Featured My Daniel Carr 1965D

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

I just received my Daniel Carr Peace Dollar 1965D overstrike fantasy coin, and said that I would evaluate it objectively. I have included two photographs, that are of mediocre quality, as we'e having severe thunderstorms, and my normal photographic setup just isn't working today--be glad to provide others on a better light day.

At any rate, it is a nice coin. The overall impression is of a softly struck Peace Dollar of gem quality. The devices are decently struck, with some grainy quality and a quite a bit of softness to them, as was expected. The fields are nice and clear (marks are on the flip, which were exaggerated by the direct flash, necessitated by today's weather).

Would I consider it a good coin in terms of the quality of minting and the overall impression of the design? Yes, definitely. It does look like a Peace Dollar, with some lack of symmetry due to the overstrike situation. The lettering doesn't line up perfectly, and there is a softness to the motto on the reverse. However, it is a pleasing coin.

Overall, I would call it a successful venture, and apologize to Mr. Carr for any negative comments made, regarding it appearing as a poor quality reproduction. It is NOT so--it is a good, solid restrike, that I am happy to have in my collection. I was wrong in my previous opinions. L1010434.jpg L1010431.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    green18, dwhiz, Jwt708 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I'm very happy with mine too. As a matter of fact I sent it off to ANACS. DC 1965D PD.jpg

Jwt708, mas4492, Chiefbullsit and 2 others like this.
  4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I don't think the quality of work was ever really debated on the other thread. Just about everyone who owned/seen one of his coins were in agreement that the work is of high quality. It should be for God's sake since he owns an actual Denver mint press. The controversy on the other thread was about whether Carr's work is truly fantasy or too similar to the real deal to be considered fantasy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  5. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

dwhiz, I'll be interested to see your 65 Peace in an ANACS slab.

Morgandude, your assessment was spot on and unbiased.

The grainy texture reminds me of the specimen finish of the
    collector version of the 5 ounce ATB quarters, though less pronounced.

I wonder what Daniel Carr will come up with next.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  6. dwhiz

I'll post it when it comes back, should be back by the end of the month

medjoy and Morgandude11 like this.
  7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Very good information here. I might have to pick one of these up...thanks for the info morgandude.

8. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Looks like the 1965s have sold out at Daniel Carr, 523 of the 65s were produced.
    http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_1.htm

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I know...but they are available on the secondary market.

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I also own one of the High Grade Finish 65's. I thought is was a beautiful re-strike coin. As I was viewing the coin, I just couldn't help thinking that "this is not how a Peace Dollar should look!". No contact marks, perfect fields, nice strike...I'm glad I own it, but IMO, it doesn't compare to a real high grade mint state Peace Dollar.

Morgandude11 and medjoy like this.
  11. Morgandude11

I am thinking of sending it to ANACS as well. I have not submitted coins to them in many years, as I am a member at both PCGS and NGC, and do submissions there. However, this coin would grade high MS, and it would be nice to have it attributed.

12. dwhiz

1965D Peace Dollar MS69 1.jpg 1965D Peace Dollar MS69 1a.jpg
    ANACS is going to ship this soon it graded MS69, I'll post a photo when it arrives
    ANACS posted the picture of the coin today, I like my photo better so I'll reshoot it when it comes in
    • Type:
    • Mint: D
    • Date: 1965
    • Denomination: TOKEN
    • Grade Name: MS 69
    • Variety: DAN CARR "PEACE $" D
    • Superlative:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    medjoy and Morgandude11 like this.
  13. dwhiz

1965D ANACS MS69.jpg

This is my original photo just added the ANACS MS69

green18 and Morgandude11 like this.
  14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

@Morgandude11 Nice review of the coin. I also think your post speaks well of your character (not that I ever thought anything negative about it). I don't see it very often when someone changes their mind and admits it.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  15. Morgandude11

Thanks--I had seen some Daniel Carr coins in the past, but only a brief look. Now that I own two of them (My Panama Canal showed up yesterday and I shall photograph it), I find that his stuff is really nice in terms of quality. I won't get involved in a debate as to the morality, as that has been decided already-what he's doing is legal. My concerns were for the quality of the coins, and his work is outstanding.

Jwt708 likes this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I never looked at his stuff before that big thread where he chimed in. I was aware of the overstrikes and wasn't really interested in it - haven't completed my Peace dollar set yet. I saw his medals and tokens and thought those are very cool.

17. Morgandude11

My Daniel Carr Panama Canal struck on brass. Only 40 minted:

L1010555.jpg L1010557.jpg

18. Morgandude11

Just ordered the alternative currency token from Daniel Carr's Moonlight Mint. This is the seller's picture:

una_1a_2014_ct_A.jpg

Jwt708 and dwhiz like this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

20. dwhiz

Mine arrived today back from ANACS...here's my photos but I'm not happy with them "bad photo day" 002-horz.jpg 021-tile.jpg

Morgandude11 likes this.
  21. medjoy

medjoy Active Member

Sweet !
    Thanks for posting.

dwhiz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted