My coin got killed!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kasia, Mar 25, 2012.

1. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Aren't they ALL to keep? :)

Go gadget hoarder GO!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Nah, I like spending some on Snickers bars at times, but those are the beat up modern circulated change. ;)

4. Owle

Owle Junior Member

You should have had the coin graded first. If it no-graded due to something they say their NCS can cure, then consider that.

I bought a High Relief Saint from a dealer that was in an MS62 holder, and he was clear that the only reason the coin was not in an MS63 holder was because of a speck on the reverse. So I sent it to NCS, they did whatever they did, were not able to remove the speck anyway, and the coin then looks AU in an MS62 holder.

Get a second or third good opinion before getting any coin conserved where there is a question.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Your privilege to believe that NCS would mess up a coin. I find that less likely than my explanation, and I have no connection and have not ever sent a coin to NCS.

If they found a coin that was "doctored" or had a hidden fault, you expect them to ignore it? Conservation isn't to make the coin just look good, but to restore it ( as close as possible) to an original state. NGC graded it as a MS61, PCGS would have probably graded it as MS60. If it was pulled from circulation after the years, it certainly had a charmed life. Obviously Kasia and NCS are the only ones here that have seen the coin as before and afterwards, so it is their fight. It is just mine and others opinions.

6. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I don't see how that thing fetches a numerical grade now

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Quick update. I just got off the phone with NCS. I first spoke with one of the customer relations people and he only wanted to refund the 26.50 which was what I paid NCS. I told him that was unsatisfactory, as the coin was ruined, and it was ruined by NCS. He didn't seem to have access to the internet to look here on CT with the pics I have posted to see exactly why I was upset, etc., so he transferred me to the Ops Mgr, Craig, who I spoke to. I gave him the info, and we talked. Craig was of the opinion that NCS/NGC should just reverse the charges on this coin. And that the coin "turned" in the slab (i.e., it took some time for the coin to develop this problem, that it didn't leave NCS that way), but that NCS could fix the purplish areas on it.

I was balking at resending the coin back, as to the costs, etc. and my feeling that this coin is forever ruined and cannot be fixed to remain the same grade or higher. I said that I had sent in in based on not only their website that shows that they have good results with before and after, and that they say they know what they are doing with coins. I expressed that people here have shown before and after pics and said how pleased they were. I told him I could not believe that this was an isolated instance, and simply because it was copper. I said that IMO what happened to my coin is probably not the only instance they've had where a coin has done this, but if it had, then I wanted to know why. He said that it was probably all the residue around the edges of the coin that did that when they conserved it. I told him that the only spots I was concerned with was the one on lincoln's shoulder and the large one on the AMER. He said that that one on the shoulder was one that would never come out, no matter, and mentioned the splotch in front of the face. I told him that splotch was not disturbing, and even if it was, that splotch didn't contribute (IMO) to the fact that the coin looked like it had something splashed on it, and then scrubbed, i.e, like a coin doctoring.

I asked to be made whole on this, since it was their doing, and they didn't have to choose to conserve it ("knowing" the spots wouldn't come out on this coin), but they ruined it's value. I said that I sent it in fully knowing that at either a 62 or 63 it was valued at about around 300/350, and I had intended to sell it at some point after slabbing. He only was interested in possibly reimbursing me for the cost I paid for the coin, which was 1 cent. (As in how could they possibly pay me even the "declared" value of the coin when they got it, or the FMV of the coin if I didn't buy it at that price - but they sure can base their costs of conserving off those prices, and charge extra for shipping off those prices. Now that makes no sense.) I told him that was not even to be considered, as I found the coin in a box of pennies from the bank, I had spent my time searching that box for errors with a magnifying glass, and that I found it on the West Coast, which was tremendous, considering a lot of cents don't make it west of the Mississippi. I also informed him that not that many of these have been found, relatively, and as the time goes by it's less likely to find any in MS shape. I told him that to even say that the coin was only valued at 1 cent because that's all I "paid" for it was unsat. That the coin was, when sent valued at between 250 and 350, and that I could have sold the coin raw for 100 easy, but chose to have it slabbed to get it graded and a higher value for me. So the value of the coin is not based on what I "paid" for it, but rather the FMV of the coin when either sold raw or slabbed (which gives it a particular grade).

In the end, I will ship the coin back to NCS for them to take care of with the splotches. I said I would be happy if they took care of it so that it was substantially in the same shape as I sent it originally, and he agreed. I said that I was interested in having the coin in a way that when I sold it that someone would not look at it and not want to purchase it based on it's looks from NCS (bad job). I will send it registered mail, and they will then reimburse me for that cost by refunding to the card I had paid with. They will also ship it to me when done with no cost to me. They will also reverse the charges for NCS/NGC that I paid.

Only time will tell if this can be made right, so let the saga begin......

8. Kasia

Thank you. I think in the future I sure will. So if I'm on CT asking questions about whether a coin should be 'conserved', be brutally honest with me. And humor me if I query why.

Thanks!

9. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

It'll be interesting to see what is done.

10. snapsalot

snapsalot Member

Correct me if I am wrong but were there not also scratches and dings which they added to the coin?

11. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

12. desertgem

Where do you see wear? or corrosion or other factor that would prevent a numerical grade and result in a "no grade"?

I see no wear,~ yes, some scratches, dings, and toning areas (not quite in the corrosion category), so why no numerical grade in your opinion. I have seen some ugly MS-60, 61, from NGC and PCGS.

13. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

What was the point of that post?

14. Good luck on the next round!

15. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

If that residue can be removed sucessfully, with no underlying surface conditions that could impare luster or color--- sure it's MS. As is right now, i just think it wouldn't numerically grade. Just my opinion.

16. desertgem

Kasia, I am glad to see that you communicated ypur concerns and hope for the best for your results.

17. Kasia

Stick around, You'll see that coin on many threads (even if not appropriate).

Thanks, redwin. I get that you will never send your beautiful error coin anywhere, because it's too dangerous to do so outside of your own possession. Please, in the future, don't post something so inappropriate to my thread in my thread, k?

18. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Well, I took another look, and I was in error about the scratches, your were correct. The two deepest scratches, the 1st being the the one that starts below Lincloln's tie and runs parallel to his chest, and the scond one being the upper gouge above the Y were in fact present on the coin before being submitted. You need to look close, but they were in fact there. Probably a lighting thing, but I was wrong.

I am still at odds with the conservation thing. If in fact, it is the conservers job
    to restore it as close as possible to the original state, which one do you believe more closely represents the original state of the coin?

Mike

19. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

20. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

The point was not to entrust this slab coin to any TPG for recertification that some fellow collectors asking me to recertified this coin to a new holder. Scary of being damaged or killed this coin like the OP coin.

21. Kasia

Yeah, that's all one can do. I will hope for good results. Maybe if the coin can be made better so that it can be sold at MS61, with me not feeling bad about it, then that will be ok. I could be satisfied with that result. But I also would like NCS to be more forthright with customers when they get a coin that has spots that they already "KNOW" that cannot be removed, and address them with the customer prior to doing their 'conservation'. Now wouldn't that be a good thing? If that had happened I would have said leave it and just slab it. If they had told me that the coin had a chance of having a really bad result (both front and back) and not taking care of the two spots I was only concerned with (i.e. them knowing ahead of time that those spots would not come out), then.....

But that didn't happen, and the coin is where it is. Sort of reminds me of Kenny Roger's face. He has to live with the results of a bad facelift, and I have a coin that I think would be a miracle if they fix on the second go round. But, I'll send it back and see.

Draft saved Draft deleted