My favorite....

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, May 15, 2019.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

my favorite grease filled die coin.... D3FA30B7-1873-46C8-BAC1-2AF3557EF0F7.jpeg 6991EE7D-BA32-411A-80AD-FE283DBF97E0.jpeg

dwhiz likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow has many greasers in paw. Those ATB quarters are full of them. Meow's favorite greaser is the Washington snot rocket greaser of a 2018d Minnesota ATB. Meow also likes this Ellis Island smog alert greaser.

WIN_20190507_20_58_30_Pro.jpg WIN_20190203_06_16_31_Pro.jpg WIN_20190203_06_18_15_Pro.jpg

Stevearino likes this.
  4. Devin E. Franklin

Devin E. Franklin New Member

Most grease-filled die errors are pretty common, and it would have to be a pretty extreme case to make it worth a substantial premium. Usually, when you see a coin that has some of the letters/numbers missing, it is most likely due to a filled die or the coin was intentionally altered. Usually, alterations can be detected by close examination such as with a microscope where you can see that the metal has been moved or scraped in some way. This would be considered Post Mint Damage (PMD) and usually relegates the coin to either face value or melt value if it is made of a precious metal like silver or gold.

If you want to get an idea what the more valuable errors are selling for, I might suggest that you browse through the listings on Fred Weinberg's site. There you can see all kinds of errors like off-center strikes, struck on wrong planchets, clad layers missing, etc.

Most collectors enjoy the hobby for the pleasure it gives them, and making money from it is secondary. Sure, they would like nothing more than to be able to buy a coin that increases in value or find one out of circulation that is worth much more than face value, but when you stop and think about it, most modern issues are produced by the tens of millions, and finding that one-in-a-million coin does not happen all that often.

If you're searching circulated coins hoping to make some money on errors, then I would suggest that you buy rolls of half dollars or quarters from the bank and look for the 90% silver coins that were produced through 1964 instead. For example, a 1964 Kennedy half contains .36169 oz of pure silver and would be worth roughly $11.50. I'm not saying that you will be successful finding them most of the time, but when you can make about 1000% profit on each one, wouldn't it make more sense looking for them rather than errors (which will probably give you massive headaches anyway). NOTE: Kennedy half dollars struck 1965-1970 are 40% silver and contain .1479 oz of pure silver.

5. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Well actually I am NOT perusing coins with the hopes of making a profit. I have been metal detecting for a number of years and have made some very nice finds. So far I have found and returned 24 items to their rightful owners, including a ring valued at over $8000 and refused payment although a few people have made donations to the local museums in my name.

And I have a number of items on display in various museums. Soon I am traveling to Scotland to place an item I found in my family’s castle. The item has two references to my family including when one helped Robert Bruce murder John Comyn which allowed him to take the throne.

I have been searching half dollar rolls and have found halves as old as an ‘07 Barber. My wife loves looking for the silvers and is quite lucky.

Thanks for the information. I have a lot to learn about coins I admit. But I’m NOT in it to make a buck.

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Need to check your math half dollars pre 1965 have about $5.40 of pure silver when spot price is around $15 per ounce
    Silver dollars are more in the $11.50 range.

Draft saved Draft deleted