My Current Interest In Julia Donna Coins IV : Cappadocia Caesarea

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by icerain, Apr 22, 2017.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Ok, I may have a problem when looking at coins. :D Seems that one type is simply not enough for me and I bought another Julia Domna coin from Cappadocia. I'm pretty sure everyone has seen this coin of mine already.

[​IMG]

:D:oops:
    Well, I managed to get myself another one. What struck me the most of the new one is the portrait. We all know there are many portraits of JD on her coins. But what intrigued me was how different it was, and it was only a year apart. And of course the reverse is different too.

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, Cappadocia Caesarea: Drachm
    170-217 AD
    AR17 , 3 g
    O: IOVΛIA ΔO-MNA, bust draped right
    R: MHTP OK AICAP NE Mount Argaeus surmounted by star ET-IΘ below/ year 19, 211AD
    Sydenham 451 var

I'm not sure which one looks better so I can't say its an upgrade. Only going to say I like them both equally.

Hope you guys and girls are not sick and tired of my Julia Domna threads by now. :oops:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    David@PCC, TJC, zumbly and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Bottom one looks slightly better to me as far as style. I thank you for gifting me the top one. :D

See what I did there? :rolleyes:

Smojo and icerain like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My only suggestion would be to find a year 5 Aphrodite to keep them company. I'm not sure how many years and types there are.
    pk1170bb0243.jpg

zumbly, Smojo, stevex6 and 8 others like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Never!

The different portraits of her make all the coins desireable. I wonder, since some portraits make her out as cute and lovely and others make her out as a super B, what did she actually look like for real. I know she was around for a long time, so perhaps much as to do with aging. But in this case, there is only a one year difference.

Nice new coin @icerain. Congrats, and you can never have enough!

Smojo and icerain like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

There is indeed a lot of variety in the style with which she is depicted, depending on mint. This one, for example has been attributed by some to be from the Emesa mint:

Domna Emesa VENER VICT denarius.jpg
    Julia Domna, AD 193-211
    Roman AR Denarius; 2.74 gm, 18.2 mm
    Emesa, AD 193-197
    Obv: IVLIA DOMNA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust, right
    Rev: VENER VICT, Venus standing left, holding apple and scepter
    Refs: RIC 630; BMCRE 422, RSC 188a; RCV --

As to what she may have looked like, here's Jasper Burns' reconstruction based on statues and coin portraits:

JuliaDomna.jpg

TJC, Smojo, stevex6 and 11 others like this.
  7. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Both are keepers! It never hurts to have duplicates.

icerain likes this.
  8. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

well, if you didn't have a lil OCD, what kind of collector would ya be?><

icerain likes this.
  9. gregarious

HOo.. frontal assault..with a hint of Mona Lisa..

Roman Collector and icerain like this.
  10. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

11. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Nice Domna coins everyone. Always looking for more and yet still have more to post. Is there a cure for this addiction? :D

12. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Agree with Bing. She has so many different portraits it makes sense for a collector to have a Domna focus.
    I only have one of her but I will ad to it at some point. I have a thing for empresses at least up to Fausta. As soon as I've settled my appetite there or maybe somewhere inbetween. I never know what I'm gonna do.
    Julia Domna-Pietas[RIC 574].jpg
    I'm waiting for a sweet Maesa to get delivered.
    You have a nice coin IR :cool:

Johndakerftw, stevex6, TIF and 5 others like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Both are really nice. I'd go with Doug's suggestion.

icerain likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Even within a mint there is a lot of variation but part of that can be attributed to the span of time the mint produced the types. This one seems to e to be rather late in the so-called 'Emesa' period. I hope someday soon we have a scholarly reworking of the Syrian mints but pinning down the correct location will not be the easy part.

rk5270bb0205.jpg rk5280bb1235.jpg rk5290bb1508.jpg rk5300bb0672.jpg rk5310xx1031.jpg

The type also comes in Septimius. We need to find a die link to establish the fact but the style seems to match.
    rg2700bb2350.jpg rg2705fd3436.jpg

Not updated since 1999 is my page on Emesa Julia denarii but it might be new to some.
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/jdemes.html

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  15. gregarious

more coins...

icerain likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted