My first aquisition of 2020

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lawtoad, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I picked up this nice circulated large cent a few weeks back. Braided Hair, 1856 slanted 5 variety. Pictures are a little dark, but so is the coin. Not bad looking for a 164 yr old copper. 1856 Large Cent Obv.jpg 1856 Large Cent rev..jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Looks like there may have been a very early cleaning to the coin as might be evident in the fields. Still, a fun coin to have!!

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

From one amphibian to another, that coin is nice. I like the fancy "5" :) Good start for 2020.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

And spring is more than a month away...frogs and toads are deep in the mud right about now in these parts.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It will be 60 here on Thursday....and then 20 on Friday. :(

7. Kevin Mader

It's been extremely mild on the shoreline here in Connecticut. I believe I can stick a plastic fork into the ground. To my knowledge, this has never happened here in all the years I've been alive. I could actually metal detect right now. We should have a pretty thick frostline right now. Several inches thick.

8. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

I agree. I saw the evidence of an old cleaning when I first saw the coin. In hand it definitely has a cleaning of some sort in the distant past. I find it a challenge to find old coppers that have not been cleaned or "baby oiled" in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted