My Father's collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Nov 14, 2009.

1. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Hello all,

I was at the Summer FUN show today!

I took a few pieces in.

Among the photos I have posted in THIS thread, since Nov. There is one confirmed COUNTERFEIT!
    Can anyone spot it? (I know the photos are crap)

ICG man told me, and he said it was so good, that it would fool 95% of the dealers here! So, I took it to one dealer that I 'guessed' might be knowledgeable, and he was not fooled at all! He nailed it. He didn't want to 'break it to me', but I told him that he was the 'second opinion', and I had already been 'let down'.
    He complimented me on my 'approach' concerning these coins, that I wasn't some 'nice lady' who simply sits down and says: I have a bunch of coins and I have no idea what they are worth! What will you give me for them?
    I might have been a bit more educated than that, but my demeanor was 'nervous'. I was completely overwhelmed with all the booths, and who to approach. (I do remember the shows from my childhood)

I'm going back tomorrow, to submit my 8 free submissions, to PCGS. (with membership) They need to be rather valuable coins to get my 'moneys worth'. So I was thinking the best dates/conditions of the St. Gauden's???
    They do accept foreign, so what about the 50 Peso, or the Peru coin?
    Anyone see anything else in the photos I've posted that could be a candidate?

I wish I could tell my father about the counterfeit. I can see him slapping the arm of the couch and swearing! heheheheee....

Guess? Anyone?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I will go with my first guess. That 1922 looks too good to me, but you are right. Your pictures leave a lot to the imagination.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm thinkin' the 1909 s VDB.......

5. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

I would guess the the 1967 Peru Oro Del Sol in the plastic flip.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If I were you, I would submit as many as you could afford at the moment. Not only will you save money for shipping and insurance to PCGS (in California) at a later date, but it would probably give you the peace of mind that nothing is likely to happen in transit.

Chris

7. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Good point. I have some scrap to sell. I calculated it all out and pretty much know what I want to get for it. My only question is that a couple of pieces have stones in them, which I of course, weighed as gold. So I might stop by and see if I can sell those as jewelry first. Or, at least, they should knock the stone out, give it to me, and re-weigh it?

:hammer: The COUNTERFEIT is the 1914 D in the black case. :headbang:
    The ICG man said it was an added D cent. Best one he's ever seen.
    The dealer, saw that the "14" was 'feathered' or 'tappered' (or some such word- meaning worn?) and the D was 'crisp'.
    Nobody saw the 1922P or the foreign coins. I took the 2 1909S VDB's, the 3 1955D-DD, the 1914D counterfeit, and a nice 1931S (which isn't worth enough to grade)
    One of the VDB's is very interesting, it's very light in color, I would have suspected that to be the counterfeit.

There goes my theory that anything in a plastic case must be good. :crying::desk::hammer:

8. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

to add to that to what Chris said, make sure you insure it for an extremely high value (in case it's stolen/lost/damaged etc..). You can never be to careful when sending those out, and you wont know who to trust especially when it comes to money... In my eyes it's kinda like winning the lottery, you will have friends that you never had before lol.

9. cpm9ball

I've never been to Summer FUN (I was supposed to go yesterday, but I came down with a cold.) but at the January FUN, there were always a few jewelry dealers around.

I think you should try to submit as much of the gold as you can. Those are the ones you should really have certified before selling.

Chris

10. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Having 21 coins graded. (I sold my scrap gold and wedding ring :whistle:to fund the grading)

I had the ICG guy look them all over and give an opinion. He was very nice.
    He spotted one cleaned St. Gaudens, and the 2 Half Eagles have been lightly to harshly cleaned as well.
    The rest of the St. Gaudens and Double Eagles might grade from a 60-63 with possibly one 64.
    The 1955D Doubled Dies went in, the 2 1909S VDB's, 2 1922P, a Merc 1942 overdate-But I don't really know if it's a D or not.
    The Mex 50 Peso and the Peru 100 Soles went too.

They're being done by PCGS.

We will see.....

11. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

May the grading Goddess be with you !

12. cpm9ball

Amen!

Chris

13. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Sorry to say, that I won't have any idea if 'she' were gracious or not.
    I have no specific expectations for the individual coins. I guess I gotta take their word for it. :p

14. cpm9ball

I hope they all come back authentic as well!

Chris

15. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Yes, me too. The ICG man said that the 1944 50 Peso was a common Chinese counterfeit. But the coin weighs so much, I can't imagine it's not gold.

16. Ambrola

Ambrola Junior Member

I don't see what all the fuss is about?? The only coins I see that most of us don't have, and graded, is the Mexican Gold or what ever that was. Don't get me wrong, very nice inheritance. I know I had to buy all mine, but I don't see the elusive Morgan (1893s) or anything like that??

17. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

GRADES are in!

Hello,

Anyone interested in giving me any advice or comments on these grades would be welcome.

My first question is:
    Essentially, what does Genuine not gradable mean?
    And can anyone give the approximate value, especially for the 55 DD cents?

Here's a list of the coins I sent to PCGS.

The Gold $20's:

1. 1911 PCGS AU58
    2. 1906-S PCGS AU58
    3. 1903 PCGS Genuine
    4. 1895-S PCGS AU58
    5. 1898-S PCGS MS62
    6. 1901 PCGS MS63
    7. 1928 PCGS MS63
    8. 1924 PCGS MS64
    9. 1908 PCGS MS64 No Motto
    10. 1926 PCGS MS64
    11. 1924 PCGS MS65

The Mercury 10 cent:

12. 1942/1 PCGS XF40

The cents:

13. 1955 PCGS AU50 Doubled Die Obverse
    14. 1955 PCGS MS63BN Doubled Die Obverse
    15. 1955 PCGS Genuine Doubled Die Obverse (this is the upper left -reddish coin from the photos)

16. 1909-S VDB Genuine
    17. 1909-S VDB Genuine Graffiti

18. 1922 No D PCGS F12 Strong Reverse
    19. 1922 No D PCGS XF40 Strong Reverse

The Foreign coins:

20. 1944 PCGS MS64 Mexico 50 Peso
    21. 1967 PCGS MS66 Peru 100 Soles

Thank you so much!

Rosethe

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Means the coin is ungradeable because of excess corrosion or a harsh cleaning.....

You got some excellent results back Rose....:)

19. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

It depends on just what the number is. PCGS numbers their coins XXXX.AB/XXXXXXXX. The AB is either the grade (63, 50, 65, etc.) or what the problem with the coin is. Most likely your coins are 91 Questionable color or 92 cleaning

Here is a list of the PCGS numbers;

82 Filed Rims Yes Yes
    83 Peeling Lamination No No
    84 Holed and Plugged Yes Yes
    90 Not Genuine No No
    91 Questionable Color No Yes
    92 Cleaning No Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw No Yes
    94 Altered Surfaces No Yes
    95 Scratch / Rim Dent No Yes
    96 Refund - No Service No No
    97 Environmental Damage No Yes
    98 Damage No Yes
    99 PVC Residue No No

Approximate values
    1955 AU50 $1900
    1955 63RB $3500 - $4500
    1955 Gem $1500 - $4000. It depends a lot on what they found wrong and if it is AU or MS.

Those 1922's are nothing to sneeze at either. You did well. Congratulations!

20. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Of the 4 I received back as Genuine:

Gold $20 1903 ----92
    Cent 1955 DD ----92
    Cent 1909-S VDB ----92
    Cent 1909-S VDB -----98

I think I am sad about the VDB's.

The 1955 DD cent graded a MS63BN not a RB as you have it.
    And I don't know what "Gem" 1955 you refer to, the Genuine one?

What do the yes and no mean on your list, please?

Thanks,

Rosethe

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

92 = cleaned, 98 = damaged. yes/no the last is slabbed or not. See http://www.pcgs.com/grades.chtml (at the bottom of the page)

The RB to BN will drop that price to $2300 - $3000. Yes, "gem" was supposed to be "Gen" = genuine.

BTW, cleaned will generally be lower in price. Questionable color could do a lot better.

Draft saved Draft deleted