My coin intentions for 2020

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kasia, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Wow, can't believe that the year 2020 is in sight now!

Rather than resolutions on the New Year, I like the word 'intentions' better, as it can incorporate bigger ideas of where one might like to be and open up more possibilities, not letting one feel trapped a few weeks or a month later when life just gets in the way.

[​IMG] (and a coin or two)

So, for 2020, I intend to look for ancients at coin shows and see what might cross my path and ability to acquire. Absolutely without looking for something in particular. A second intention would be to buy anywhere from one to maybe four or five ancients this way.

I intend to find a way to attend three show this year.

I intend to continue my 1957 coin set, PCGS high quality.

I intend to gather my Icelandic coins and figure which other ones are still needed to complete my set.

I intend to renew my membership in my local club and go to three or more meetings.

I intend to participate next year in this forum's Secret Santa. That is a big highlight of my year.

I intend to write up about some coins and post here for others to enjoy.

I intend to roll search nickels this year.

I intend to enjoy my coins.

How about you?

What will happen at the end of this coming year when you literally have 20-20 hindsight????

NSP, dwhiz, wxcoin and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Good list of intentions you have there!

I intend to get a GoPro camera and start Metal Detecting videos to post on my YouTube channel.

I intend to get some more major mint errors (of course)

I intend to go to a FUN show sometime in 2020.

I intend to write an article for CONECA.

I intend to build up a better Paper Currency Printing Error collection.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Peace :angelic:

NSP, dwhiz, wxcoin and 6 others like this.
  4. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Hmm, for me there's the realistic version, and the version I'd go with if I had infinite funds (let's call those "long term goals"). But here's my reasonably realistic goals for 2020:

Would like to fill that last hole in my Dansco 7070. I think I could swing that easily enough.

Want to buy back some coins I used to have in my collection but regret selling at financially desperate times.

Want to get some more Japanese coins, especially Meiji era ones. I'm going to set up a separate album for them.

Want to do the thing I'm many years overdue for, sort through my "junk box" of unsorted coins (mostly world coins) and put at least one of each type into a holder for presentation.

Submit a few coins for grading that I think are worth it or are inconvenient to store and display as they are right now.

Maybe attend at least one coin show.

Seriously thinking about starting a new set that's easy enough to actually finish in my lifetime for a reasonable amount of money, but takes enough effort to feel satisfying. I'm thinking Ike dollars maybe.

5. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I intend on staying in touch more often with my friends here on Coin Talk!

I intend on starting to invest more time into my collection in regards to building it instead of "hoarding" things that don't make much sense to me.

I intend on starting up a youtube channel (everyone don't pass out with you're dreadful hate of the "tube")

I intend on starting a podcast early this year as well!

I hope everyone here has a wonderful holiday and here's wishing each and every one of you a very happy and healthy 2020!

6. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Now that NGC is once again allowing PCGS coin into their Registry Sets, I am loading some of my collection into those sets.
    First thing I found out was that my 100% correct inventory isn't 100% correct.
    So before ANYTHING else I intend to get my inventory straightened out.
    ANNOYING THINGS:
    -- buying a coin I already have because my database is wrong.
    -- not being able to locate a coin in the NGC or PCGS databases because I've got the slab number wrong.

NSP, spirityoda, wxcoin and 2 others like this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

"I intend to".... Is a great and smart thread for 2020.

I will get much more organized with my coin collections.

I will focus much more on which coins I want for my collection.

I will sell or trade or give free some coins that I do not want in my collection anymore.

I will continue researching coins.

I will start collecting very specific ancient coins... I am committed now.

I will pay down my 2 credit cards before spending money on expensive coins. This is a promise. This has been very hard for me not to buy coins this year, but first things first.

I will attend 2-4 coin shows in Las Vegas. Starting in April or May after my 2 credit cards are paid off. The short back story to that is...I do not like going to coins shows just to look at coins. I feel obligated to buy coins after looking at my favorite coin dealers coins for 5-7 hours so I will wait until I have enough money to attend the Las Vegas coin shows.

I will buy a slabbed PCGS or NGC "2020" dated proof cent just because I think it will look so cool seeing the date 2020 on a coin (the 2020 cent specifically).

Probably in mid-2020 I will get a new for me Apple iPhone with a great closeup camera and reshoot my coins photos.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
    NSP, wxcoin, Bambam8778 and 3 others like this.
  8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I intend to keep posting on Coin Talk, hopefully in a non-annoying manner. :D

I hope to start selling some of my coins... we'll see

NSP, wxcoin, Bambam8778 and 1 other person like this.
  9. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I intend to fill the remaining slots in my Dansco Buffalo nickel album.

Add another high grade slabbed coin to my mother (1916), father (1923), and mine (1955) birth set.

Submit 10-20 coins to get graded and slabbed.

Bowl an 800 series.

Open the bottle of Dewers I just got as a gift.

NSP and Kasia like this.
  10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I just joined the National Token Collectors Association. I intend to read as many of their archived journals as I can-- in between listening to Atlas Shrugged audiobook. Still have 42 CDs to go with that. Then I intend to see how I like merchant tokens. I'm wondering how many merchant tokens are out there with 9th street or 9th ave. etc in the address? I intend to buy a 2020 Chiwoo round if design isn't lame like 2019.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    NSP, wxcoin and Kasia like this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Been thinking about this since you posted yesterday morning. I am very guilty of being smitten by a well struck coin and plundering forth with the purchase. As a result I have a lot of beautiful coins piled up with little or no direction or organization. So, my well thought out intentions are:
    • Spend more time developing organization to my piles of coins and create a direction.
    • Spend more time developing my six year old boys blossoming interest and my teenage grandsons serious interest in coin collecting.
    • Temper my impulse buys.
    • Organize, organize, organize!
    • Get off my duff and spend more time detecting.
    It’s hard to look at yourself and try to come to grips with your flaws. I am a rabid hobbyist and have been for fifty years. I tease my wife about blindly purchasing shoes, but man I need to take some of my own medicine!

wxcoin and Kasia like this.
  12. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Ah, shoes!!!!! I've been known to buy a few pair just because I would have loved to be able to wear them (even though they don't really fit my clothes choices or are appropriate for most occasions) or found myself only wearing them once or twice. Beautiful things.

Sometimes coins are a bit like shoes.... You are just so darn attracted to them and have to have them.

wxcoin and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  13. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

My coin intentions for 2020:
    - Slim down my collection by selling doubles and low quality coins.
    - Learn to take better photos — and once that is accomplished — photograph my collection.
    - Submit several coins for grading with one of the big three.
    - Improve record keeping. I am discovering that lack of documentation when selling coins is not
    a good thing.

Kasia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted