My first ancient for 2019/ Triton XXII

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 8, 2019.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I made it back home from cleaning snow, just in time for Triton XXII session 2. Ended up getting this nice addition.
    AV Stater dated ONV=BE 459= 162/3AD
    Eupator I King of the Bosphorus
    obv: Diademed/ draped bust of Eupator Right/ Club
    rev: Confronted Busts of Marcus Aurelius/ Lucius Verus/ ONV
    MacDonald 461/1
    19mm. 7.79g.
    I was originally after the Hadrian/ Rhoemetalces AV Stater/ but it went for 5K:( 11000496.jpg

chrsmat71, galba68, Pavlos and 43 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

Very nice looking coin!

panzerman likes this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Starting off with a bang!

panzerman likes this.
  5. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

2019 will be the year of ancients for me, I have not gotten one yet but soon I am going to get some money to buy some first ones. Awsome coins from this community as always and I can't wait to be a part of it. Now as they say, "Lets get this bread" am I right lads?

Orielensis, Obone, Ryro and 3 others like this.
  6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I particularly like the artistic 'loose drawing stroke' style of the portraits on your new coin. Fabulous. Congrats!

Nathan401, Theodosius and panzerman like this.
  7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

hats pretty cool

LaCointessa and panzerman like this.
  8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coin @panzerman - this is the year I am finally going to break into gold, I have a couple bids on solidi in right now.

Nathan401 and panzerman like this.
  9. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

For some reason ancients seem to be extremely hot this year at the NYICS. I saw a sestersius or two that I liked and doubled previous auction PR's and sent the bids in but still didn't win any pieces. I think the Morrison collection created a great deal of interest. But like many things, I guess it could be seasonal?

panzerman likes this.
  10. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

Hi panzerman,
    your dated coin's very interesting, but I have no satisfying documentation about these Bosphorus' staters, and one of them is according to me questioning. It is a year 428 stater, then dated 131-132 AD. Hadrian's portrait could so expected to be found, as on this one:
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=48517#
    but surprisingly, a clearly different one that can be compared to Antoninus does either exist:
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1483116
    This last example is not a single one.

Is somebody questioning as I am, and if Antoninus has been recognized by at least one author, what did he suggest or what can be suggested ?

panzerman likes this.
  11. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

Clearer with a photo included :
    CNG 66, Lot: 1030 and
    Ponterio & Associates January 2013 N.Y.I.N.C. (08.01.2013) Lot 185
    upload_2019-1-9_21-9-28.jpeg

12. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

I forgot to notice that earlier Cotys' coins present Hadrian's portrait, and that later Rhoemetalkes' coins present Hadrian's portrait too.
    On CNG's stater, one can read : Rhoemetalkes.

7Calbrey likes this.
  13. panzerman

Hi Aetimare, there is a good book avaliable from CNG
    It lists all the types. Photos are not the best, but it has great data. qDy9G7Wj3gdGW6PnKw5w4S3fBSs8i2.jpg

14. Aestimare

Aestimare Active Member

Thak you very much panzerman !

15. panzerman

Hope you win them! Glad you are going for gold. I find that gold even though a soft metal has a lot of positive qualities. It is does not tarnish like silver/ copper, not affected by saltwater (salvaged coins look as fresh as the day they where struck) Gold coins where treated better throughout history and thus are found in higher quality.
    John

LaCointessa likes this.
  16. panzerman

Anyone know where the Staters where minted?????

17. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

panzerman, Congrats on your score! I noticed the price you paid was no bargain :smuggrin:.
    Everything was going for crazy prices. I ended up bidding on 16 lots & got steamrolled on everyone :banghead:. The one lot I felt sure on is pictured below, #743, a Tet of Caracalla, from Neapolis, Judaea, estimate $1,000.00. I bid $3,500.00 & it sold for $6,500.00, not including the buyers fee :mad:!
    [​IMG]

panzerman and Bing like this.
  18. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I bid on two lots. The first I had placed a high prebid on and planned to possibly bid more during the live auction if I had to. Thankfully it went under estimate, didn't even move during the live auction and my prebid held out.

The second lot I bid on and it seemed like my bid was accepted and the lot closed at that price but I was not awarded the lot. I contacted CNG and they seemed to think I had not won it but wouldn't be sure until they double checked bids and sent invoices so perhaps a room bid was entered at the same time for the same price, I'm not sure. At any rate, I know I won one coin which was my primary target and I possibly won a second.

On that subject, how long do Triton invoices usually take to get sent out?

panzerman likes this.
  19. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

red spork, It was a long auction so you might have to wait 2 days. Congrats on winning something ;).

panzerman likes this.
  20. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

Thanks for the info. I'm fine with waiting, just anxious to know if I actually won my second target or not. And thanks for the congratulations, this is the first time I've ever won anything in a Triton auction.

21. panzerman

I once had sent a prebid to Elsen Auction. After I checked prices realized, I was out bid by triple my bid of 500 euros. Three weeks later, Elsen contacted me, if I was still interested in my lot. Apparently, my bid held out until room auction. During the actual auction, it went from 500 to 1500. But the winner never paid for coin, so I got it for a bargain. My first ever win, was from Triton I (FDC aureus Trajan Decius) stunning coin. It never arrived, still MIA:( That was the only time that happened to me. I ended up letting CNG keep my $ till Triton II where I ended up winning a FDC Elagalabus aureus....this one arrived:happy: But CNG sent it via a "neutral" reg. letter/ no value/ details/ hence no theft problems. b3b6634a6f67b50eb76385be6cbbe0ed.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted