My collection of trade dollars II

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by kMANN, Jan 22, 2018.

1. kMANN

kMANN Member

I bought most of them at eBAY in 2008, some were slabbed, some not. In Norway it was common to break the slab and get the coins raw. Now it's not so common to break the slab.
    1878 cc has been at the forum before and of the most members stated as a counterfeit ?? after a long discussion(it is not chopmarked) I wonder if som of my other trade dollars are counterfeit too.
    Lowest weight 1876 25.94 gramm, highest 1878 cc 27.21 gramm. Diameter average 38, 15 millimeter.

I look foreward to hear from the forum.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

One of my goals some day is to put together a nice date set of AU Trades: probably all the S-mints. It would be a beautiful 6-coin set.

4. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

US Trade Dollars are among the most heavily counterfeited coins available on eBay. It's best to buy these certified from trusted sellers. The correct weight for an uncirculated one is 27.22 grams.

6. kMANN

kMANN Member

old49er likes this.
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I don't know if you'd have this chance in Norway, but if you can go to a show where there are authenticators present, they can give you the good, the bad, and the ugly with respect to your coins. This would also be a good learning experience, even if a painful one.

8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m tryto do a set too au and better and proofs except 84-5. It’s coming slowly as finances allow

9. Mainebill

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I question nearly all of them there’s a couple like the78 cc that are clearly not right. I think the 76 is either new or so horrifically damaged I can’t tell. It looks like casting bubbles but I can’t tell if it’s that or damage the 77 cc is no good the 77-78 s I don’t believe in either. Looking again I doubt all of them I thought the 77 p had a chance but I think it’s a struck counterfeit

10. kMANN

kMANN Member

Thank you. No mure eBAY for mee

11. Mainebill

Yeah good idea on trade dollars. Buy slabbed or from a dealer that knows and guarantees them. I see and often buy 1876-78 s and 77 p all the time. Original unchopmarked and uncleaned. Usually xf-au. For every real trade dollar I see especially high grades and better dates I see 4 that have problems though authentic so many were cleaned the common dates can be had for $200-$350 for a nice slabbed example or raw for a real one. Never buy a cc trade dollar raw 99% are fake

12. Mainebill

Notice the majority have the same surfaces. And the denticles are mushy and poorly defined in many areas. I think they used the chops to hide the weakness in the strike or casting details too to try and make them more convincing

13. pghpanthers2

pghpanthers2 Resurgent Collector

I have heard (could be wrong) that most trade dollars do not have the correct weight and that is the quickest, easiest first test for authenticity. You are correct to weigh them as an indicator (one of many) for counterfeits

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  14. pghpanthers2

pghpanthers2 Resurgent Collector

Meant to say “most counterfeit trade dollars do not have the correct weight”

Draft saved Draft deleted