My, Carausius, what a long neck you have...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Mar 1, 2021.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

I'm constantly on the lookout for Carausius' coins, but find myself passing on them when they appear most of the time because it's quite rare for the quality and cost ratio to hit my personal sweet spot. I have wanted a good long-necked portrait variety for some time also, so was pleased when I was the only bidder on this coin last week.

Carausius_Pax_SP-removebg-preview.png
    RIC V2 475
    IMP C CARAVSIVS PF AVG
    PAX AVG
    S/P//-
    25x23mm, 4.44g

Along with the vast majority of Carausius' coinage, this features Pax on the reverse, but overall I think it's a really well rendered coin, and other than the die break on his rather thick and long neck, and the surface roughness that I think is as much to do with corrosion as it is to do with the original state of the flan, it's in a pretty good condition and is rather nicer in the hand too.

Please share your usurpers, long necks, or anything else you fancy.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Long neck coin produced by the London mint.

[​IMG]
    Carausius, Antoninianus, RIC V (2), No. 475:

Obverse depiction: draped, radiate, bust.

Reverse depiction: Pax standing left, holding olive branch in right hand
    Peripheral Inscription: PA - X - AVG | S .....P (left and right)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  4. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

That's a very nice Carausius, I really like the portrait. I can share this Probus with an unnecessarily long neck.

0DA64FC1-9B5A-4CC9-AC8E-1C9F71FF87E9.jpeg

Probus, Antoninianus (23 mm, 3.65 g), Rome, 276. Radiate and cuirassed bust of Probus to r./ Rev.FIDES MILIT / XXIЄ Fides standing l., holding long scepter in her r. hand and transverse signum with her l. RIC 151 var.

Valentinian, Sulla80, Ryro and 10 others like this.
  5. jamesicus

Very nice Probus indeed, @Shea19!

Shea19 likes this.
  6. jamesicus

Very nice “twin” Carausius to mine @thejewk - and thanks for reminding me that the personification of Pax on the reverse is supporting a scepter with her left hand. I am not sure that it is a die break on the neck of Carausius or a prominent vein on his neck depicted by this very skilled die engraver (note the nicely depicted beard).

thejewk and DonnaML like this.
  7. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Great long-necked portrait! Carausius often has a long neck at London, but not always:

Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 5.41.45 PM.jpg
    RIC 101, no field marks, ML in ex. (London)

The long necks on some tetrarchal portraits have suggested to some that the Carausius die engravers continued to work in London:
    135.jpg
    Constantius I as Caesar, London unmarked follis, CT
    2.01.010, ex @jamesicus!

Valentinian, Ryro, Fugio1 and 5 others like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

9. jamesicus

Thank you SA , good additional comment.

Thank you for posting that SA - I should have never let that coin go :( but I am happy it found a home with you! It does appear that some of the original Carausian engravers perpetuated their long neck portrait style as they were intermingled with the Lugdunese die engravers who accompanied the Constantius invasion (of Britain) force.

thejewk and Severus Alexander like this.
  10. jamesicus

Similarly, the British coin engravers often depicted the antoniniani portraits of Allectus with long necks (although not quite as pronounced?):

[​IMG]
    Allectus, Antoninianus, RIC V (2), No. 33:

Obverse depiction: cuirassed, radiate bust.

Reverse depiction: Pax standing left, holding olive branch in right hand and supporting scepter with left hand.

Inscription: PA - X - AVG ..... S - A, left and right, M L in reverse exergue.

London mint
    5.1 gm.

11. thejewk

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I am really looking forward to seeing how the new RIC volume reasons out the chronology of the coins of Carausius. Why no ML in the exergue of this substantial issue? If myself, Jamesicus and Bing each have one, and at least six of the type have sold in the last year at auction, it certainly wasn't a fluke.

12. Tasciovanus76

Tasciovanus76 New Member

I read this post with interest whilst researching a coin I was recently fortunate enough to find. I believe it to be a similar example but can anyone tell me what's happened to the reverse? 20201218_104847.jpg 20201218_104830.jpg

13. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Looks like a double strike (or less likely an overstrike)! A nice coin!

Tasciovanus76 likes this.
  14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Wow. Great giraffe-necks all around.

15. Tasciovanus76

Tasciovanus76 New Member

Thank you for your help. What is the difference between a double strike and an over strike?

16. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

A double strike is when the coin shifts and is re-struck with the same die. An over strike is when coins are recycled and an existing coin is struck with a new die. Pax was a popular reverse, wine is limiting my ability to tell.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  17. Harry G

Harry G Well-Known Member

Fantastic coin! It's unusual to find ones that are in such nice condition, with silvering and such a clear double-strike

18. thejewk

That's a great coin @Tasciovanus76 and the double strike adds to the interest for me.

19. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I never understood the long-neck fascination. In fact, I don't understand the wide-necks either.

Not only does Aurelian have a long neck, it's a pencil one too:
    Aurelian Milan RIC 135 (2020_11_18 03_38_31 UTC).JPG

And here's my man going to the moon with his neck.
    Aurelian Denarius RIC 73.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted