My CoinTalk Birthday

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, May 25, 2016.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

As of today, I've been on the CoinTalk forums for a year! I was planning on celebrating by going out and getting a new coin, except I managed to rip a massive hole in my jeans at work. Rather than going coin shopping, I went home (trying to prevent even more of my students from seeing my underwear...). However, a recent auction win showed up in the mail, so there were coins coming for my CT Birthday after all!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

I will need to sit down with a good book to fully attribute these guys, but they are from the Genoese trading outpost of Caffa in Mongol territory. Caffa was blamed by the writer Gabrielle de Mussis for being the origin point for the Black Death, which then spread through Europe (he claimed the Mongols were besieging the city and threw infected cadavers into the city using their catapults - an early version of biological warfare). This is very likely, as this would be Genoa's main outpost for trading on the Silk Road, and there is a belief that the the plague may have originated in China (and was a sign to the Chinese that the Mandate of Heaven had shifted from the Mongol Yuan dynasty to the new Ming dynasty), and then spread along trade routes to eventually be found in Europe.

The bronze coin might be from the time of the plague (likely after), and the two silver coins are certainly after the plague. As I said, I'll need to get the book and do a little more research (then I'll come back with some proper pictures).

Oh, and I became a supporter. $29 seems like a small price to pay for a year of joy, and I would encourage others to support this excellent site!

noname, panzerman, chrsmat71 and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Happy CoinTalk Birthday! :D

panzerman, spirityoda and FitzNigel like this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Sorry about the pants and happy CoinTalk birthday! Interesting coins, hope you disinfected after handling them ;)

I agree about Supporting the forum. Apparently the founder, Peter Davis, sold his collection to keep it going.

noname, panzerman, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

NICE and COOL coins @FitzNigel ... WOW, you think those coins are still infected? :D :D :D... you are too close to me!

I JUST renewed my SUPPORTER status again just YESTERDAY!

panzerman and FitzNigel like this.
  6. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Happy CT Birthday :D

7. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

You can come by and sniff the coins if you want Alegandron - in fact, maybe some of that leftover plague is responsible for what happened to my pants...
    image.jpeg

8. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Happy cointalk birthday. Glad you got a nice package of coins for the occasion.

9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, that is pretty hard to rip Levi's like that! Did YOU get gouged during the melee with whatever your As attacked? OUCH!

panzerman likes this.
  10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

How the heck did you get a hole....never mind. Congrats on your 1 year anniversary/birthday.

11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I was bending over and lifting boxes... Apparently it's diet time. The sad thing is those were the pair of jeans which were too big for me... (There were other messy things happening at work, so I wore something I wouldn't mind getting ruined - I had no idea HOW ruined they would get!)

12. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I was feeling like this:
    image.jpeg

13. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Run 5 miles a day, I lost 20 pounds doing that this last year at University. I went from 165 to 145.
    Oh and happy CT B-day!

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ugh! - But congratulations on your weight loss!

panzerman likes this.
  15. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Torn jeans, new coins, new supporter status... what a way to celebrate a Happy CT birthday!

noname, panzerman and FitzNigel like this.
  16. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

A simple diet change works wonders. A couple years ago I went from 220 to 170 in about 2 maybe 3 months, never ran an inch or exercised. I am pretty active but maintain a 165-170 by the food I eat.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BY THE WAY

panzerman, FitzNigel and Alegandron like this.
  17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Happy CT Birthday and good luck with the pants..........I think Tif has a sewing machine. devil.gif

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I'm actually good on the weight - I'm at 150. I could probably do with some more exercise to get my abs back though.

Thank you all! Throw some more coins in this thread though! Go crazy! How about anniversary coins or first coin you posted on CoinTalk?

panzerman likes this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

he ripped 1 (farted) a tore his jeans :facepalm:

panzerman and Magnus Maximus like this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Coincidentally, the first coin I ever posted on CT was struck for the 900th anniversary of the founding of Rome. I still enjoy posting it :).

image.jpeg

21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

When I first got serious into weight lifting my legs grew a lot. I had to step over a baby gate to get diapers or something and as my leg came over the gate the inside of my jeans split. Since then I almost never wear jeans and I'm happier! :D

Coins? Ah...how about some ancient additions I haven't really shared or overshared?

So I like to collect campgates and I really wanted one with doors and I am very pleased to have added this one:

JWT 126 Constantine I Camp Gate.jpg

Being a campgate collector, I found out about city gates which are even cooler!
    JWT 118 Diadumenian Nikopolis City Gate.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted