My first ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Paddy54, Feb 24, 2010.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A couple points that may be of interest: It is a bit unusual for the quadriga to have two riders. This one is cataloged as Mars and Nerio (not someone you see on coins with regularity and I have no idea where the catalogs got that ID). The X on the obverse shows the denarius had a value of 10 asses however the coin dates to 138 BC which is slightly after the retariff to 16 asses. Shortly after this time we start seeing the X replaced with a ligate XVI which looks like a star. Condition purists will mark it down as harshly cleaned with corrosion damage but it is still not a bad coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

MODS..someone hacked into T$'s profile! We all knw he would never say this about ancients (which he calls dirt).

Also, Nice denarius, I too love quadriga's.

stainless

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Nope believe it or not this is the REAL T$.... the one who called the ancient coins dirt...well....that was T¢, my evil twin. :)

5. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Well T Cheddar, it's good to see we are finally capturing you, now get an new avatar with something 100ish A.D.

BTW, congrats on 1 year!

stainless

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Took me like 1 year to change my avatar. lol
    I like it though, I think I'm keeping this one for another year.. :)

Thanks Stainless

T$

7. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Junior Member

Very nice coin!! I really like the lime green patina. I've recently taken an interest in ancient Greek coins but just need to find a decent seller. Where did you happen upon that one? Either way...you did good! :kewl:

8. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

an e bay seller who I have made purchases from before.....

9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Paddy54,

Those 2 first ancients are stunners. I wish my 2 first had been so beautiful (that was 32 years ago...)

Congrats
    Q

10. Paddy54

I received the coin today... OMG the picture does not do justice... Paddy is one happy camper!

11. Paddy54

One that got away

[​IMG][​IMG] I really wanted this one bid 426. it went for 431.usd. Kingdom Spain Juan I Seville 1379-1390 Real

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Too bad you didn't get it Paddy, it's a really nice one.
    You'll be more lucky next time, probably

Q

13. Paddy54

Thanks Q, How are you today? Any new finds? Hope you are your's are having a wonderful day! Regards Paddy

Draft saved Draft deleted