My coin got killed!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kasia, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Poor horse.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

Thank you and I understand fully.

4. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

[HR][/HR]
    There are numerous possibilities. Desertgem presents a valid possibility, but I don't have the mentality to opine about it.
    I still believe in the scratches, like this one:
    piece.JPG

5. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

I'll be looking forward to seeing if NCS can restore the coin to the condition it was before they "restored" it.

[​IMG]

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Conservation of copper, particularly red copper, is always a crapshoot. I'm sorry to hear you came out on the short side of that equation. :(

7. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

You know that's not a piñata, right?

8. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Did you mean "Castigating a cadaverous equine?"

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :)

Edit: Ooops, sorry. I just realized you aren't the right person. Well, anyway, porsche would have said it that way. lol

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Only way that's gonna happen is if Sherman and Mr. Peabody employ the 'way back machine'.........

10. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Unfortunately you're correct.

11. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

I agree with you. I'm looking at the original photos and just don't see that scratch you indicated.

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And if it hadn't come from NCS but instead had been directly submitted looking like that it would have been detail graded for either environmental damage or improper cleaning.

This is why you are always taking a risk when you send them copper. I have seen a lot of copper ruined by NCS "conservation". They can do well on gold , silver is hit or miss but they hit more than miss, copper is a gamble and in my opinion misses more than hits.

Unfortunately if you read the fine print you will find that you submit to them at your own risk and they aren't liable if something goes wrong.

I don't see the "scratches" There are a few places that look like new scratches on the after pictures but I think it is part of the change in color and lightly because if you look closely they are present in the before pictures.

But they did think they could improve it and they tried. Problem is it went bad instead and as you said they don't guarantee results.

No they do evaluate because some people do get their coins back unconserved because they feel they can't help the coin. I'm sure they thought that they could help your coin but the copper reacted in a manner they didn't expect.

Unfortunately they often do. Not always, but it happens more than it should.

Do you think they would show their bad results?

Good luck with that. i think you will get it back looking like it does now, your fees refunded and they will wash their hands of it.

13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

What ever happened with this?

14. Jaylee

Jaylee Copper Hopper

I'm curious as well. I read the whole thread wondering if they ever made things right.

15. hemi1500

hemi1500 Member

i am curious here too

16. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Results

Well, I have gotten my coin back from NGC and here is the result.

redoneWAMcomboSlabs.jpg

I will let you be the judge as to whether you feel it worked on this one - i.e. you would be ok with the coin if it had happened to you. I am satisfied that the streaks that NCS put on the coin originally have been removed, so that at least the coin is significantly more aesthetically pleasing at first look than it was the first time. So in that respect, NCS did a good job of this, and I give kudos to Craig at NCS for talking to me and dealing with this. I actually received this on Tuesday, but put off taking pics until today due to other things going on in my life.

The coin is not the same as originally, and still is less than it was originally, grade wise, and so will never have the potential value of the coin when sent in raw.

Here are the pics, followed by the first time NGC conserved it, and the original raw coin as sent in. I have learned a valuable lesson, in that copper coins (and Zincolns, too) have a potential to have disastrous results of "conservation". And from comments from people here, there really is no way to predict it, and professional conservation may be no better than something someone might do to clean up a coin at their own home. In this case the coin clearly was diminished; it went from a R to a RB in color, and is at least one, possibly two points lower than it was originally --- all as a result of the conservation. However, NCS did ameliorate the coin to some extent on the second go round.

Attached Files:

17. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

WOW, didn't see this thread originally, but I am crying for you. This is/was a travesty. The second conservation shows that they could have done the first one right and have had better overall results. It would have been much better if you had done the work yourself. Those smears on the originally conservation job looks like residue that was in a solvent they used and was not rinsed off properly. This should make anyone leery of their cleaning service.

18. chip

chip Novice collector

This is what I thought, there is a local dealer (Dennis the dipper) who I have gotten lots of bullion silver eagles from where the dip had not been rinsed all the way off.

Perhaps it was the last job of the day and the person was in a hurry.

I am a bit surprised that NGC did not simply cut a check for the difference in fmv and take back the coin, it seems that it would have changed a lot of negativity to positiveness if that had been done.

19. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

Not the same coin, IMO.
    Just my 2¢

20. crazyhorses

crazyhorses New Member

Someone here told me to send a Large Cent to NCS for cleaning instead of attempting it myself.
    Now I'm glad I didn't.My home-cleaning job came out just fine.Nice even look to it now.No more green around the stars and letters.
    I don't want to get into the debate on cleaning coins,but If I paid someone to clean this coin,and it came back looking like that penny,I would be very dissapointed.

21. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

I don't get it?

Draft saved Draft deleted