My favorite 1970's silver art bar "finds"

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 1970 Silver Art, Jun 6, 2009.

1. verzameldirk

verzameldirk New Member

00000000000000.jpg 001.jpg

does anyone know of such discrepancies ?

Dick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. verzameldirk

verzameldirk New Member

Silver art bars Bars Lighthouses

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

does anyone know anything about this lighthouse, who minted these bars and how many are there of

Dick

4. 1970 Silver Art

1970 Silver Art Silver Art Bar Collector

Today, I went to various coin shops in my area to go silver art bar hunting. I found and bought this silver art bar at one of the area coin shops that I went to. Here is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a "Lovemans" silver art bar. It was minted in 1975 by the World Wide Mint. I paid spot silver price for it at one of the local area coin shops that I went to today. The spot silver price was $36.35 at the time that I bought this bar. This bar is toned. The 2009 silver art bar price guide mentions that 500 of these were minted but apparently that there were more of these minted because the serial number on the side of this silver bar is #624 (see the last picture of this post).

5. 1970 Silver Art

With the help of ebay bucks, I was able to buy the following silver art bar at good price..................................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1-oz "Lovable Pandas" silver art bar (ISIC-1V). It was minted in 1973 by International Silver Ingot Co. Mintage number for this particular art bar is 500 according to the 4th edition of Archie Kidd's silver art bar guidebook. I bought this last Tuesday (July 12) on ebay for $33.90 (spot silver was $36.15 at that time). I received it in the mail today and I was able to take a couple of pictures of it. I will have to admit that the two above pictures are IMO the best silver art bar pictures that I took so far since I started taking pictures of some of my silver art bars.

Generally speaking, silver art bars sell for very high premiums on ebay. The ebay BIN price for this bar was about $60 but the reason that I was able to pay only $33.90 for this particular silver art bar is because I able use my ebay bucks certificate that I earned in the last quarter to bring this price down.

6. 1970 Silver Art

Those bars were created by the Postal Commemorative Society. Sorry for taking so long with a response. It was not mentioned in the most recent silver art bar guidebook that I currently have. It took me a while to find out but I found an ebay auction on a similar silver art bar and the description mentioned the Postal Commemorative Society.

7. verzameldirk

verzameldirk New Member

Thanks for your reaction

Dick

8. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

Royal Canadian Mint... 200 anniversary 1973

IMG_2310.jpg

9. verzameldirk

verzameldirk New Member

its a error bar the police is from 1873 !!!!!!

greetings Dick the Dutchman

10. 1970 Silver Art

A silver art bar purchase from a coin show today........................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1-oz "World Series 1978" silver art bar (TM-19). It was minted in 1978 by a private company called The Mint. These are very hard to find at coin shows and the mintage number for this particular silver art bar is 150. Serial # 75 (of 150). I paid $60.00 for it today (spot closed today at $42.90/oz).

11. 1970 Silver Art

I meant to post this particular silver art bar find last month but better late than never............................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a gold-plated version of the "Babe Ruth Batting" 1-oz .999 silver art bar (SCL-5G). I bought it last month from my main local dealer and I paid $43.40 for it (spot silver finished at $40.55 on the day of purchase). This silver art bar was minted in 1973 by Silver Creations Ltd. Serial # 999. The mintage number for this version of the Babe Ruth silver art bar is 1000. This bar attracts me because I love collecting sports-themed silver art bars and this hits the spot for me. This is a very nice looking art bar in my opinion.

12. 1970 Silver Art

My most recent silver art bar purchase.........................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a 1-oz Interama Medallions "Expo '74 World's Fair" silver art bar (Interama-1). I bought this yesterday from an area coin dealer and I paid $47.94 for it(Spot silver closed at $40.66/oz yesterday). I could be wrong on this but this appears to be a low-mintage bar because I have seen only one on ebay in the last 6 months.

13. verzameldirk

verzameldirk New Member

A very nice catch

Dick

14. cyrd

cyrd New Member

Hi everyone--

I've been doing research lately on silver art bars as I have a small collection that I'm looking to sell. This thread has shown me just how many interested collectors there are out there. It appears to me that art bars tend to fetch a fair price on eBay (better than dealers and the cash-for-gold people), but I wonder if anyone could offer any more advice on reaching collectors who might be interested?

I have the following 1970's silver art bars:

- The Hamilton Mint - Wonders of America Series, 9 sets of 5 - 1 oz. 0.999 silver ingots
    - The Hamilton Mint - Norman Rockwell's Four Freedom Series in walnut display frame, 1 set of 4 - 1000 grain 0.999 silver art bars
    - The Wittenauer Precious Metals Guild, Longines Symphonette Society - America's Natural Legacy Series, 2 sets of 2 - 1 oz. 0.925 silver coins

Does anyone know collectors that might be interested in specific sets to complete their collections?

Thank you!

dave

15. 1970 Silver Art

I do not know of anyone personally that is looking for the '70's silver art bars that you listed. I still think that ebay will be your best bet to sell those silver art bars that you listed but I will be conservative by saying that they will probably fetch a winning bid of between $4 to $7 over spot on ebay. If you sell on ebay, then other silver art bar collectors will see them and will bid on the ones that they are looking for. You have a larger marketplace on ebay, then anywhere else IMO. The Hamilton Mint bars are common minted '70's art bars. The Norman Rockwell Four Freedom Series will probably do better since it is a complete set. Complete sets of any silver art bar theme tend to do well on ebay based on my past observations but I do not know exactly what that set will sell for on ebay.

16. cyrd

cyrd New Member

Thank you for the advice - much appreciated!

17. 1970 Silver Art

You are welcome. :)

While I still think that Ebay seems to be the better bet for selling silver art bars, one downside to ebay are the fees. There are Ebay and Paypal fees after the auction ends and the item sells. I have never sold anything on ebay and I could be wrong on this but I think that ebay fees are amount to about 12% of winning auction bid on a regular ebay auction. If I am wrong on this, then someone will correct me.

18. verzameldirk

verzameldirk New Member

19. 1970 Silver Art

One of my latest silver art bar purchases........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a 1-oz "Old Barbary Coast" silver art bar (USSC-198A). It was minted in 1973 by United States Silver Corporation. I paid $45 for it today at the show (spot finished at $34.13/oz).

20. 1970 Silver Art

Old '70's Sports-themed silver art bars are my favorite........................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a "Vince Lombardi" 1-oz silver art bar (COL-19). It was minted in 1973 by Colonial Mint. I bought this today from a dealer and I paid $38.39 for it (11-25-2011 spot was $30.98/oz). Serial # 611. The TN sales tax of 9.25% pushed the final price to $38.39. I bought it since I have a love for sports-themed silver art bars and I did not mind paying that price to get it. The latest silver art bar price guide does not list a mintage for this particular silver art bar but, as far as I know, most Colonial Mint silver art bars are fairly common. What I like most about it is that the reverse side has a football-shaped indention.

21. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

Here`s some of my latest art bar finds in the last month.
    100_1101.jpg
    The bright light is actually a 5 gram Johnson Matthey bar. The top bar is a 1/2 ounce "silver eagle" from Walla Walla. The Thanksgiving 73 is unmarked as far as weight & purity, and is from the Columbus mint. (only paid $5 for it) Three 1/4 ounce squares. A United States Silver Corporation Memorial Day 1975 bar that has two paratroopers, a plane and a ship on it. A bi-centennial Buffalo bar. A tombstone bar that reads "Here Lies Lester Moore, four slugs from a 44, No Les No More," with the reverse reading "Tombstone Arizona, the town too tuff to die." And lastly a Hamilton mint bar from the "Our Greatest Americans" series of Thomas Edison.

Draft saved Draft deleted