My First Ancient Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Widow’s Mites

The Alexander Jannaeus (Hendon numbers 1150, 1151, 1152, & 1153) are the favorites to be called the Widow’s Mites. My belief is that since the anchor and the star are considered Christian symbols—folks like to assume that coins featuring such symbols are the type from the Scriptures. Those who struck the coins were not Christians however and these coins would have been a century+ old during the time of Jesus’ Life on earth. Even so, the Jannaeus lepton and prutah are sold as Widow's Mites. I think that the coins minted during the reign of Valerius Gratus under Tiberius are better candidates. That's okay—I'm willing to continue to call the Jannaeus coins Widow's Mites and use them as examples of the coin when relating the the story in Bible class. I'll also continue to gift them to folks under my care in my family and hospital ministries and my addiction recovery ministry. The Jannaeus coins work fine to raise the spirits of those struggling with life’s burdens.

wid1.jpg

wid4.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I, too, love widow's mites, as do the recipients of your thoughtful gifts! This is one of my favorites!

Alexander Jannaeus Prutah 1150.jpg

Alegandron, dadams, Bing and 7 others like this.
  4. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thanks, @Roman Collector ! The viridian color on your excellent prutah is beautiful.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

My absolute favourite coin!:D

Valerius Gratus would make sense. Maybe this one?

5A6367F8-BB30-4EC5-9703-9368FC0C61C5.jpeg

Thanks so much for everything you do, Deacon Ray!

Erin

Bing and Deacon Ray like this.
  6. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Here is my first, over 30 years ago. Does anyone still have their first?

00013x0.jpg
    Valerian I, 253 – 260 AD
    Silver Antoninianus, Rome Mint, 21mm, 3.88 grams

Obverse: IMP C LIC VALERIANVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Valerian right.
    Reverse: RESTITVT ORIENTIS, The Orient standing on left presenting wreath to Valerian who stands on the right.

References:
    RIC287

Cost:
    $29

Provenance:
    Local Antique Show, 1985.

Draft saved Draft deleted