My Bargain Gallienus

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 5, 2015.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Here is my bargain Gallienus I picked up for $12 awhile ago. I only got it at first cause I liked the temple reverse, toning and it was going cheap. Considering he is my favorite emperor this is my only second coin of him.

Day after it arrived I looked at it more and saw it was a die clash on the reverse, which made me happier since they are my favorite errors.

[​IMG]
    Gallienus (253 - 268 A.D.)
    AR Antoninianus
    O: GALLIENVS P F AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust right.
    R: DEO MARTI, Mars in temple.
    Colonia Agrippinensis (Cologne) mint, 258-259 A.D.
    21mm
    3.45g
    RIC 10

Reverse Die Clash

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Love the portrait and the fact it is the temple of Mars. Not sure if I've seen this reverse before. Nice pick up.

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

=> cool new addition, Mat ... what does Mars have (a spear and a shield?)

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^Yup
    That attracted me to it too, the reverse. I actually thought the clash was part fo the temple design :oops:.

6. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Nice pickup, Mat. Interesting reverse, and nice bust actually.

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

nice coin! since he's your favorite emperor hope ya dont mind me showin off my first Gallienus, got this a few days ago..
    RIC-672-horz.jpg
    Gallienus AR Antoninianus. Asian mint.
    Obverse: GALLIENVS P.F.AVG, His radiated cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: VIRTVS AVGVSTI, Hercules standing right
    holding lion's skin and leaning on club set on rock. Star in right field.
    RIC 672

randygeki, dlhill132, Eng and 9 others like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice! Looks well silvered.

ken454 likes this.
  9. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, hopefully you folks never get sick of seeing these two Gallienus sweeties?

PAMPHYLIA, Side. Gallienus, Æ 11 Assarion
    253-268 AD
    Diameter: 30 mm
    Weight: 14.25 grams
    Obverse: Laureate and draped bust right above eagle standing right, with wings spread, holding wreath in beak; IA obliterated by c/m of Є within circular incuse
    Reverse: Athena standing facing, head right, holding spear and [thunderbolt], with shield at side; pomegranate to left

Pamphylia Gallienus.jpg

Gallienus, AE Tetradrachm
    Egypt-Alexandria
    264/265 (Year 12)
    Diameter: 22 mm x 23 mm
    Weight: 8.72 grams
    Obverse: Laureate, cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: Eagle standing facing, head left, holding large wreath with spread wings; L IB in upper field

Gallienus Eagle Tet.jpg

sorry Mat => but man, sometimes I just can't help myself!! (I love my coins!!)

:oops:

randygeki, dlhill132, Eng and 7 others like this.
  10. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

A nice DEO MARTI type is on my wants list. I am being very patient.

11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Lovely coins!!!

I have a few of Gallienus, mostly poor quality...so I'll post my example from Troas---besides it has a great horse:D

troas gallienus and horse.JPG

dlhill132, Eng, ken454 and 4 others like this.
  12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

That is a nice type and clash worthy of note. I recently showed my new Mars so here I'll tack on the old version. The interesting part of MARTI PACIFERO is the god being fully dressed. Mars is often shown nude and a figure dressed like this might be called Virtus or a soldier were it not for the legend naming Mars. How are we to know what was in the mind of the coin designer?
    rx1635bb2784.jpg

Since the OP coin is from the joint reign with Valerian, I'll show here a related but very different coin of the father. The reverse is DEO VOLKANO in temple.
    rx1510bb0728.jpg

In the case of joint reigns, it is probably easier to understand the big picture if we look at each mint production as a whole rather than just one ruler but not the other. This type also comes in a CAES obverse for Valerian II and there a a temple coin for Salonina which I do not have.
    http://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=161745

randygeki, dlhill132, ken454 and 6 others like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

My DEO VOLKANO is not pretty, but I've always thought that its looks are appropriate for a coin that calls upon the blessings of the god of fire and volcanoes.

upload_2015-5-6_20-22-13.png

randygeki, dlhill132, Eng and 6 others like this.
  14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

a solid bargain bin score mat! i do that for 12 bucks for sure!

15. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have a bunch of Gallienus zoo series coins; however, for non zoo series, this is my favorite:
    Gallienus 21.jpg
    GALLIENUS
    Billon Antoninianus
    OBVERSE: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate cuirassed bust right
    REVERSE: LVNA LVCIF, Diana walking right holding torch in both hands, PXV in ex.
    Struck at Antioch, 260-268 AD
    3.8g, 20mm
    RIC VI 609

randygeki, dlhill132, stevex6 and 6 others like this.
  16. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

Very nice OP Gallienus and a scarce reverse type for sure. I would have posted more Gallienus coins but I already posted them in a recent thread.

17. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice additions, everyone.

I had a temple Salonina, JW has it now. I have seen others available but never had the urge to add another since I am happy with my coin of her.

I have wanted a DEO VOLKANO type.

18. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

I have noticed that his earlier coins are pretty decent in term of how well they were struck and the still visible silver within the coin. Later in his reign the bottom fell out of the tub and they become pretty wretched looking.

19. Gil-galad

Gil-galad I AM SPARTACUS

I suspect that with all the challenges that Gallienus was facing, he needed more funds to pay the troops and other expenses. So then massive quantities of coins were produced regardless of quality.

20. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Great coin Mat, i love that radiate crown, went on line to see if i could find a real one,back in the day. only pictures of coins. the crown was to show the symbol of the Sun or Solar, Sol, very cool.:)

21. Gao

Gao Member

I just received a $10 Gallienus from Ebay. I'm quite pleased with the unusually good silvering for this price.

[​IMG]

Gallienus
    Reigned 253-268
    Silvered Antoninianus
    Rome Mint
    RIC 346

O: GALLIENVS AVG, Radiate head right.

R: ABVNDANTIA AVG, Abundantia standing right emptying cornucopiae

randygeki, dlhill132, zumbly and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted