My Father's collection

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by rosethe, Nov 14, 2009.

1. CashDude

CashDude Member

Awesome coins! You REALLY need to get the more valuable ones (if not all of them) graded.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

My Father's Collection.

First, buy a book my recommendation a United States Coin Guide Red Book 2010. here is the link http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/ Then try to learn all the approximates value in US$ of Individual coin. Second, NEVER entrusted yet your old coins to anyone. Be careful on handling of your coin. IF you think your coin is a valuable ONE. Take a picture of it and also weight and record it., use digital pocket scale weight AMW-250 and cotton gloves and don't forget to buy magnifying glass for error coin and variety and look for mintmark of every coin. Just remember be Cautious or Alert IF you show your coin to any person they might Harm or try to make a Switch of your valuable coin to more less valuable..Third, slow down and become knowledgeable first what you have in your Father collection.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwYMJZyUv_8

If you submitted by mail to any slab coin grading company your coins make it sure the approximate value of your coins is not more than 25 K.
    Again,thanks for seeing your father collection. Best of Luck.

4. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Thanks! I'm putting all the advice and info in a folder.

5. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

From post #11 11/15/09: "....At the end of 2002, gold maxed out around $350.00 an ounce. Spot price at this moment stands at $1,118 an ounce....."

Fast forward to today, 11/25/09. $1,188 an ounce. It just keeps getting better for you!

6. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Yes and no. If I don't sell anything, then the price is somewhat irrelevant, like with stocks, the value is all just a theory until you sell. I can say my stocks are 'worth' $X now, but only if I sell.
    These coins are so much more than a stock certificate, which I have no attachment to. I'm sure you all know this already, and I'm sounding like some idiot. :goofer:

More importantly, does anyone out there think the price of gold would ever drop back to the levels of $200-400? What's the consensus for gold in 20 years? (I should be well educated by then :eek:)

Question: who can tell me what the Credits [Check] [Purchase] on the forum are?

Vess- did you see my father's story on the British Sovereign thread? Just curious. :hail:

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I agree with you that these are more than just the coins themselves, they are sentimental. I also agree that price is indeed irrelevant until you sell it. Could be X today and 3x tomorrow or 1/10x as well.

No you don't sound like an idiot. You have actually asked questions, listened to what people have had to say and have been thoughtful about what to do with the information.

As far as future price of gold, I still believe that this is an artificial high price and that it will indeed fall. The question is: How long until it falls, and how far does it fall?

8. JJK78

JJK78 Member

WOW! I saw those 55 doubled dies you posted and thought your father knew what to collect, but WOW!!

With the caliber of this collection I don't think you have to worry about many fake or cleaned coins in there as it seems like your father definitely knew what he was doing. Plus In all of the pics you have posted I don't see any evidence of cleaning etc.

With regards to having them graded I think that is a good idea not only for determining value for insurance/resale purposes, but also no ensure that the coins are preserved in the best possible condition in an airtight container. I wouldn't worry about having to many "body bagged" etc. but I also don't think you need to pack up the entire collection to be graded. Find someone who is knowledgeable or coins that you trust to go through with you and determine what is worth grading etc. as the process is not a cheap one.

Although all you would have to do is sell 1 or 2 of the "common" 1 oz gold coins and would probably pay for it all!

on a somewhat related side note - I love cats too and have about 20 ferrel cats I take care of at my work (car shop), don't suppose anyone knows of a place in the Atlanta area that would take some and find them homes, if so PM me! THanks!

THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

9. wesdavidson

wesdavidson Member

You know the joke about "sent photo of boat", lady, this beats a boat!
    If I wasn't all ready married to a collector......

You really were lucky to have a dad like that.

And with your concern for doing it right, he is lucky to have a daughter like you.

What happened to the swiss accounts?

10. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

I remember those as late as the 1990's. Then when I was settling his estate, I made sure I laid eyes on paperwork saying they were closed out. In this internet age, I wonder if there is a way to verify that. :confused:
    I think the proceeds from those he slowly spent financing his trips to Vegas, where he loved playing 'the world's slowest game. KENO.' :yawn:
    He never indulged himself in any other pleasures. Saved every dime. Some called him Diamond Jim.

11. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

No. I haven't read it yet but I will go there now.

BTW, some people could save themselves some time if they'd go back and read the first page of this thread. Many things are being repeated several times now.

12. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

What do you mean 20 years from now? Don't you know the world is ending in 2012 ?:D

13. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

You know, they've got me thinking with all these earthquakes...

I still haven't been able to get some of the key coins graded. But I now have my Red Book and the business card from the local coin club that meets twice a month. I'm recovering from a big surgery, but when I'm back to full strength, I think I'll check out the club. The man who's coin shop I walked into was very helpful and said he was some kind of 'official' and mentioned the meetings. I asked him if he knew of CT and he said: Agh, I don't have time to do that blogging nonsense....
    There will be a large coin show in Tampa this summer that I hope to attend, since I missed the FUN show in Jan.
    :hail:
    In the meantime I am still lurking on the threads, learning a thing or two, for sure.

14. kangayou

kangayou Junior Member

You know I was joking about that 2012 thing I hope. Remember that song ... party over oops out of time ... well Y2K came and went and no melt down. So heal well & completely & have fun.

I may have missed it, but I did not see any recommendations to you about subscribing to that thing called "the Grey Sheet". It might be helpful if you ever have to deal with dealers. Sort of level the playing field.

15. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

Grey Sheet? Never heard of it....tell me more.

2012 is a joke?:bigeyes:

16. mikenoodle

Grey Sheet is officially named

Coin Dealer Newsletter or CDN

search those terms and you will find it on the internet

17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

2012, Who dat!!

18. mikenoodle

speaking of 2012, has the Mayan Bank started issuing the new Mayan Calendars yet?

19. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

That collection is definitely one of a kind, just WOW.

I was actually wondering what the origin of the collection was? I know it was your father's and you inherited it, but I'm very curious as to how he came about to have this collection? Did he leave any notes, letters, anything at all explaining maybe when he started or why or where? Have you ever seen him collecting or organizing his coins when you were young, or did he keep it secret and locked up all along?

I'm asking because I was given a valuable coin by my grandfather, and I turned that 1 coin into a collection of hundreds of pieces, and I plan on leaving behind as much written information with the collection for future generations so they would know where it came from and how it came together.

20. rosethe

rosethe Junior Member

WOW, Rhino. One coin into hundreds of pieces. That is quite a legacy!:kewl:

I am pretty sure that he was the originator of the collection, as no older relative knew anything about coins.
    As far as I know, there are no 'notes' or letters concerning his coins.
    I know he did what I call 'gentleman dealings' by mail in the 50's and 60's.
    The collectors would communicate by mail (using unusually polite terms) and make a transaction for a coin. I think this may have been done on the 'honor system' :bigeyes: Wat dat?
    I believe other coins were bought at coin shows and shops (I remember going to them in the early 60's- I was more concerned whether or not I would get my Orange Julius drink than see the coins)
    The coins were never a secret from me, although he taught me not to 'blab' about them. We were far from wealthy, living in 880 sq ft, and just getting by on a welder's income.
    We searched rolls for silver at night (I got to have Jiffy Pop if I completed mine) (sorry if I repeat myself in this thread)
    He was a pioneer user of metal detectors. I think he sold the scrap silver and jewelry and bought gold coins with it.

I still have some bags of lesser value to look through. The Whitman books, etc. Maybe there is a note or legend in there, but I doubt it. Jim wasn't the kind of man that did a lot of writing.

Thanks for asking about his collection.
    :hail:

What is the valuable piece that spawned your collection? How did you know in what direction to take it?

21. Rhino89

Rhino89 "Roubles"

My family is Russian, so the coin that he gave me was a 1913 1 Rouble coin from Imperial Russia. It was a coin that he was given by his grandfather, so it's been in the family for a while. My grandpa used to have a collection of Russian coins, but he had to sell it off to get money to immigrate elsewhere once the Soviet Union collapsed, but this coin was the only 1 he kept. It was a commemorative silver coin issued for the 300th anniversary of rule by the Imperial family. Ironically, it had the first Czar of Russia and the soon-to-be-last Czar on it as well. Looks like this:[​IMG]

It is far from the value category that your coins are in, since these types are only about $150-$200, but it led to me kind of "restoring" the collection he used to have and adding a lot more that he had no access to. His 1 coin turned into me getting all the other Imperial Russian coin denominations, getting almost all the Russian banknotes issued from 1898 to 1991, and all the Soviet coins he used to have but had to sell.

That's why on these forums I'm always a big supporter of people keeping collections they have inherited. And I'm glad you plan on keeping as many pieces as you are financially able to (no one should be starving but holding on to gold coins lol). Keep the forum updated on what's going on with the coins, it's a one of a kind collection :hail:

Draft saved Draft deleted