My collection as of late! Sorry for bad photo quality :(

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BoonTheGoon, Jan 19, 2018.

1. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Here is my collection tell me what you think, the boxes have a bunch of world coins and the red box has 2017 p pennies as well as some unc pennies from the 70s and 80s! IMG_0131[1].JPG IMG_0131[1].JPG IMG_0131[1].JPG IMG_0132[1].JPG IMG_0133[1].JPG

Attached Files:

dlhill132, Dimedude2, green18 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Do you have a rhyme or reason to your collecting? If not, this is an ACCUMULATION, not a COLLECTION.

4. BoonTheGoon

I like to collect things that are to my tastes, It is organized in sections but its hard to tell with the photos. I tend to collect as I enjoy looking at the coins and Its cool to have somthing of the sort. I am planning to sell some of it to get some more valuable stuff and I also have a few friends that are getting into the hobby but dont have much money, In general though its just things that I tend to fancy most! P.S I need a new cabinet :)

Traci, Dimedude2 and Jimski like this.
  5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I disagree with TheFinn. It's your collection, put together the pieces you want. No rules.

Looks like you're having fun.

Traci, micbraun, Dimedude2 and 8 others like this.
  6. BoonTheGoon

My fav part of my collection is the german stuff, I have a ton from pre ww1 all the way up to 1991!

Kentucky and JPeace$ like this.
  7. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

HAVE FUN, IT LOOKS LIKE MY COLLECTION. ITS JUST WHAT I LIKE!

Kentucky and green18 like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

It USED TO BE fairly unanimous that this type of unfocused collecting was frowned upon, but apparently "USED TO BE" died somewhere along the road recently. And we thought WE were all about "do your own thing" with our (actually, not mine per se, but my contemporaries) tie-dyed shirts and our THC-stained torn blue jeans and our Grateful Dead vinyl. (or maybe the Stones)

Dimedude2 and abuckmaster147 like this.
  9. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I get the fact that some people feel this is not the way to build a collection, but why should it matter how an individual coin enthusiast builds his/her collection? I don't get that thinking.

Jimski likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

These days, I am the poster child of "do your own thing" (see "Eclectic Box" link).

Wasn't always that way for me. I used to follow more traditional lines of collecting ("sets" of stuff).

But I just kind of evolved and as I got older and more experienced numismatically, I finally started to trust my own instincts enough to take off in certain directions on my own - "off the beaten path", so to speak.

Collect what you like. I do.

That looks like a fun batch of stuff, and I see some old-school books there, too. I take it these were your grandfather's things that you mentioned in your intro thread.

German coins can be habit-forming. I like World coins in general, because they give one a ticket to travel in one's mind, all over the world... and through time.

Jimski and sidestick like this.
  12. V. Kurt Bellman

I DO get that thinking, not just in numismatics, but in most aspects of life. It's been called "having and adhering to standards" when and where I was taught, and we were taught it had value to the extreme in its own right.

Then again, I AM of Germanic stock, and "Vee Do Haff Vays...".

13. MrBubs

MrBubs Member

Sticky Fingers with the zipper

14. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

Collect what you want and enjoy those items. If and when your focus changes you can always sell what no longer interests you and start collecting your new interest. Some people collect to invest and some to just collect; nothing wrong with either.

15. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

Collect what you like. Some folks like filling holes because it gives them goals. Others like the freedom to just collect whatever. Your tastes will change over time and that’s cool, too. If you get tired of a piece you can sell or gift it to a beginner. Looks like you have a lot to choose from already.

It’s cliche but true in that it’s more about the journey and less about the destination. The thrill of the hunt does it for me. I’m weird because I like ancient coins and modern bullion, too. The old crusties and the new shinies. Have fun man.

16. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Happy Collecting

mlov43 and LaCointessa like this.
  17. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Boon the Goon...I see you have a copy of the "Silver Dollar Encyclopedia". A very fine book indeed!

18. BoonTheGoon

I got that at the coinshop for only a few dollars, its quite a nice book!

19. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

I am too, and so was the man who wrote this:

20. V. Kurt Bellman

Ah, but who wrote:

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

21. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Draft saved Draft deleted