My coins of Galba

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I want to start this post by showing my current denarii of Galba and finish it with a win in today's CNG auction (yes it is another Galba). It is no secret to regular user here that I have been accumulating what I think are interesting coins of Galba. I am attracted to the unusual portraits.

From Sutherland "Supplementum Galbianum" 1984

"The difficulties of Galba's coinage have been felt by many numismatists. In revising
    RIC I was no less subject to these than others before me. Since my revised
    volume was published I have been able to study the casts of nearly 200 specimens
    of the non-Roman aurei and denarii of Galba which were not available
    to me during the process of revision. It therefore seems right to publish, as
    soon as possible, the results of this regrettably later study, in order to correct
    and amplify the lists in pp. 232 ff. of RIC I (revised) (cited here as RIC F).
    These amendments and additions are due mainly to the immense internal variation
    in Galba's non-Roman gold and silver. The legends, both obverse and
    reverse, and their disposition, show constant variety, which is not seldom masked
    by worn condition."

Galba, AD 68-69. Denarius, Spain (Tarraco ?), 68. AR 3.25 g.
    Obv: GALBA - IMPERTOR Laureate head r., globe at point of bust.
    Rev. VIRTVS Virtus, wearing short tunica, standing l., holding parazonium with her l. hand, on her outstretched r. hand Victoria with palm branch and wreath.
    RIC 48a (R3) Supplementum Galbianum, Quaderni Ticinesi XII Numismatica E Antichita Classiche 1984. Cf. BMC 341, 194v.; BN III, 36, 34v.; C. 210; RIC 30var. (all with IMP on obv.).
    Very rare variant. Toned. Small chips on flan. Almost very fine
    Provenance: Auction UBS, Zurich 49 (2000), 365.
    Ex: “The Galba Collection”
    Hess Divo Auction 333, Lot 100 November 30, 2017
    Hess Divo Auction 334 Lot 107 May 29, 2018

Galba ric 48a new photo.jpg

Here is a rare denarius of Galba. For a while I thought it was an unpublished variant. It did not appear in RIC 1 (1984).I have to thank Dr. Jryki Muona for supplying the correct reference for me. It appeared in a paper by Sutherland in 1984 entitled Supplementum Galbianum. In this paper several previously unpublished coins of Galba including mine were added. My coin type was given the reference number RIC 48a. Other information including corrections and further information is given in the paper. This coin does not occur in the major museum collections. There is one in the Oxford collection and this is the coin used in the paper cited above. There is one other that was auctioned in 2004 by Gorny & Mosch. I have been unable to find any further examples.

From Sutherland (1984)

"After no. 48, add no. 48a: Denarius with obv. 3 b D and rev. ) VIRTVS, type
    as no. 30. R3. Oxford.

(iv) RIC I', p. 234, nos. 33-48a. Portrait obverses with legends 3a, 3b and 3c.

RIC I', no. 40 (BMC 178, rev. Roma Renasc) shares an obv. die with no. 45
    (Vienna, rev. Roma Victrix) and no. 48a (Oxford, rev. Virtus)."

For me the most notable quality of this coin is not the rarity (it is R3: 6-10 examples known in the collections examined for RIC), it is the amazing portrait. I have several coins of Galba and not one of the portraits is close to any of the others. There is a remarkable variation in portraits on Galba's denarii, especially considering the short reign of the emperor.

Where was this coin minted? It has the globe at the terminus of the bust. This would seem to indicate Taracco in Spain. However, after some research I have discovered that other mints may have used the globe terminus. In other words, if there is no globe it was not minted in Taracco, if it has the globe it may be Taracco.

The reverse with Virtvs holding victory does appear on other coins of Galba. However, on the vast majority of these the legend "Vitvus" is on the left and not the right. I have seen 2 other types with "Virtvs" on the right. However, on one the bust has no globe terminus so it is not a Tarraco mint coin. On the other, the obverse legend is different and the coin is probably a product of the Carthage mint in Africa because of the distinctive portrait.

I am very happy to have acquired this coin. It is unusual, interesting, and has a great portrait as well as an interesting reverse.

Galba. 68-69 AD. Denarius, 3.50gg. (5h). Tarraco. Obv: GALBA - IM[PERATOR] Head laureate right on globe. Rx: LIB - [ERTAS] - RESTITVTA Libertas standing left, apparently emptying a cup and holding scepter. BM 198, pl. 54.3. RIC 9 (R2), pl. 24 (the BM spec.). Cf. Paris 12, pl.III (apparently no globe below bust). Cohen 133 (120 Fr.). VF.
    Ex Jyrki Muona Collection.
    Ex Gemini XIV April 2018 Lot 475.
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.

"On the Paris specimen of this coin the scepter on reverse has a thickened upper end, so Cohen thought it was a thyrsus and called the figure Ariadne. On the BM specimen the scepter has no bulge at the end, but Matting[ly] still followed Cohen in calling it a "thyrsus(?)", and suggested that the figure was a Bacchante, the type perhaps referring to "some kindness that Galba rendered to Spain in the form of removal of restrictions on the culture of vines" (Introduction, p. ccix). It seems more probable that the deity is just Libertas, as named in the legend, and that the cup she apparently empties on several dies, replacing her normal cap of liberty, is merely an engraver's whim or error."

(Description by Curtis Clay from original auction listing)

Galba RIC 9 new photo.jpg

I purchased this one because I really liked the portrait. The bust is of high relief and seems to almost jump off of the coin. As you can read in the attribution, this coin was purchased from the Gemini auction held by Harlan Berk. Before that this coin was the property of a well known collector-Dr. Jyrki Muona. This is my second Galba denarius from his collection. The other one is listed later in this post.

Another interesting fact about this coin is where it was minted. This coin was minted in Spain, specifically in Tarraco. Spanish mint denarii of Galba are sought after and actively collected. I think that one of the reasons for this has to do the interesting portraits on these coins.

Of course the reverse on this coin is also interesting. Though the full legend is not on the reverse, it was supposed to read "Libertas Restitvta" or Liberty Restored. The suicide of Nero led to a civil war. As the next emperor it was in Galba's interest to present as rosy a picture of the empire as possible. The restoration of liberty would have been a popular message with the roman populace.

GALBA, A.D. 68-69. AR Denarius(3.38 gms), Rome Mint, ca. A.D. July 68-January 69.. Obv: "IMP SER GALBA CAESAR AVG PM" Laureate bust of Galba facing right; Rev:: Virtus standing facing, holding parazonium upwards and leaning on vertical spear.NGC Ch F, Strike: 5/5 Surface: 4/5.RIC-236 (R3)
    Provenance: From the Graywood Collection.
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database

Image used courtesy of Stack's Bowers Galleries

Galba ric 236 copy.jpg

This denarius is quite rare. One aspect that makes it rare is the addition of "PM" in the obverse legend. Their are other examples similar coins without the "PM" that are somewhat more available than this one.

I was attracted to 2 aspects of this denarius. First was the portrait. Portraits of Galba vary widely across his denarii, but this one is quite unusual. It does not look like the portraits on most of his denarii. The other aspect that attracted me to this coin was the use of Virtus on the reverse. According to one expert, Virtus is female, so the figure on the reverse is the nude emperor Galba himself taking on the attributes of Virtus. Apparently, nude representations of the emperor are unusual on imperial coins.

Galba AR denarius, VF, Rome mint,
    ( 3.512g, 19.0mm, 180o), Nov 68 - Jan 69 A.D.;
    elegant style, light toning on nice surfaces, high-points flatly struck,
    Obv: IMP SER GALBACAESAR AVG, laureate head right;
    Rev: HISPANIA (counterclockwise starting on left), Hispania advancing left, draped, poppy and two stalks of grain in extended right hand, round shield and two transverse spears in left hand;
    RIC I 193 (R2), BMCRE I 16, RSC II 83, BnF III 89, Hunter I 1 var. (no CAESAR, Aug - Oct 68), SRCV I (2000) 2103 var. (same)
    Ex: the Jyrki Muona Collection; Ex: Forum Ancient Coins
    Coin depicted in the Wildwinds.com database.

GALBA new.jpg
    This is one of my favourite coins. I love the portrait on the obverse and the depiction of Hispania on the reverse. Galba was the first ruler in the 'year of the four emperors' in 69 CE. I love the portrait and it has an interesting reverse. It also has a very good provenance; the coin is from the collection of Dr. Jyrki Muona.

Finally, here is my new addition.
    Galba. AD 68-69. AR Denarius
    (17mm, 3.51 g, 6h).
    Spanish mint (Tarraco?).
    Struck circa April-late AD 68.
    Obv: GALBA IMP Laureate bust right, [globe at point of bust]
    Rev: VIRTVS, Virtus standing left, holding Victory in extended right hand, cradling parazonium with left arm.
    RIC I 31; RSC 333a. Fine, toned
    Ex: CNG 417, Lot 427 March 28, 2018 (sold for 360.00 plus fees)
    Ex: CNG 425, Lot: 403. July 25, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 12.15.45 PM.png

It certainly pays (literally in this case) to do one's research. I saw this in the latest CNG sale and I was interested in it. First, it has one of those interesting small head portraits.

From Sutherland (1984)

"There was, curiously,
    a noticeable tendency towards much smaller and more compact portrait-
    heads, seen for example in RIC I', nos. 14, 20, 23a, 28a, 29, 29a, 30, 30a,
    31 (PL. I. 15) and 32."

Second, it is attributed to a Spanish mint. third it has an interesting die link.

From Sutherland (1984)
    RIC F, no. 29a (B.M. (1935), rev. S P Q R on shield in wreath) shares an obv.
    die with no. 31 (Oxford, rev. Virtus).

Most importantly I just liked it. When I researched the coin before the hammer fell I found out that this coin was the only example in CoinArchives. However it was listed twice. Today's auction was listed as upcoming, but the same coin was also listed in a CNG sale from March 2018. The very good news for me (and not so much for the seller) is that in March the coin hammered for almost exactly twice what I got the coin for today. All things considered; the rarity, the Virtus reverse (that is 3 I have now) the interesting portrait, and the irresistible price, made this coin a must have.

So now I will be on the lookout for Galba denarii minted in Narbo or otherwise in Gaul, and well as those minted in Carthage.

Please post your coins of Galba.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, you are gettin' BUNCHES of that Galba-Guy! Nice write up, and very cool scarce/rare coins! Congrats

My only two Galbas (I usually only collect 1 ea Ruler, but I also like Quinarii.)

RI GALBA AR Quinarius Lugdunum mint laureate r Victory globe stdng left 15mm 1.5g SCARCE.JPG
    RI GALBA AR Quinarius Lugdunum mint laureate r Victory globe stdng left 15mm 1.5g SCARCE

upload_2018-7-25_13-54-48.png
    Galba CE 68-69. AE dupondius 11.1g Rome mint, struck CE 68 SER GALBA IMP CAES AVG TR P - S P Q R OB CIV SER oak wreath RIC 290

4. galba68

galba68 Well-Known Member

orfew, unfortunately, l never find coins of galba..

Marsyas Mike and Curtisimo like this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You have some nice Galba examples @Orfew
    Galba 3.jpg Galba 2.jpg

6. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Wow! Great specialty collection you have going on there! I love doing in-depth research into varieties and comparing my coins to other published and sold specimens. Informative write-up, too.

Carl Wilmont, Curtisimo and Orfew like this.
  7. Orfew

Thanks @Roman Collector

I have a great deal of fun researching my coins. It is almost as enjoyable as owning them.

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I've always found the 69 AD emperors appealing.

RS012-Galba.JPG

9. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Fantastic Galba collection! I can't get over how your new Galba so closely resembles the 'uncertain mint' denarii of Vespasian.

10. Orfew

Thanks David. Please post an example, I would love to see it.

11. David Atherton

I wish the picture was better, but since the coin is in my safe deposit box it will have to do.

V1363A.JPG
    Vespasian
    AR Denarius, 2.90g
    Uncertain mint, 69-70 AD
    RIC 1363A (R3). BMC - . RSC - .
    Obv: IMP CAESAR VESPASIANVS AVG; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r., globe below
    Rev: TITVS ET DOMITIANVS PRIN IV; Titus and Domitian std. l. on curule chairs, with branches

I have a few other denarii attributed to an uncertain mint, but I think this portrait is closer in style to your new Galba.

12. Orfew

Very interesting David. There are certainly similarities in the portrait. the included the way the terminus of the bust points towards the legend. Are there any studies out there on Spanish mint coins of vespasian?

13. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice Galbas, everyone. Someday I hope to luck into a cheap denarius (ha). I do have one, a countermarked Nero as, which I did luck into cheap:

Nero w Galba countermark May 2018 (1).JPG

Nero / Galba Æ As
    (63 A.D.; c/m 69 A.D.)

NERO CLAVDIVS CAESAR AVG GERMANICVS, laureate head right / [GENIO AVGVSTI], Genius, naked to waist, standing half-left, holding cornucopiae,
    [altar left]. RIC 125
    Countermark: ΓAΛBΛ (GALBA in Greek) Howgego GIC 526
    (9.77 grams / 27 mm)

Galba Countermarks:
    "GALBA in Greek Letters (Martini Pangerl Collection 92). This countermark occurs also on Provincial coins and is Howgego as GIC 526. (These) coins are in the grey zone between official coins (so called Thrakian mint) and provincial coins of the
    Balkan region" (Museum of Roman CM)

14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

I am looking for a Galba tet of Alexandria such as the following (not my coin)

galba.jpg

They seem to be quite rare and I can't find any for sale currently. Apparently they do come up in auctions once in awhile, the above coin sold for $360.

15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

They're out there although as you've noted, not terribly common. ACsearch shows four sold this year (hammers $76, $185, $325, and $4500). The $185 coin was from Agora Sale 74 and was a very nice bargain. There are 38 hits altogether using search terms "Egypt Galba tetradrachm elephant", the word elephant included to hit Alexandria's headdress since using the search word Alexandria would obviously bring up other coins :).

16. David Atherton

Les monedes de Vespasià de la provincia tarraconensis (69-70 DC) by Ian Carradice, Xavier Sanahuja, Jaume Benages. I haven't read the book so cannot comment on it. Alternatively, most of the modern scholarship on Vespasian's Spanish mints can be found in the new RIC II and the chapter on Vespasian's Spanish mints in The Metallurgy of Roman Silver Coinage by Kevin Butcher and Matthew Ponting.

17. Orfew

Many thanks David. I will look up some of those sources.

David Atherton likes this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I got mine for less then $100 from JA.

[​IMG]
    Galba, (68 - 69 A.D.)
    AR Tetradrachm, 13.6, 23mm, 12h; Egypt: Alexandria, AD 68.
    Obv.: ΛOY KAIΣ ΣOYΛΠ ΓAΛBA [-]; Laureate head right, LA in right field.
    Rev.: AΛEΞAN - ΔPEA; Draped bust of Alexandria right wearing elephant headdress.
    Reference: Dattari 298; RPC I, 5326
    From the Aethelred Collection

19. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

here are two interestig portraits of Galba:

Attached Files:

20. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

GALBA.
    laureate head r. “ IM P SER GALBA CAE AVG”, Rev: large”S C” within laurel wreath. Mint: Antioch, Syria. 68-69 AD. AE22, (21-22 mm./ 7.13 gr.) McAlee 314 (same dies) nVF ”Agreat portrait. Rare, only the second known to McAlee ”. From the Richard McAlee collection. Rutten &Wieland, CH, July 2009

GALBA
    , laureate bust l. .”IMP SER GALBA AVG”. Rev.: Salus advancing left, resting foot on globe, holding patera & vertical rudder, lighted altar before “SALVS GEN HVMANI”. Superb portrait. Mint:Rome. 68-69 AD ARD. ( 3.27gr./18mm). VF. Ref.:. RIC 210. ROMA Numismatics,

21. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted