My father's pocket Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mdbb, Nov 10, 2022.

1. mdbb

mdbb Member

Growing up my dad always carried a huge amount of change in his pocket with a big silver dollar in the mix. You would always know he was coming from the sound of all the coins in his pocket (at least $3-6 in loose change). Whenever I would ask for some quarters for an Arcade or a toy capsule dispenser, this silver dollar would always stand out. I always had assumed it was just an Kennedy half dollar or an Eisenhower until I just recently found this again. Found it in a random box of stuff away from the coin safe.

The reverse is basically gone, there are no details. With a microscope, I can barely make out the leaves under the eagle holding the arrows but I'm thinking its just pareidolia. The obverse however, you can still make out some details of the back of Lady Liberty's head.

This coin weighs 24G. The obverse and reverse reeds are rubbed off but you can still see some reeds on the edge in certain spots.

I guess I dont have any questions about this other than would Nic-A-Date work in revealing a date or a mint mark? That's my biggest question about this coin. Thanks for looking!

20221110_104246~2.jpg 20221110_104255~2.jpg 20221110_105342~2.jpg 20221110_104937~2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

No, Nic-A-Date won't do anything to help. One member here had some success raising dates on SLQs -- I think he was using vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, but I don't remember for sure -- but it doesn't work very reliably.

I'd keep the coin as it is, as the treasure that it is. :) Thanks for sharing!

serafino and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That is so very cool. And what a connection with your dad...... My grandad always carried one of those "Lucky Penny" charms. I always remember going to grandads house and sneaking into his bedroom so I could admire that piece on his dresser. Probably my earliest fascination with coins.... And bless him, @lordmarcovan found one for me just very recently. It stays right here in front of me on my desk and I fondly remember my old grandpop several times a day looking at the old piece.

lucky.jpg

5. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Yes a special story, a special coin.

6. PamR

Yours special as well!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I put some old worn buffalo's in 50/50 mixture of peroxide and vinegar one time. Out of a half dozen old nickels seems I got a date out of three of them. The only thing was the mixture turned the nickels ghost white.... They were still worth a nickel though!

Inspector43 and PamR like this.
  8. Millard

Millard Coindog

nice connection to memories of your dad. I remember as a kid how great it felt to have that Eisenhower dollar 'pocket piece' to carry around. If you find a way to ID the date please share. Not that this means anything but just looking at the obverse I swear I can see 1887. Probably just my old eyes and some paradolia(?) nice post.

PamR likes this.
  9. PamR

This may sound silly and I surely don’t want you to damage it but get some parchment paper or light waxed paper and get some soft chalk or even chalk paint to paint onto the paper over the coin. Tape each side of the paper to the table to keep coin still. Sounds silly but it’s an old school trick. :)

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Not much left of that one!

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Nic-a-date doesn’t work on silver. Best to leave as is and remember dad with it. The memories are worth more than that coin will ever be worth.

serafino likes this.
  12. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

That is really cool, and has incredible sentimental value. Wonderful pocket piece.

13. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

I collect lowball and all I can say is WOW! Sadly there is no way to ever know the date of that coin. It is way too worn. I have never seen such wear. My old man hated anything larger than a quarter. I remember once he got a silver half in change and was fuming. My grandma was like, that's silver you should save that. My old man would have preferred to hand that to a homeless person than have that boat anchor in his pocket.

14. jamor1960

jamor1960 The More I learn, the Less I know....

That's really cool!! My avatar is my pocket piece, I've got it in a bezel and use it as my key chain also. I've been tempted to take it out and use as just a pocket piece, like your grand father, but ke3ep talking myself out of it. Its wearing some, but nothing like his!

15. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted