My Father's collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I am just happy for you that the items 13-19 came back genuine !

At today's gold spot of 1182.00 the AGW value of these 2 coins are as follows:

20. 1944 PCGS M7S64 Mexico 50 Peso = 1425.00 BV
    21. 1967 PCGS MS66 Peru 100 Soles = 1600.00 BV

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Congrats! You did VERY well all things considered! That's one heck of a collection!

4. Ambrola

Ambrola Junior Member

The 1955 MS-63 BN should be around 16-18 hundred. The others considerably less. Thats what I paid for mine, same grade?? (MS-63 BN!)

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

The last time one went that cheap on Heritage was 2004. PM me if you can get them certified for that price - PLEASE!

6. Ambrola

Ambrola Junior Member

I bought mine off cheat bay, in a pcgs slab?? Could have been someone needed money, I don't know. Just going by what I paid for one same grade???

7. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

O.K., thank you all.
    I'm now a bit more confused on the value of the 1955DD BN.

What about the word Graffiti used on VDB?

Kangyou- those items did come back Genuine, but the 1914D cent was not submitted as it would have came back 'body bagged' as counterfeit, I am almost certain.

I am wondering if my Father knew some of these coins were cleaned or not, and if so, was the price he paid fair for them. No way of telling, I guess. I don't think he knew he bought the counterfeit 1914D.
    Risky business, coins, eh? Especially back in the 50's.

I have more coins, but I am wondering if they should be graded, since this 21 coin lot seemed the best of them.
    What does anyone think about that?

8. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

If I had the funds to do so , I would have every single semi-key & key date coin graded, no ifs, ands or buts. Maybe even consider buying a 1 year membership with A.N.A. and that way you can submit your coins for grading directly to NGC. It would be interesting to see how your remaining coins would grade from a different respected grading company.
    http://www.money.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home

9. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Well, I have the one year subscription to PCGS now, I suppose I would stick with them.
    Obviously some of those St. Gauden's already graded were not key dates at all. there are more of them, but they don't seem to be in as good condition.
    I don't want to pay for slabbing for anything that has been cleaned, really. I have these two $5 Gold, 1899 & 1883 that a dealer at the show told me they (or one) had been cleaned. I think I need to go to another show, and have one of the grading company men 'eyeball' more coins first. That's how they caught that counterfeit.

I do not really have the funds to have any more coins graded. I sold some scrap gold and my wedding ring for this lot.
    There are some 1oz silver bars in the collection, would a person sell those to finance the grading?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not sure just what coins you have, but a ballpark figure for grading is $200 and up. That somewhat depends on how much you are having to pay to have them certified and what coin we are talking about. If you are talking more than a few moderately valued coins, I would strongly recommend either getting to know a reliable dealer or befriend a collector to look at them in hand.

I would not be the least surprised if he knew some of those were cleaned. It was fairly common practice back in the 50's.

Price of your 63 BN. Ambrola got lucky - apparently very lucky. Heritage has sold 25 of them (all 63 BN) since 2005. The price went from a low of $2127 to a high of $3593. See for yourself http://coins.ha.com/common/search_r...N=51+790+231+328+71+767+4294966898&Nty=1&x=16

11. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

So, if all those MS63BN are the same grade, what contributes to the price differences? Eye appeal?

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Same grade does not mean identical. One will have more luster, one a better strike, one fewer nicks, etc. And then there is the simple fact that it is an auction with different people looking and bidding. The best example I have seen were some glass icers I tried to sell on eBay. I had 6 and tried 2 for $10, but no takers. I tried all 6 for $10, but still no takers. About a month later, I tried all 6 again and they sold for $110. Now, if you can explain that, you will understand why there is a difference in your 55 D/D's.

13. chip

chip Novice collector

congratulations and I am glad you are pleased with your results, I had a vacation day today and had to sit in court and update the judge on the estates progress, closing on selling his house this friday, then I will be about done. except for the paper work.

14. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I've enjoyed reading this whole thread. rosethe, you've done very well for yourself concerning these coins. I know they mean a lot to you. Do whatever you have to do with them and keep us posted!

Bruce

15. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

It is really up to you what you would want to convert into cash. Some of your coins are worth more in melt value than they are numismatically & I think that is common with certain gold coins.
    I have seen folks sell their silver bars on eBay for a little premium over spot but when you consider the listing fees , final value fees , PayPal fees it can eat up your profits.
    I have been fortunate to find a brick and mortar place that pays me spot for gold (even in small quantities) & I have a local mobile silver man who pays me spot for silver (also even in small quantities). The reason I mention this is because ALL of the local coin dealers and ALL of the local bullion silver buyers only wanted to pay me 85-90% of spot for my gold or silver coins. There are certain gold & silver bars that are collectible beyond their melt value.

16. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

I agree with MrAlexanderB that I enjoyed reading this entire post...kinda like a kid growing up. I hope you dont have to sell and maybe pass them on to someone whom you are really close too. Either way, I hope they will go to someone w/ who will help preserve them and not try to destroy.

17. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Once again, *bumping* up my Father's collection for those who may not have been here at CT in 2009.

Some of the gold has been graded now. The collection is still in tact.

Hope you enjoy.

ldhair, mikenoodle and easj3699 like this.
  18. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

That was a great read! I'm glad things worked out so well for you.

rosethe likes this.
  19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, I remember you and I'm glad to hear you've gotten some high grades for some of your collection. The whole story about you and your Dad's collection is what coin collecting is all about. I hope you continue to keep us posted and I hope you can hold onto your collection as long as you can or at least until the price of gold goes up to prices never before seen. Good luck with your ongoing coin saga and never let your guard down about selling your coins or securing them. dblthumb2.gif

rosethe likes this.
  20. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

what a fun thread to read!

21. Rutvij

Rutvij New Member

Your father was quite the collector!

Draft saved Draft deleted