My first auction win of 2021!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Claudius_Gothicus, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Claudius_Gothicus

Claudius_Gothicus Well-Known Member

I know that it's only the 3rd of January, and that it's still too early to judge, but I'm honestly hopeful that, if the year opened like this, then it will end up being at least a good one. While I didn't get this coin for the starting bid, as I was hoping I would, I still think the price was more than fair. It certainly isn't a pretty coin, but I can't be picky, since it's apparently the second known example with this bust type, and I very much doubt another one will come up for sale anytime soon:
    Claudio II.jpg
    Claudius II (268-270), antoninianus, Cyzicus mint, third emission, second officina.
    Obverse: IMP C M AVR CLAVDIVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust with paludamentum left, seen from behind, two dots beneath;
    Rev: VICTORI-A-E GOTHIC, trophy and arms flanked by two captives, SPQR in exergue;
    RIC 251 (var.), RIC V online 926.

The Cyzicus antoniniani commemorating Claudius II's victory over the Goths at Naissus were struck with a large variety of busts: some of them are common, some of them are rare and impressive (like the heroic types), and some are also rare yet garner little attention, like this one, which is an extremely rare seen-from-behind variation of the still quite rare left-facing, seen from the front bust type.
    While on my coin the face has been almost completely obliterated (I'm guessing by a bad strike?), the strike itself was very well centered, and as a result the bust has preserved all the armour detail, when compared to the other known example, which is an obverse die match: http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/926?t...e=&Reference=&page=1&mod=result&from=advanced.
    With that having been said, I'm wondering what this little wavy line in front of the bust represents:
    Dettaglio.jpg
    It clearly isn't a die crack, so is it simply armour/ a flowy piece of drapery? Could it be the backside of a shield?

Anyways, the next few weeks should be fun, since I have five other coins still in the mail, and this one will be the sixth. Post some particularly rare coins you own, your coins commemorating a victory, or anything else you feel is relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Congrats! A nice Claudius II. Very apropriate.
    And same here, by the way. I’m not sure that I’m 100% happy, because the target coin #1 got away, but the one I got was good too. I suspect it is better in hand:

0063F4A2-11B6-477F-93C7-F7DD1391E8F5.jpeg

SATRAPS OF CARIA. Hidrieus (Circa 351/0-344/3 BC). Didrachm.

Obv: Laureate head of Apollo facing slightly right.
    Rev: ΙΔΡΙΕΩΣ.
    Zeus standing left, holding lotus-tipped sceptre and labrys.

SNG von Aulock 2366; SNG Copenhagen -; SNG München 10.

Condition: Very fine.

Weight: 6.56 g.
    Diameter: 20 mm.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great Claudius Gothicus coin and quite historical!

I have resolved to get some interesting heroic bust types of Claudius, Aurelian, and Probus if I can find them in 2021.

6. aleppo

aleppo Member

grats!
    [​IMG]
    i like buildings on coins so im pleased w this. shipping cost sucks but i factored it in to what i would have bid

CYRRHESTICA. Cyrrhus. Philip I the Arab (244-249). Ae.

Obv: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΙΟΥΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟϹ ϹƐΒ .
    Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: ΔΙΟϹ ΚΤƐΒΑΤΟΥ ΚΥΡΗϹΤΩΝ.
    Temple with six columns enclosing Zeus seated facing, holding sceptre and thunderbolt, eagle at feet, garlands or curtains above; above temple, bull (?) leaping left.

RPC 7845 (8 specimens).

Condition: Very fine.

Weight: 14.90 g.
    Diameter: 29 mm.

7. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

That’s a cool coin! I love these Claudius coins as well. Here’s one a bit more common. I just wish it had SPQR on the reverse. This one was a lucky grab for only $22.
    ClaudiusIICyzicusRICV-1-252v.JPG
    Cyzicus RIC V-1 252v

Marsyas Mike, Amit Vyas, Bing and 5 others like this.
  8. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Cool coin, @Claudius_Gothicus! It's always a thrill to pick up an unrecognized rarity at auction!

I think that arc in front of the portrait is supposed to be part of a shield.

jamesicus, Claudius_Gothicus and Ryro like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

That's perhaps the paludamentum coming over the shoulder.

jamesicus and Claudius_Gothicus like this.
  10. Claudius_Gothicus

I think the second option might be the more likely one, but I'm still not sure. Any other suggestions? I believe @Tejas has quite a few Cyzicus antoniniani of this issue, so maybe he can chime in, if he has any ideas.

jamesicus likes this.
  11. Claudius_Gothicus

The coin arrived today, in an impressively short timeframe: it travelled through four different countries and yet less than 24 hours passed between when it departed and when it was delivered. I think that has to be a record!
    Anyway, here's my photo of the coin: the silvering is very good, so it's a shame about the lack of details on the face, otherwise it would have been perfect. Also, after looking at it closely, I'm pretty certain that the wavy line in front of the bust is indeed the paludamentum, as @seth77 said.
    IMP C M AVR CLAVDIVS AVG - VICTORIAE GOTHIC.jpg

12. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Possibly from the same die-cutter, at least on the obverse:

victoriae gothic2.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted