my first ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by bobbeth87, Nov 10, 2009.

1. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

I attended my first coin show last month and have always wanted a Widow's Mite. I teach Sunday School and it would come in handy there, and I also used it when I was teaching the boy scouts the coin collecting merit badge.

Anyway, it has a star on one side and an anchor on the other. The specifics are on the little label included with it (in the pic). And, I didn't pay the $55 price tag that is on there, I paid $15. I know NOTHING about acients......was I taken? or is this a good coin and a fair deal.....

Please let me know one way or the other....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

well first, congrats :D
    Though I'm trying to find one myself that i like, its not realy an area Im into and knowledgable in.
    In genral most seem a bit to pricey for me, but I think $15 is a good price :)

4. stainless

stainless ANTONINIVS

Nice pick up! $15 is not to shabby,but slightly on the high side.

stainless

5. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

not sure a coin THAT old in that condition can really be assigned a value...
    was it worth 15$ to you? its a pretty cool coin to have, I would hang on to it... especially with what you mentioned it sounds like a neat thing to have.
    Then again I know nothing about ancients and it could be 4 pennies glued together with dirt on them for all I know :D

6. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Yes, I'm definitely keeping it. I think it is very cool. It was worth $15 to me.....but I still want to know if I got a good value in case I ever get another one, and just for my education....

7. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'll go with the $15 as fair but not a great price. Condition is everything and this one is rough. The type exists by the millions and there are many people who want them (generally a pair because of the Bible story). If you get a smooth surfaced one with decent centering on each side, the $55 is not excessive. If you can see the Hebrew letters between the spokes, it is worth even more. If you want a scrap of copper with enough detail to tell it was this coin, $5 is closer. Many of these are sold to non coin collectors who figure anything that old has to be ugly and are willing to pay VF prices for AG coins.

8. FarmerB

FarmerB Senior Member

Not a bad price.
    Kinda corroded, but something that you can pass around during talks and not be afraid of handling!
    I agree there are plenty of these around.
    As well as most ancients - lots around

9. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

I paid $7 for one in similar condition, but it's not easy to find them for that price at a general interest shop. Still, for $15 you got a very neat coin to show your students, which I know will be fun and interesting for them (and you!).

10. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

If you are happy with what you paid, then it's a good and fair price.
    And 15 $ is just 15 $, while you have an ancient coin in hand, and not a bad one.
    If I may, try not to see what it might have been, but what you've got

Q

11. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Nice find and $15 is not that bad a price, I have seen them sell for higher and in the same condition, yes sure if you hunt about you could find one for a lot less but for a 1st buy, Not bad :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted