My eyes popped when i seen this please info!!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tracey L Aldrich, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Tracey L Aldrich

Tracey L Aldrich Active Member

My mother pulled out my gmas coins from the safe ive never ever seen one like this!!!!!! Any info. This is the obverse and the REVERSE SO ITS A REVERSE REVERSE?????? 20220703_190934-0.jpg 20220703_190934-0.jpg 20220703_190926-0.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

masterswimmer and AdamL like this.
  4. Tracey L Aldrich

How can u tell its not a real quuarter?

5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

That can't happen in the minting process. That would mean that the coin press had two reverse dies in it and to my knowledge that has not ever happened. If it has I'm sure a more experienced collector than me will point it out.

paddyman98, Bob Evancho and AdamL like this.
  6. Tracey L Aldrich

I looked it up theres only 3 known n found on coinworld.com i found the info

7. Tracey L Aldrich

Screenshot_20220703-195203.png

Attached Files:

8. Tracey L Aldrich

9. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Cool. I had never heard of one until now
    Send it in for Authentication if you think it's real. Does a magnet stick to it?

Tracey L Aldrich likes this.
  10. Hommer

11. Tracey L Aldrich

No it does not n it weighs5.6 gs

Attached Files:

12. Hommer

The person of who that story is about is a member here @Fred Weinberg

Kentucky, Tracey L Aldrich and AdamL like this.
  13. Tracey L Aldrich

Well maybe he would know a little more abbout. My coin i am interested in finding more out about it its been sitting in my moms safe a long time my grandma died in 1982 i believe it was hers or couldbeen my dads hes gone too but none the less my mom gave it to me tonight

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You can tell it's inserted, look at the seam. They're keepers, though. We've a two-headed nickel and quite a few halves like that. Tell you what, I'll flip you for it, I call tails.

paddyman98, JPD3 and Tracey L Aldrich like this.
  15. Tracey L Aldrich

So does it mean its a fake coin?

16. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

odds are in the favor of it being a fake or still possibly a magicians coin, but it is certainly a cool coin to have regardless :D Only other option is to put it in the hands of a expert and see what he/she has to say :D

17. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's not "fake", exactly, since it's made from two real coins. Or rather the reverse halves of them mashed together.

It is a real quarter. Two of them.

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

If you look closely, you can see where the obverse was machined out and another reverse was set in the cove. You can see two inside rims on the lower left of the second picture.

mrweaseluv likes this.
  19. Kurisu

Kurisu Well-Known Member

It's 100% a magician's coin (sometimes called Opium coins too).
    This one is almost certainly a twist apart.
    There are other types that squeeze apart when you find the right spot near the edge and squeeze both sides together and the opposite side pops open.
    See if you can get 2 rubber balls, squeeze the coin between them and twist. Sometimes these are made with a reverse thread, so it might be righty loosey :D

Magicians coins are made from real coins...so yup, you have a fake coin made from real coins o_O

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It is a magicians coin. You can easily see the seam around the inner rim in your second picture where the coin was machined down then joined.

Google magicians coin and you can buy a matching set of heads for you tails

It is absolutely NOT an error.

Edit too add:
    @Hommer is correct. The obverse and reverse dies have different hardware so they can't be installed in the wrong position. At Philly in the early 2000s, the mint busted a ring making errors and smuggling them out through the oil pan of a fork truck. San Fran also had the same problem in the early-mid 70s with unbelievable errors made by employees during off hours.

Your coin has a very visible seam, so its obvious your coin couldn't be one of the Philly shenanigans. If you really think you have something, maybe your grandmother was working with the crooks :troll:? The coin you referenced never entered circulation so the only way somebody would have it is either through the smugglers or buy it from an auction.

Remember, there is an incredible amount of history in numismatics. Sometimes the story we want to believe gets blown up by facts and logic

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    JPD3, Mountain Man and expat like this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The eternal optimist. :)
    Two halves, 12.5 cents each. Add them together, still 25 cents. :D

Tall Paul likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted