My brother got this as a tip xD

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Gam3rBlake, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

My younger brother works as a server at a sushi restaurant in California and a lot of times tourists eat there and tip with foreign currency.

Sometimes he brings some of the foreign currency home to see if I want it and today he came home with something interesting.

A $1 bill from New Zealand!
    6C0BCCEC-6CB5-4F93-88A1-1E41407DD9AA.jpeg

The funny thing about this is that New Zealand hasn’t printed $1 bills since 1991 and has been using coins for $1 and $2 denominations since then. Like this one.

F538CB40-51F5-43C1-9565-C14DD17AA7D2.jpeg
    I can’t find any date on this but I think I’ll keep it just because I find it interesting.

$1 NZD = $0.70 USD

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Unless your brother was serving a cup of coffee, it seems he got stiffed ;)

Stevearino and goossen like this.
  4. Gam3rBlake

He works at a sushi restaurant. :B

They paid him more than that they just snuck a $1 NZD note in with the US Dollars that were the tip. I think he said they tipped $10 and it was a $5 USD note, 4x $1 USD notes and then this $1 NZD note.

Fortunately because his restaurant gets so many tourists from foreign countries they have a policy where employees can choose to exchange at the restaurant for US Dollars based on the current exchange rate. So my brother could have given this to his boss for $0.70 but he thought it was cool and gave it to me since he knows I collect.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  5. masterswimmer

I was just goofing with ya. I kind of figured it was only a part of the overall tip....hence my ;) at the end of my post. ;)

Kentucky and Gam3rBlake like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Wait.. They don't serve coffee in sushi restaurants?
    Why wouldn't they? o_O

Magnus87 and Gam3rBlake like this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The photo shows the upper right serial number with the last three numbers, 236 moving in an upward direction. They should be flat and straight. Is this really on the note or is the note curved in the photo giving it this appearance?

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  8. masterswimmer

There are lots of folds on that note. I can see one on the right that could easily explain the optical illusion of the numbers slanting upward.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I just can’t tell but I f do see lots of circulation wear.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  10. Notaphylic_C

Notaphylic_C Well-Known Member

What's kind of cool about your NZ tip is that its a "Hardie" note or the first signature of P-169(a) so while discontinued in 1992, your version (AFS prefix with 1st signature) could have (probably) originated from the early eighties.

Spark1951 and Gam3rBlake like this.
  11. Gam3rBlake

Yeah there is a lot of circulation wear. That’s probably why it looks like that.

12. Gam3rBlake

Thanks for that extra info! :)

Any idea if they are still legal tender and accepted by banks & merchants? Or have they been demonetized?

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Sort of like when one of us puts a $2 bill in with the tip. LOL Except the $2 bill is still worth $2.

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  14. Gam3rBlake

Ive left 1oz American Silver Eagles as tips before xD

Usually only on a $100+ bill though since they have such high premiums.

Kentucky and AustinJ0324 like this.
  15. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

For anyone interested in the NZ $1 notes, here are some notes in my collection. Hardie Type 1 1977-81- preceding the shown note above (Queen Facing Half Left), and the two notes issued after Hardie - signed by Russell 1985-89, and Brash 1989-91
    2021-11-27_15185 NZ Dollar.jpg

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  16. Notaphylic_C

Nice early QEII Hardie $1 @BasSWarwick. I bought a near solid after buying the 'sister' solid at auction (how often does that happen?). I like the bird design on the reverse:
    NZ_P163c $1.jpeg NZ_P163c $1_R.jpeg

BasSWarwick likes this.
  17. BasSWarwick

BasSWarwick Well-Known Member

Very nice minty crisp example with desirable serial number. The Fantail bird is featured widely on notes, coins, stamps, etc.

Not sure if you spotted the serial number on the middle note - AMB 505050

Gam3rBlake likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

19. Notaphylic_C

"Not sure if you spotted the serial number on the middle note - AMB 505050"
    - you're right (I was busy eye-balling the earlier P-163). Nice repeater on the "Russell" $1.00 ! Speaking of cool #:
    NZ_P-170c radar.jpeg

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted