My dumb question!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mike185, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

So with out googling or any kind of internet searches. Can you guys tell me how many reeds are on a current quarter and how many are on a current dime.

An employee bet me (I think he got the best of me by googling). I owe him a 30 pack.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I wonder how many folks are at their coin desks right now counting reeds? At least I have an excuse. My eyes aren't good enough!

Paddy54 and Islander80-83 like this.
  4. Mike185

I know right!! That’s exactly what I did and came up with three different numbers!!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It depends on the dates.

6. Mike185

Ok wait for a min..........

7. Mike185

Quarters 1932 to present and dimes 65 to present. (I believe that’s right)

8. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I actually thought about it, I laughed about it, then I forgot about it!

Not with my eyes! ;)

Randy Abercrombie and Mike185 like this.
  9. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

Quarter: 0 Dime: Depends on how you define a reed.

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I know how many are on a Cent and Nickel. :woot:

That's a great question. I can recall seeing the numbers in the past, but for the life of me can't remember them. I do know that they are not in the Redbook (my go to reference for basic info for almost 50 years).

Some additional useless info, I believe there are some series that have varieties based on differences in the reeding (1921 Morgans are one). And an easy way to tell the difference between 1968 Canadian dimes minted in Ottawa from the ones that the US Mint was contacted to make is by the number and shape of the reeding.

BTW: a 30 pack of Keystone Light is $12.89 at the Walmarts in my area of NY State, so hopefully he didn't specify a better beer. :yack:

Mike185 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. Mike185

Ok. Here it is. As I went home a sat down and tried to count. My numbers that I came up with was
    Quarter-92-105-107

dime - I was too aggravated to try!!

Quarter has 119 reeds
    Dime has 118 reeds

And just to be a butt I got the cheapest 30 pack I could find. 13.27. Hehe... I know he will drink every one of them!

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

13. Mike185

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  14. Skippy04

Skippy04 New Member

Sorry im posting in this thread, it says ive got insufficient posting priveleges. I have a large 1802 cent that is missing the word "cent" on the back. Is this an error?

I removed your url as it exposes your name. Save your photo on your computer and upload it by clicking the button below in your text box to attach a file.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2019
  15. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Mike185 likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

17. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

119 on the Quarter? Good to know.

I know that the U.S. Quarter is the same diameter as the South Korean 100-Won coin, which SUPPOSEDLY has 110 crenellations (or "reeds" for you hipsters) on its edge. When compared side-by-side the "reeds" on these two coinsline up pretty nicely.

I don't know about these statistics. Unless we actually count the "reeds," we probably won't really know. Like how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie-roll tootsie pop...

Maxfli and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No pictures. It doesn't exist. Start your own thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted