My experience on Ancient coins Also a new purchase to show.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by icerain, Jan 31, 2013.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Since the beginning of this year I have made a few pickups, rather quickly I may add. When I'm inexperienced in a field I tend to go the slabbed route to ensure what I'm getting is graded correctly and genuine. A quick read on the forums changed my mind in that area and a few books enlightened me in other fields.

One inspiration I have is discovering new things and analyzing something I don't know about. Ancient coins are a bit different for me and possibly others as well. You can't tell the year, region and mint location just by looking at it. At least not for me, to me its like a mystery waiting for me to find out what it really is.

The other inspiration for my ancient coin collection is my fascination of mythology which I've had since I was young. Sometimes I seek out coins with a god, goddess or specific symbols on them. I also like owning coins from certain cities or locations.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that looking more and more at ancients have made me more interested in history and has given me the chance to hold something that may have been used by someone alive during that time period.

Thanks for reading the long post, and here is one of my newest ancient pickups.

Ptolemaic.jpg

Greek, Ptolemaic Kingdom – Ptolemy VI, Philometer I (Egypt, Alexandria mint)
    170 - 163 B.C
    AE 29.5 / 24.4 grams, Drachm
    O: Diademed and horned head of Zeus-Ammon right
    R: ΠΤΟΛΣΜΑΙΟΥ ΒΑΣΙΛΣΩΣ Two eagles standing left side-by-side on thunderbolt, cornucopia facing left
    Reference : Svoronos 1424, SNG Cop 305-307

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Ancients cover quite a bit of history, so there always something new to learn :)

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This sounds familiar. Many of us have the same regard for these coins and their historical significance. The image you posted is rather dark and is hard to tell much from. But from what I can see, it's looks to be in good condition. I do not own any Ptolemaic coins, but one day.......

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Looks so much like Alexander the Great as Hercules. I always likes the Alexandria Eagle. ;)

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice coin, I dont own that type either.

But I was the same way. Always had a interest in rome and greece but only learned what I was taught in school Since getting into ancients I have learned ALOT and continue to learn something new all the time. It helps to have something from the time period to hold & wonder vs just reading a book or looking at pictures.

7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i really like those big ptolemy's...but don't have one either.:( .....yet :rolleyes:

8. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

It just seems that the more I learn about these coins the more I'm intrigued to get more. Its like a history lesson every time I research them.

9. Windchild

Windchild Punic YN, Shahanshah

I've noticed many are fascinated by classical civilizations, as they learn of them before they learn about them in school (Grade 11 at the earliest here :( )

For example, I've always had a fascination with classical Mythology, ever since I was young.
    I mean, I collect Ancient coins and study Carthage and Roma, especially the Imperiatorial period, Julius Caesar and the Roman Army.

This is before I am able, based on age, to take any class that studies the Ancient World.

I love the Egyptian coin... Reminds me to pick one up!

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I like Ptolemy coins as well but do not have one yet.

Nice coin and it has decent facial features that a lot of other low grades don't have that I've seen.

Draft saved Draft deleted