Featured My experience with one of the Top 4 TPG's

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Beefer518, Mar 18, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It came from a Catholic Church RCIA course. I’ll see if I can find more in my stuff.

Here’s one site that gets into the qualitative nature and the special non-numerical uses of numbers in the Bible. It’s cool stuff:
    http://www.biblestudy.org/bibleref/meaning-of-numbers-in-bible/

The link brings up a directory. Click on each page that interests you.

I feel like MS61 should have a page for coin grading. Maybe 58, too. To me, high end AU and lower MS grades should cross. We need AU61 and MS58.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    -jeffB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

@baseball21 posted this as a quote from me:

It is because they knew that people who don't know anything would still trust the slab and that what we have today would be the result ! People paying money, way more money than the coin is actually worth, for problem coins simply because they are encased in a piece of plastic.

Then he replied: "baseball21, posted: "Well if we are going to talk about the hypothetical clueless collector then we should also mention that if it wasn't in plastic they would likely pay even more for it as it got passed off on them as a righteous coin."

:stop: AFAIK, I never wrote that :vomit:!

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I noticed when it was to late it was what Doug said and had picked it up from your unique quoting style :p

-jeffB likes this.
  5. V. Kurt Bellman

On the topic, I try to go by the theory that more information is always better than less. I have no objection to slabbing problem coins as long as no one is deceived that the problem coins are something else, something LESS.

6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

I agree.

I wonder how many newbies are told that 'Details' means the coin has 'good details' by unscrupulous sellers.

7. Insider

That's why the "problem" is added to the label. It is actually "Technical Grading!" Grade the condition of preservation and add modifiers: Gem Uncirculated, flat strike. Gem Uncirculated, Rim File. XF-40, holed. :facepalm::D

Often you'll see a problem coin labeled: Cleaned, Rim File or something similar. Usually only one of the problems is mentioned as once a comment is made it kills the coin. Adding all the problems only digs its grave.

8. V. Kurt Bellman

Heck, when NGC went with their "tall" label, they could have used it to write a stinking book. :troll:

9. baseball21

You could write a whole series on the 5 oz slabs

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Not so. You see, the only reason they buy the coins to begin with, any coins, is because they ARE in the plastic ! They simply will not buy raw coins the majority of the time.

And the clueless collector is not hypothetical, they are quite real and great in number ! The vast majority of the coin market is comprised of plastic buyers - plastic buyers ARE clueless collectors. Granted, there are a great many degrees as to just how clueless they are. Some of them actually think they know what they are doing, but they don't. As the old saying goes they know just to hurt themselves by being involved in things in which they should not be involved ! There are others who actually do know a bit, but yet are still swayed purely by the plastic.

You can basically split the entire coin market into 2 groups - the 90% who do not know coins and the 10% who do know coins. The 10% doesn't care what it says on the slab, they go by what they know. The 90% goes by what the slab says, even when they don't even know what the slab is saying.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Man, I don't interact very much at all with these "they" out there, but I do believe they're there. People buying modern commems in them prove that.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

All of those who are buying coins with obvious wear on them, but in MS slabs - prove it much more !

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Why do you think this is...do you think it's kind of a fad thing (like it's "cool" to buy slabbed coins) or do you think they are just lazy. Is a "clueless collector" a nice way of saying a "lazy collector?"

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Just asking - have you ever seen a coin that you once might have thought had wear, but later you learned it was a weak strike?

Aotearoa and asheland like this.
  15. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

16. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I'd rather be called lazy than clueless.

17. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I don't know...I think both are pretty bad. But...one does tend to lead to another. If people are too lazy to learn something, they will be clueless.

18. CoinCorgi

Too lazy to apply my knowledge? Apathy actually.

19. CoinCorgi

I just realized...I don't have a point.

20. baseball21

So? In the age of internet transactions sticking to slabbed coins minimizes risk and allows them to sell them easier if the time comes. Far more shady things happen in the raw coin market and it seems rather intelligent to me for people to minimize their risk as they learn. Learning or having an understanding their own or the purchasing venues limitations doesn't make someone clueless or a plastic buyer.

There's clueless people in everything, my point was their existence is greatly overblown on forum discussions. Often times these supposed clueless collectors is really just saying "I don't agree with how/what they collect or understand their markets so they must not be as smart as me". Modern collectors come to mind as a great example of how it's really just name calling and demeaning to other collectors trying to brow beat them into what someone else wants.

No it's not. It's buyers who buy coins already graded. Unless you're talking about the sample slab market or the generation slab collectors the overwhelming majority are collectors buying graded coins that they like. No one is going "I hate this coin but it says its xyz so I'll take it"

That's happened to everyone if they bothered to further their learning.

JPeace$ likes this.
  21. Insider

AND...Let's not forget to include the 75% of the clueless coin dealers who are part of the 90% clueless collector group. Most of them could not survive w/o slabs. Today, my blind, old Aunt Ruby can sell TPGS slabs and claim to be a coin dealer.

Oldhoopster, asheland and Beefer518 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted