My Cousin Carausius

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Pellinore, May 25, 2019.

1. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

This is the third coin I bought this week from a friend at the local coin club. The emperor Carausius, half and half a pirate, always fascinates me, not only because of his sly and wily ways of clinging to the supreme power in Britain and the West of Gaul, keeping distance whilst trying to woo his imperial adversaries. In the end he was not successful, because Allectus, that execrable treasurer of his, murdered him, only to be crushed himself soon by smarter and stronger Roman generals.

Carausius was born a Menapian: a Celtic tribe from the Southern Netherlands. They lived in what's now Zeeland and North-Brabant where my family hails from. He might well be a far cousin of me, although his jowls and cheekbone are far mightier than mine. But then, I don't have much imperial blood in my character. Neither I'm much of a sailor, let alone a pirate. That radiate crown would just feel itchy on my head.

However, sitting in my chair, pondering over this coin, I think: Cousin Carausius, wouldn't you share a cup of mulled wine with me and talk about those olden days of yore, when you went a-roaming over the grey unruly seas teasing the Romans and playing boss over the Britons.

Carau ct.jpg

Carausius, BI antoninianus, 24 mm, 3.39 gr. Rev. Providentia. Minted in C = Camulodunum = Colchester, Great Britain.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    Carausius (287 - 293 A.D.)
    Æ Antoninianus
    O: IMP C CARAVSIVS P F AVG, Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding olive-branch and sceptre; S in left field; P in right field.
    Camulodunum(?) Mint
    4.53g
    23mm
    RIC 475

[​IMG]
    Allectus (293 - 296 A.D.)
    Billon antoninianus
    O: IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: PROVIDENTIA AVG, Providentia standing left, globe in right hand, cornucopia in left hand, S in left field, P in right field, ML in exergue.
    Londinium (London, England) mint
    21mm
    2.52g
    RIC V-2 36

4. Jims Coins

Jims Coins Well-Known Member

IA-229A OBV.jpg IA-229A REV.jpg
    Heres my Carausius, Obv: IMP.C.CARAVSIVS.P.F.AVG. Rev: PAX.AVG

5. Jims Coins

IB-228A OBV.jpg IB-228A REV.jpg
    Heres my Allectus Obv: IMP.C.ALLECTVS.P.F.AVG.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

IMG_2975.JPG

Carausius for Maximian.
    AE Antoninainus.
    5.24 gm.

Radiate and cuirassed bust of Maximian facing right; IMP MAXIMIANVS P F AVG/ Pax standing left holding sceptre and branch S left P right; PAX AVGGG. MLXXI in exergue.

V2 London 34

The three G's in AVGGG represented Carausius, Diocletian and Maximianus as part of an attempt by Carausius to become equal in power with Diocletian and Maximianus, which failed.
    ex Jamesicus

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Here's to your cousin Carausius!

Carausius Pax AVGGG James Pickering.jpg CARAUSIUS
    AE Antoninianus. 3.65g, 22.9mm. "C" mint (Camulodunum/Clausentum), circa AD 286-293. RIC V 335. O: IMP C CARAVSIVS P AVG; Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right. R: PAX AVGGG, Pax standing left, holding branch and scepter; S-P across fields, C in exergue.
    Ex James '@jamesicus' Pickering Collection; ex CNG e-Auction 204 (2 Nov 2009), lot 184; ex J.S. Vogelaar Collection

And something a little unofficial...

Carausius - Unofficial Pax 2717.jpg CARAUSIUS
    AE Antoninianus. 2.4g, 19.8mm. Unofficial mint in Britain, circa AD 278-293. Apparently unpublished. O: IMP CARASIVS PA, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: [...] I [...], Pax (?) standing left, holding olive branch and (double?) cornucopiae; V in left field.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  9. Pellinore

I rather like that unofficial Carausius with its graceful Pax! Here is a very unofficial Carausius:

2682 Carausius B kl.jpg

Carausius 287-293. AE barbarous antoninianus. Obv. Radiate head right. Text around: IMP C CA (…) CVG. Rev. Providentia, in a short skirt, with some absurd appendages. Around it: VIHJ – THX. 15-17.5 mm (oval), 2.41 gr.

10. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

James, your coin has an interesting portrait with a long neck & double chin :D. It's also interesting how many of these usurpers sport an image of PAX on their coins. Carausius was obviously a seasoned politician too as the randygeki coin illustrates.

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

For those looking to cut down on the number of usurper coins, we have two for one:
    Carausius / Pax overstruck on a Victorinus / Salus
    IMP C VI AVSIVS PF AVG / SAVG X AVG
    rt3455bb3118.jpg

12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

How very thrifty of you :D.

Cool coin.

Pellinore and zumbly like this.
  13. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

14. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

A long time ago I owned this very nice one but sold it to finance another coin. I miss it. Would love the chance to re-buy it at twice of whatever I sold it for!
    2002-09-27.jpg

15. Pellinore

@Suarez Carausius appears to be laughing loud on your coin, great portrait!

16. Jims Coins

IA-229 OBVP.jpg IA-229 REVP.jpg IB-228 OBVP.jpg IB-228 REVP.jpg
    Here is some better pictures of Carausius & Allectus

Pellinore likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted