My collection as of late! Sorry for bad photo quality :(

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BoonTheGoon, Jan 19, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Here's what I can tell you for sure (no doubt whatsoever) - if you want to become a grader at a TPGS or become a Qualified Exhibit Judge, you don't get to be EITHER ONE by "doing things your own way". The education process is perhaps 90% actual "indoctrination". You have to be able to demonstrate that you'll be doing things the way they always have been done, or you don't pass and get your certification. That is the way MOST things in life work, or DID work before "everybody" became their own "expert." (As if...)

Yeah, yeah, sure, sure, I get it. The Internet generations are "different" and are going to "change the world". I wish 'em well. But I suspect their idealism will crash and burn against the real world's "standards".

Just one more reason why I've decided that traditional numismatics and Internet-based numismatics aren't even the same hobby.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    352sdeer likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't get the negativity. BoontheGoon seems like he's on the right track. His collection appears to be in the early stages of someone feeling things out to get a feel for what they like... plus he has, books! That puts him in the upper 10% of our new members. ;)

If anything, I might warn him to be cautious of those Americana series holdered coins and their like. Often times the coins can be heavily polished. If the price is right, have at it, but be wary.

Also, I like the display. I think it looks nice and is cool way to display collection. However, it does expose the coins to more elements than other forms of storage. So, that might be something to consider in the future if Boon starts getting into higher value coins.

Trish and JPeace$ like this.
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Guessing sponge bob square pants friend ( blue star fish)

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Heck dang you devil.........you beat me to it. :)

LaCointessa and Chiefbullsit like this.
  6. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

Looking good so far Boon, keep at it!

7. green18

I think Boon the Goon is an 'way Kool' individual. Especially that avatar........dat you Bro?

I've always collected what I've liked. You have to do so to find a 'niche' that you like most in collecting. Once found, it becomes a passion, but that don't mean you can't still pick up stuff you like.

There are members here who have collections consisting of high grade coins that number in the 'few', but the few they bear are notable specimens. I've toyed with the idea of doing likewise, but I just can't bring myself to do so. Many of those acquisitions, bought over a lifetime, evoke fond memories, and if I sold them all, I'd have to give all of those memories up. I really believe one can 'have his cake, and eat it too. Welcome to the forum boonThe goon.........:)

Garlicus and JPeace$ like this.
  8. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

I accidently clicked reply and I forgot how to turn it off :p

9. BoonTheGoon

wait you dont need to turn it off im silly!

10. green18

Don't over think things......:)

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Hey, hey, if I couldn't do that, what would I do to fill the time?

green18 likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Your the cats ass

13. Cheech9712

Ben Franklin

14. V. Kurt Bellman

Actually, it was Alexander Hamilton - NO, not THAT Alexander Hamilton, a namesake that was a British broadcaster in the 1930's.

15. Traci

Traci Active Member

@BoonTheGoon I love your collection! It's way more advanced and focused than mine. I think I read you inherited your stuff as I did. It's overwhelming and first. My favorite things are nickels and store cards. Lots of varieties of each but I focus on what I like and interests me the most. Probably makes no sense to anyone but me. So much to learn but that just takes time. Good for you!!!;)

16. V. Kurt Bellman

When one inherits coins, UNLESS there are immediate tax issues, time is your friend. The process of learning about these "pieces of history in your hands" can only bring one closer to the person who passed them along to you. Enhancing that eternal "bond" and carrying forward even a piece of what he or she learned is a gift to all generations to come. Cherish it. In essence, all that is eternal about humans is the knowledge we pass along.

jafo50, mynamespat and Traci like this.
  17. BoonTheGoon

I could not agree more, my grandpa also gave me a 2 cutlasses for christmas but I only found out that they were older than we had thought 2 months after he died yet I still felt closer just by finding the info we both were looking for about them.

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  18. V. Kurt Bellman

You're a lucky man for that journey.

19. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

We see the difference Kurt, they don’t. You’ll never get them to see for free what you have had to learn from years of study and investment in.....what are they...... BOOKS and hands on experience.
    Like most human beings most coin collectors know better that you and won’t listen so why bother Kurt they wouldn’t. Suggest and step back to watch the train wreck. Poor Boon is a numismatic newborn and I wish him luck.
    Reed

20. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

If you like Old German Stuff, I find the most interesting German Coins are pre-1900, when all the German States had their own coins... you can get them back to the 1500's, and they are fun to identify!!! I have quite a few (like hundreds, maybe.)

Draft saved Draft deleted