My first ancient for 2019/ Triton XXII

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

panzerman, That aureus is breathtaking :jawdrop:, a museum piece for sure!

panzerman likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice coin, I should mention that I bid a lot more than 500 euro for high grade Roman gold and never get anything. In fact I bid a whole lot more than that for lower grade bronze where I am sucessful. Bid quite high on 2 damaged Roman gold coins out of the Heritage NYICS but didn't get anything: even pieces with damage.

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

That coin I mentioned (500 euros) from Elsens was a Byzantine AV Solidus from Constans III/ with his three sons on obverse, struck at Constantinople Mint in 651AD. The coin was FDC/ but 500-700 was estimate. The Elagalabus (Triton II) was at the time a written prebid sent via mail. That coin at the time was estimated 7-10K. I bid 7K lowball and ended up winning. Recently, a similar coin sold for 60K in Swiss auction. Even today, the more "common Emperors" aurei like Marcus Aurelius sell for 10K+ in FDC. Western Roman Solidi (common Emperors) 2K+. Some Byzantine Solidi/ Histamenon/ Hyperpers can be had for less then 1000 euros in FDC. I just won a Papal States coin tonight, that belonged to Eric Newman Coll.
    I got it for 2200US+ fees=2650US. Mr. Newman bought the coin in 1962 for 18US !!!!!! Here she is, s little gem.
    AV 1/2 Scudo d'oro ND Year IX (1709)
    Papal States
    Pope Clemente IX 1700-21
    Obverse: Saint Peter
    Reverse: Papal Coat of Arms 4645788l.jpg
    Not ancient, but still nice:)

Puckles, dlhill132, Ed Snible and 3 others like this.
  5. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

That's an NAC picture, not a CNG one. Is that the exact coin or just the same type?

6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

panzerman, Nice score on the 1/2 Scudo d'oro ;)! The portrait of Saint Peter is beautifully done & the tastefully engraved background rays accent the portrait well. So Eric Newman scored it for $18 :jawdrop:? That's quite a steal even for 1962, but I can also remember seeing choice mint state American double eagles for $50 :wacky: in the early 60s. Just out of curiosity how did NGC grade the coin?

panzerman likes this.
  7. panzerman

Its the same type. Here is my own photo but quality of my photography is not the best. e2120dceaf193e43468b32cf7319b576.jpg 0a36b53a19ea352c0273085c5d7cc934.jpg

8. panzerman

They graded it MS-64. However, there was a Ecu d'or au Porce-pic Lyon Mint MS-64 Louis XII that looked only EF, i-Numis had one that was graded splendide (GEF) that was far better quality. The TPG firms do a poor job on hammered coinage. But even with the Double Eagles, I have seen MS-63s that shows lots of wear from handling.

9. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

Nice start to the year!

panzerman likes this.
  10. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Got my invoice and paid it this morning. Turns out I only won one coin but it was my primary target so I'm still super happy with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted