Featured My Experiment using MS70 Coin Brightener.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bigjpst, Sep 12, 2019.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Either you didn't understand what I was saying, or you misunderstood what I was saying - so let me try to say it a different way. Yes, I most definitely do care that it does happen. I mean nobody wants their coins artificially toned, least of all me.

The point I'm trying to get across is that if it's something on the coin reacting with the MS70 and causing the color change, or if it's the MS70 reacting with the metal itself and causing the color change - both things, both different causes, would be bad thing. So it doesn't matter which one it is, in other words, who cares which one it is ? The only thing that does matter is that a bad thing is happening.

And just because using MS70 on copper doesn't cause the color change every single time - that doesn't matter either. The thing that matters is that it happens sometimes. Put another way, using MS70 on copper is like playing Russian Roulette. Yeah, sometimes you can pull that trigger and nothing happens - but sometimes something does happen - it goes off ! So if you don't want to play Russian Roulette with your coins, then don't use MS70 on copper - because if ya do that's what you'll be doing.

Now some of your other comments about coin dip and MS70 altering the surface of coins - yes, that does happen, it does alter the surface. And you seem to think that's a bad thing. But I find that to be perfectly acceptable, but then so does just about the entire numismatic community. And the entire numismatic community has found dipping coins to be perfectly acceptable for over 200 years. As a matter of fact, the numismatic community (as a whole) sees dipping coins as being a very good thing. Why ? Because it literally saves coins from certain destruction caused by excessive toning (corrosion). And, it removes unsightly toning and turns an ugly coin back into a pretty coin. How can either one of those things ever be said to be a bad thing ?

What's more, even the TPGs agree with what I'm saying. The thousands, maybe millions by now, of coins that have been sent in to the various TPGs for "conservation" - what do you think they're doing to those coins ? In most cases all they are doing is dipping the coins. In others, they dilute the dip to various strengths. In other cases, they'll do what I've suggested for many, many years, and use distilled water, acetone or xylene or maybe a few other chemical concoctions. But in every case they are literally cleaning the coins - but cleaning them properly.

As for MS70 itself, it is a very, very mild coin dip. If you have a toned coin, as you've seen in your own test, it doesn't remove the toning - but it does often change the color of the toning. But, let's say you have a hazy Proof coin. Nobody likes haze on their Proof coins, just about everybody finds it very unsightly. But if you use MS70 on a Proof coin (clad, nickel, silver, or gold) all that unsightly haze just simply disappears - poof it's gone ! Kinda hard to say that's not a good thing too.

Is that altering the surface of the coin ? Of course it is, but it's altering the surface of the coin in a good way, not a bad way. And it is causing no harm to the coin. In point of fact it's doing a good thing because it is helping to prevent a potentially bad thing from happening to that coin - corrosion .Many, a great many, of the highest graded coins that exist - they've had MS70 used on them. And what's more than that, over 80% of all older coins that exist, including those graded the highest, have had coin dip used on them.

micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

Basically the same things that are used to dip any coin - just in different mixtures.

You're quite correct, that is exactly what happens if you use regular coin dip. But if you dilute it correctly, mix it with other things correctly - it simply removes the toning and the original red color is restored.

I also believe that you are correct about MS70, that it is the MS70 itself that is reacting with the copper and causing the color changes. But it only does that with copper, but even then not always.

4. Terrifrompa

Terrifrompa Member

Thank you for the info

5. bigjpst

bigjpst Well-Known Member

This about sums up why I did the experiment.
    I understood perfectly, but I posted the thread for discussion on why we should do or not do things, what we should be aware of as collectors and possibly to gain some insight into what is happening. Too many times when people ask questions about these types of things the answer is "Because I said so". But coin doctors are out there messing with our coins and successfully getting them into TPG holders. Maybe not every time, but they are there.

I have nothing against properly dipping coins that need conservation. I was only using your statements to further the discussion.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

No problem, based on your comments I just wanted to clarify things.

7. ptHoneyBadger

ptHoneyBadger Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this seemed like the best thread on which to ask my question. I'm a retired surgeon and have taken up coin collecting as a hobby to occupy my mind and hands. I am doing this mostly for fun and because I enjoy looking at pretty coins.
    I have a strong background in organic and inorganic chemistry, and I find the topic of coin cleaning/conservation/doctoring to be quite fascinating. I have learned a lot from reading some of these old threads. I find all of the arguments quite entertaining as well.
    I am a doctor, but have no interest in becoming a "coin doctor". I have a few Indian Head Cents that have a bluish/purple color, and I suspect were cleaned with MS70. Otherwise, they are attractive coins with uncirculated details but no substantial value. I don't want to turn them "red" but would prefer to restore their natural brown tone if possible. Is there a way to do this? Would it be best to just leaving them laying out around the house for awhile?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

HI ptHoneyBadger.

I don't clean up coins and avoid messing with copper coins entirely as it's really reactive and can off color easily.

That said, the coins and collection are yours and I feel you can do whatever you want to with them and don't get judgmental over trying to clean up older coins.

I would say no matter what you try pick up a few dozen pre-81 copper cents on the cheap to test and mess with instead of messing with the coins you are collecting until you feel confident what the results should be.

I am sure there are people on here that can point you to some methods to restore them though. I just would do it on the Indian heads until you are sure what should happen to them. Nothing worse than a clean pink penny. Lol

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Welcome aboard -- I look forward to your comments in our chemistry-related threads!

10. ptHoneyBadger

ptHoneyBadger Member

@John Burgess
    Thanks for your recommendations. I've got a bunch of old wheat pennies to play with for fun. I've also got some MS70 that I have used to remove haze from uncirculated silver coins. I will probably try to turn them blue/purple with the MS70, then try people's suggestions for getting rid of what I call the "purple sheen".

11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I like your avatar and also that you are not a "coin doctor" with a hoard of coins found in a 200 year old safe.

Chuck_A likes this.
  12. GDJMSP

Well, maybe MS70 was used on them. But here's the thing, copper coins can and do tone, and tone completely naturally, to various shades of blue and or purple. And a whole lot folks find them highly desirable !

My point here of course is that short of using what they politely call a "coin sniffer" there is no way to tell one from the other.

Yes, but it's difficult at best and a multi-step process.

That may work, but the "while" is almost certainly going to be a looooooong while. And not one I would recommend because the coins would also be very likely to become contaminated with things you'd much rather not have them be contaminated with.

My question to you would be, why bother when the toning may well be perfectly natural to begin with ?

13. -jeffB

Well, as long as the thread's alive now...

I'm kinda baffled that anyone thinks MS70 would be "uncovering natural purple toning that was already there under the brown" rather than just "turning the coins purple". I'd suggest two experiments with, oh, say, cheap Lincolns:

1) Take a few brown coins, and soak half of each one in MS70. See which ones turn purple. Now, take those, apply any other treatment you like to the untreated half, and see if it "uncovers" that purple color.

2) Take a few bright red coins, and soak half of each one in MS70. See if any turn purple. Nothing "under" anything "to be revealed" there. For extra credit, try the same with those other treatments from experiment (1).

14. GDJMSP

Ahhhh - my favorite experiment, dipping half the coin :) More can and will be learned by doing this than just about anything else. In point of fact it tends to combine several experiments into 1 ;)

15. wxcoin

I heard that if you drink some MS70 you'll turn purple. Just another experiment but not recommended.

16. -jeffB

Same thing can happen if you try to swallow a Morgan, right?

GenX Enthusiast likes this.
  17. wxcoin

Captain Morgan?

18. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Shouldn't @-jeffB get a like for his post? ;)

Stevearino and wxcoin like this.
  19. Andrew McMenamin

Andrew McMenamin Nerva You Mind

I get what your saying and agree. Perhaps the MS70 is acting to restore natural colors covered by reaction with another substance accumulated over time. I agree that scientifically, there is value in your experiment.

20. -jeffB

I'd settle for your comment getting "Best Answer". :rolleyes:

21. wxcoin

I'll give "Best Answer" for a price!

Draft saved Draft deleted