My Favorite Martian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, May 7, 2022.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha! well that's a happy ending AJ...:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Wow, Joe, nice recovery from an "overreaction"!...:jawdrop::joyful::D...I'm surprised the dealer had it long enough to correct that mistake! :happy:;):rolleyes:

AncientJoe likes this.
  4. nerosmyfavorite68

nerosmyfavorite68 Well-Known Member

I enjoy your coins and I remember really enjoying your c. 2000 website.

Yeah, that's a bit true; something can be rare and fairly cheap if there's little demand.

Roman Collector likes this.
  5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This one is rather similar to your, yet it has a reverse legend in the accusative case ("Martem"– to Mars). Compared to the nominative ("Mars") and genitive ("Marti" – of Mars), the accusative is rarely seen on Roman coins:
    Rom – Gordian III, Sesterz, Mars.png
    Gordian III, Roman Empire, AE sestertius, 244 AD, Rome mint. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FEL AVG; bust of Gordian III, draped, cuirassed and laureate, r. Rev: MARTEM PROPVGNATOREM, Mars, helmeted, in military attire, hastening r., holding transverse spear in r. hand and shield in l. hand; in fields flanking, SC. 30mm, 23.58g. Ref: RIC IV Gordian III 333.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    Edessa, DonnaML, Bing and 3 others like this.
  6. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Excellent acquisition @Roman Collector.

In this thread one really enjoys a wonderful gallery of Mars. Thank you all for sharing.

Trajan was one of the greatest military emperors of the Roman Empire; at his death the Roman Empire reached its maximum extent.

Denarius, Rome 108 AD
    18 x 19 mm, 3.065 g
    RIC II Trajan 114; RSC 63; Sear 3119; BMCRE 265;

Obv.: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P Bust of Trajan, laureate, draped on left shoulder, to right
    Rev.: COS V P P SPQR OPTIMO PRINC Mars, helmeted, in military dress, advancing left, holding Victory in r. hand and trophy in l.

upload_2022-5-8_16-54-28.png upload_2022-5-8_16-54-53.png

Edessa, svessien, DonnaML and 5 others like this.
  7. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

...starring Ray Walston and Bill Bixby, circa mid-60s for 2 or 3 seasons :woot:

8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Great coins.. here is my best depiction of Mars:
    upload_2022-5-8_22-44-54.png

I really doubt anyone can have a worse depiction of Mars than this..
    upload_2022-5-8_22-46-39.png
    Gallienus AR Antoninianus. Rome, AD 257-258.
    Obverse: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate bust right
    Reverse: MARTI PACIFERO, Mars standing left, holding olive-branch, spear & shield,
    With a very old (19th or early 20th century) numbered tag glued to the obverse.

I purchased a few of these Gallienus coins with collector tags glued to the coin.. weird? Just a couple of dollars each. This is about the worst of the lot - others are slightly better coins with legible numbers on the tags. The glue is very roughly smeared.. I find it interesting. There is history in the coin and history in the collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted