My final coin of '19 : Metapontion Stater

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Brian Bucklan, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

This interesting coin showed up in my mail yesterday.

Metapontion AR Stater ca. 510-480 BC : 21mm, 8.1gms

Obv: Ear of Corn, grasshopper to left and META (retrograde) to right
    Rev: Incuse Ear of Corn
    Metapontion Stater.jpg
    I found a couple more somewhat similar examples, and they all refer to the insect shown as a grasshopper. It somehow makes more sense to me if this was actually a locust, and not a grasshopper. Perhaps a swarm of locusts devastated crops in the region at that time and this coin was in response to the event. Who knows. What's interesting is that other than the locust/grasshopper (and bee of course) there are not a lot of insect species depicted on Greek coins.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Andres2, Theodosius, Ajax and 12 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Rare indeed. I would have preferred a bee to provide honey at the end of this year. Jokes and cheers. Happy New Year.

Brian Bucklan likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Wow, very interesting! What do you suppose those dotted lines are in the background of the obverse?...representing perhaps corn silk, or wheat??? :happy:;)

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am liking that grasshopper big time. Awesome coin. What is the value of this coin ?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  6. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

Great coin—congrats!

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I have had this pic of insect coins for a while. We I finally get other Canadian collections done I will want to try and get these ancient coins...

imagesCADDCP2X copy.jpg

Bing likes this.
  8. savitale

savitale Well-Known Member

The grasshopper type is my very favorite of these Metapontion staters. There are some which have the outline of a dolphin on the reverse. I read a CNG description which conjectures that the grasshopper (or locust) represents a disastrous plague, and the dolphin represents Apollo who would disperse the locusts and save the people from starvation. Who knows. Nice story though. And a nice coin!

9. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Metapontion Ar Nomos 540-510 B.C. Obv. Ear of grain Rv. The same incuse Noe 19 8.20 grms 28mm Photo by W. Hansen metapontum23.jpg

10. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe. I think it is just a natural pairing. Grasshoppers are all over fields.

TIF likes this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My guess is barley.
    [​IMG]

Those in the US have trouble here because the word corn in the US means a specific species 'Maize' while n the UK it means a more generic grain. Most of our traditional references came from the UK and use the word corn in their way.

Draft saved Draft deleted