My first ancients

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Malleus Maleficarum, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

I took a step into the incredible world of the ancients recently. Two coins arrived this weekend. One is the Sicily Syracuse Agathokles AE16 - Persephone. It's about 16.5MM and 3.5g. I really love the coins with Arethusa and Persephone. They're sweet looking ladies.

The other coin I bought listed as HERA ANCIENT GREEK COIN 300 BC. After researching it, the description seemed wrong. I came to the conclusion it was Seleucid Kingdom Antiochus IV - Apollo. Rev- Apollo seated left on omphalos holding arrow and resting on bow. This coin is 12MM and 4g.

I have more on the way. One should be here in tomorrow's mail.

DSC00404.jpg DSC00392.jpg DSC00396.jpg DSC00398.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Welcome to the dark side!

4. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

lol. Dark side, congrat's !!

Malleus Maleficarum likes this.
  5. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

For someone just starting out with ancients, I think you made some great purchases. Congratulations, and welcome aboard.

6. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..those are dandy starter coins....they would dandies for a seasoned ancient collector..very nice! :)

7. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

Nice coins! By the way, love the name!

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, and welcome to Ancients - The Dark Side as we have called it for several years here at CT.

I really like those Bull designs on the Syracuse AE's. The difficult to find versions are Butting RIGHT.

BULL BUTTING LEFT

upload_2020-10-13_9-25-5.png
    Sicily Syracuse 317-289 BC AE 23 Hemilitron Agathokles Kore Bull Dolphin Left

upload_2020-10-13_9-25-49.png
    Sicily Syracuse Hieron II 275-269 BC AE 22 Persephone Bull LEFT

upload_2020-10-13_9-26-43.png
    Sicily Messana Mamertini 288-278 BCE AE 28 16-8g Ares - Bull Butting

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Carl Wilmont, tibor, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

BULL BUTTING RIGHT

upload_2020-10-13_9-29-13.png

Sicily Syracuse Hieron II 275-269 BC AE 15 Persephone Bull RIGHT Rare

upload_2020-10-13_9-30-14.png

Sicily Syracuse Hieron II compare Butting Bulls Right and Left Rev

Carl Wilmont, tibor, ominus1 and 4 others like this.
  10. Alegandron

11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Chocolate Chip, NO THANKS. Now, if it were Snickerdoodles you could count me in Alegandron... Great coins Malleus M. Good luck.

12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Blazingly nice start!!! :singing: Those are great looking! :happy:

If these are an indication of your taste, looking forward to the next posts. ;)

13. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@Malleus Maleficarum very welcome to Ancients, the best place to be; for me it is a very bright side :happy:

Is your second coin a serrate or is it in a frame?

DonnaML, ominus1 and Alegandron like this.
  14. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

I am new to acient coins, I normally collect silver american or silver 1oz foreign coins so when I started to get acient coins I went with silver but now am intrigued by the brass/copper ones too. Do you mind if I ask a good round about price on these? I know there are alot of different variables and condition is alot, but I have seen or look to be good deals on these coins and with good markings on them . I think I might start collecting these too. They look great by the way.

+VGO.DVCKS and ominus1 like this.
  16. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i think you'd like it Everett....there's a lot more action in ancients compared to other coin collecting...kinda like comparing a crap game to bridge...:)

+VGO.DVCKS, Everett Guy and DonnaML like this.
  17. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

Yes, its def alittle more exciting than just regular coins thats for sure. Maybe thats because I just started collecting the acient ones.

+VGO.DVCKS and ominus1 like this.
  18. Malleus Maleficarum

Malleus Maleficarum Well-Known Member

It's a serrate.

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, I got dragged into the dark side. I heard the siren song and was shown splendid delights, now I'm hooked. I look forward to this new aspect of numismatics.

I got another coin in the mail today, I'll post it in another thread.

+VGO.DVCKS, ominus1 and cmezner like this.
  19. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

@ominus1, I. So. Need That. ....Even comparing poker to bridge.... Even if all the hardware is parked next to the coat rack.

ominus1 likes this.
  20. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Compared to a 200-year-old US penny, a 2,000-year-old Greek bronze is an amazing bargain. Expect to pay anywhere from $10 for a coin in just good enough condition to ID it, to $150 for a typical Greek bronze in really nice condition. You should not have any difficulty finding decent Greek bronzes in the $20-$50 range.

Ancient Roman coins from the 3rd-4th century A.D. are even cheaper, starting around $5 for common, identifiable examples.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted