My Entire Ancient Coin Collection

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Deacon Ray, Dec 9, 2018.

1. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Beautiful collection @Deacon Ray and I'm glad that collecting has been a spiritual solace for you. For me, there is something amazing about handling tiny bits of metal that have been handled by folks living so long ago.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Bing, Maybe Deacon Ray's choice of words could have been better but I agree with him in respect to a spiritual connection with some ancient coins. Ancient coin manufacturing in many cases transcended the level of a craft to an art form. Many of the ancient celators appear to be divinely inspired with their creations. Great artists like Eukleidas, Euainetos, Kimon, Eumenes, & the "Aetna Master" created artistic masterpieces that were more than mere money. A craftsman works with his hands & an artist works with his hands & his heart. A heartfelt image is divinely inspired & stands out by comparison to a well crafted object.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Again, this I find hard to comprehend, and I don't mean to take anything away from those that believe it's so. However, I believe the God I worship (or any divine being for that matter) would give any thought to the manufacture of coins no matter how "inspired" they may look.

Many of the coins on display here at CT are magnificent and thus I will leave it up to each individual to decide their inspiration. And I do agree many can be considered an art form.

7Calbrey and Deacon Ray like this.
  5. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thanks to all of my fellow ancient coin collectors for your constructive and encouraging words! We are all driven by a fascination with history intertwined with an appreciation of numismatic art. @John Anthony and @Bing —(you guys are ancient coin collecting superstars), I think John’s comment that our desire to collect ancient coins is driven by a need to connect with a higher spiritual and intellectual reality (I could be wrong in my interpretation) is true. I think @Bing 's use of the word “joy” is key. I think joy comes from a connection with a higher spiritual reality.

ominus1 likes this.
  6. Deacon Ray

Thanks, @Al Kowsky ! It was actually @John Anthony who made the observation about a “higher spiritual and intellectual reality” but I agree and I think we are all really on the same page. I think words are getting in our way ;)

ominus1 likes this.
  7. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I admire you Ray - you are a man of great faith and conviction.

ominus1 and Deacon Ray like this.
  8. Deacon Ray

I totally agree! My fascination with ancient coins from a Biblical perspective comes from imagining who may have handled them and not in the belief that they possess any supernatural properties. The same goes for non-Biblical coins. I get excited thinking about my Roman coins and who may have used them in their everyday transactions.

Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Bless you, my friend. I’m enjoying the journey.

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Agree

Deacon Ray likes this.
  11. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I can easily understand @John Anthony and @Bing in this topic. Faith and spirituality (in my humble opinion) can come in any form. Having a background in anthropology (an incomplete one to be honest and transparent) I have learned that religion (and I loosely group faith, spirituality and all its synonyms here) comes to those in ways in which they can relate or understand. So, if one can find what they are looking for in coin collecting, I say more power to them!

Cucumbor and Deacon Ray like this.
  12. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

Very nice, I like how you make posters!

ominus1 and Deacon Ray like this.
  13. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Ray could definitely make a mint in graphic design. I am sure many big auction houses and dealers would hire him!

14. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

That's simply beautiful @Deacon Ray.
    And I'm glad coin collecting contributed to help you to finding peace of soul and to defeating your demons !

:) Q

Deacon Ray likes this.
  15. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

This...is...fabulous!:woot::woot: Wonderful collection, Deacon Ray!

You are someone I really look up to and I admire the strength of your faith and your enthusiasm for these small coins that are a direct link to the most important time in history for our faith.

Talk about a run on sentence. You can tell I did very well in my English class.o_O

Erin

16. Deacon Ray

Thank you for the kind words, Erin! Our life’s journey often takes us through some dark and scary places but there are always kind folks illuminating our path along the way.

17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Bless you DR. You told the truth and witnessed for the Spirit. That Holy Strength loves and may heal everybody on Earth. That invisible light of love could be embedded in coins, flowers, our minds or any place. Keep on walking and loving for ever.

Deacon Ray likes this.
  18. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Your collection is inspiring in more ways than one @Deacon Ray . Also I love the graphics as always. You are one of the people who makes this a great place to hang out and share coins. Cudos, my friend.

My favorite Judean coin.
    IMG_4078.JPG
    Hasmonean Dynasty of Judea
    John Hyrcanus I, 134-104 BC
    AE Prutah, Jerusalem mint, struck ca. 129-122 BC
    Wt.: 1.82 g
    Dia.: 15 mm
    Obv.: Paleo-Hebrew inscription in wreath; Greek letter alpha above
    Rev.: Double cornucopia with a pomegranate between horns
    Ref.: Hendin 1132

Write up:
    The First Jewish Coin and its Modern
    Descendant

These coins were given to me by my parents as widows mites last Christmas which makes them very special to me. They are not actually what is considered the widows mite type but are still much loved little chunks of metal.
    IMG_7209.JPG
    IMG_7208.JPG

chrsmat71, Deacon Ray, Jwt708 and 4 others like this.
  19. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

20. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

What a lovable collection, dear friend Deacon!
    I wish I had one-third of the Judean coins that you have. I have been looking for one of Bar Kochba's for some time, but either the prices are not inviting or the grade is not worth the effort.
    I don't know exactly if my collection has a real spiritual impact on my life. But no doubts, it brings me an absurd well-being, something that undoubtedly works like an antidepressant medication. I think it's because of it that until today I never needed pills to handle the day to day.
    Congratulations!

Deacon Ray likes this.
  21. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

You have an amazing collection, very beautifully displayed Deacon Ray:happy: Thanks for showing it to us!
    Coins are awesome for the human spirit, collecting gives a sense of purpose, aspiring goals, much happiness.
    John

Deacon Ray likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted