My Dansco 7070 US Type Set (Album Images)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Nov 23, 2018.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Enjoying a relaxing day off and figured I'd share an update on this one as it has changed a ton.

I have most of these imaged individually, so if anyone wants to see better pics of any particular coin, let me know. :)

IMG_6216.JPG IMG_6220.JPG
    IMG_6219.JPG IMG_6221.JPG IMG_6223.JPG IMG_6226.JPG IMG_6224.JPG IMG_6228.JPG
    IMG_6229.JPG IMG_6233.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CircCam

CircCam Victory

4. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

A beautiful collection indeed! Are you going to eventually get the Liberty Seated and Trade Dollars, or are you opting out of those?

lordmarcovan and CircCam like this.
  5. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Thank you!

I’d love to have the set be truly complete, but to get those three in problem-free examples is a substantial chunk of change even in low-grades.

I’ve actually been considering moving to an “eclectic box” type of collection and it would be cool to sell this album to someone with the means to complete it with those but we’ll see. With a set like this there’s so many hours of hunting put into it beyond the value of the coins but I’ve had a great time and learned a ton in the process!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You know me. I want to see images of the 1857 cent.

7. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Pulled this from my Indian Whitman album... it’s not my highest grade FE but I like the reverse contrast in the album next to that CircCam ‘59. 6A13675D-1A55-4836-A1D7-90AA4C859385.jpeg

8. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

Nice set, I really like the seated dimes and half dimes, they seem pretty well matched. What are you targeting for the last commem half? The only one I have so far is the 1893 Columbian Expo, seems to be the easiest one to find.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Nice album. You did a great job of using well patched coins. Cool look.

10. Bill H.

Bill H. Active Member

Very nice, I enjoyed looking at them. You made some interesting choices (in cases where you had choices). Love the 3cs, 20 cent and early large cents and half cents.

Might I suggest an Oregon Trail for your final Commem slot, I find it to be the most beautiful American coin. Thanks again.

CircCam, ddddd and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  11. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Thanks!

I actually had a Columbian in there but it was a step above the other three and stood out a bit too much in the row of 4... submitted it and it came back at 64.

For the last one I’ve been on the lookout for a Grant commemorative for awhile. I just can’t get over the beauty of the reverse on that one. The Oregon is actually my second choice but I’ll keep holding out for awhile.

Thanks- it’s certainly an ongoing process. There are some in there that are obvious place-holders like the ‘32 Washington quarter- l specifically want an early 1930’s quarter with the CircCam look and I have yet to find one.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  12. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

I mentioned in my comment that I’m working on a 7070 as well. I recently inherited a big group of coins from my grandfather, from that group I was able to fill in all the large cents and most of the 20th century pieces. Currently I’m working on the seated liberty pieces, I have one half-dime, one dime, and one quarter so far. What was your process when picking out your pieces? I’ve picked up the Bowers seated liberty book and I’m considering joining the Liberty Seated Collector’s club, seems like it would be interesting to do a deep dive on these while I’m working on this part of the set.

13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

The Seated quarters are actually my favorite US type. :)

I avoided cracking slabs as much as I could for this, so the challenge was locating raw, problem-free crusty specimens, ideally with contrast between the fields and devices. I think you have a great idea in buying the literature and joining a club. The seated stuff is full of fun varieties, so if you arm yourself with knowledge during your search you may find some really interesting coins!

The only particularly interesting seated variety I cherry picked was this 1860/1860 RPM:
    E229676E-1120-4DE1-B060-45510C707977.png EB0053C1-2679-4DB9-B295-CB3039FFF953.jpeg

My process was/is hunting for Seated coins with this look:
    79647B01-599C-4577-96E2-E316131171D3.jpeg 39CB4338-2DB8-4A9D-BEDC-1AEFBEBD0D87.png
    4E7842BC-5277-4D8D-8BF1-082B66E96109.png

There were times when I did opt out of CircCam look though- in the following case I loved the contrast look of the 1877, but the 1875 was superior coin in my opinion. (That decision was TOUGH but I had already cracked the ‘75 and would have had to crack the ‘77 as well!) There are so many decisions involved with a set like this... I didn’t really consider that when I started. 5E565EFC-5D60-425A-B93D-5895F1CF837E.png CC231E3C-471D-4B8E-ACC9-12A86B059162.png

Side note @gbandy - Cool to hear your story- I got into collecting because I inherited coins from my great-grandfather. It’s a great way to continue your family history! Can’t wait to see what you do with your album!

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice collection. I'm envious.

16. John Johnson

John Johnson Well-Known Member

I was thinking a Columbian Expo Half would make the most sense as the first commemorative.

17. gbandy

gbandy Junior Member

I think I’ll start a thread for my set tomorrow. Thanks for sharing yours, cool stuff!

CircCam likes this.
  18. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Lots of CircCammy goodness there. The Shield and Libnix look good together, all in a row like that. I know they're not what most people would pay attention to, but with that look, they really pop in the album shots.

Love both of those SLQs. You knew that.

Those black-and-white Seated quarters are really wonderful and the 20c looks great, too.

CircCam and gbandy like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

That one to me would have been a no-brainer. In my opinion, humble or otherwise, that 1877 quarter has easily 4x-5x the eye appeal of the 1875.

One has fantastic eye appeal, while the other is dead neutral in my sight and even leans a teensy-tinesy bit into negative territory. Not full-on ugly, mind you- and I'm sure the originality of the 1875 would score points with some- but to me there's no contest.

That would have made an interesting poll. I think the 1877 would win, but I know better than to think everyone would agree with me in that regard.

CircCam and gbandy like this.
  20. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Yeah, I struggled with that one as mentioned. The 75 fit grade wise with the other two in there so I opted to leave it. There was a pronounced flatness in the 1877 that bugged me... being a Seated Quarter guy I really like these in XF and up.

You know I’ll take the CircCam 9.9 times out of 10 but this was a rare exception. :)
    50642317-8DFA-45E2-88FD-29935B888BBB.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  21. lordmarcovan

You remind me that I presently have no Seated Liberty coins in my Eclectic Box... nor even a quarter of any type.

I shall have to remedy both of those shortcomings before too long.

John Johnson, Paul M. and CircCam like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted