My first Ancient

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by AnemicOak, Apr 12, 2006.

1. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Here's another one for you guys...

[​IMG]

Constantine I. A.D. 307-337. Æ reduced follis (19 mm, 3.26 g).
    Thessalonica, A.D. 326-328.
    CONSTAN-TINVS AVG, laureate head right
    PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG, camp-gate with two turrets; star above; ./SMTSG. RIC 153.

I know it's just a common campgate, but I thought it was nice. Plus I find Constantine very interesting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

So far,all of your Romans are in amazing condition,with deep strikes and good centering.I also like Constantine coins and recently picked up one that was minted in London!I actually don't have one with the camp gate or fortress reverse but one interesting thing to look for is the gradual introduction of Christian symbols onto his coins after he converted and became the Holy Roman Emperor.Earlier issues had the usual Roman gods,Jupiter,Sol...etc. and later you see crosses and chi-rho's
    (P over X),a symbol representing Christ..

Attached Files:

4. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Very cool info Mik. I defiately plan on some stuff from London at some point.

I bought one more (getting bored with me posting these yet?) :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

This is probably it for the moment (I do have one bid in on eBay, so we'll see what happens there). I'm going to sit back & do some more reading (ordered a copy of ERIC) and enjoy the few coins I've bought so far. Ancient history (well history in general really) has always been a favorite subject so this has been tons of fun so far. I'm surprised by the number of obvious fakes on ebay (not really sure why I'm surprised).

Thanks to everyone who's helped me and answered questions in this thread and my last thread on the subject.

5. volber

volber New Member

I got one bronze roman coin from my grandpa (diocletian)
    I also got one silver roman denarius about 150bc in nice condition and a bunch of 10-15 very worn roman coins I love anciant coins

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

volber,
    If your father got these in Romania,I'm sure he had a lot of opportunities to obtain them.Romania is of course,named for Rome and from what I understand,people find these coins frequently.I'd love to go there with a metal detector.My idea of heaven.

Draft saved Draft deleted