My Baltimore Whitman Fall 2022 show recap and haul: No, I don't have an addiction to old bronze

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I attended the Fall 2022 Baltimore Whitman show today. Usually I go on the Friday, but this year I have work obligations on Friday so I attended today (Thursday, opening day) instead. I arrived about 12:30 (half an hour after the doors opened to the general public) and began my rounds. As always, I focused on the Ancients and World dealers. This year I decided to set a fixed budget for the show, so I brought along just a certain amount of cash and left my checkbook at home. I didn't end up with any truly spectacular coins, but I did get a number of pleasant and interesting pieces, including quite a few that will require further research on my part. The show seemed fairly busy to me, with most dealers having at least one customer at any given time. Random overheard bit of conversation: "The Iranians aren't buying anything anymore." Make of that what you will. I ended my show experience at 3:30, when my cash ran out, having spent 3 hours on the bourse floor with just one brief bathroom break. I took some quick photos of my haul- the quality of photos isn't very good, I promise better photos when I do my full write-ups at some later time.

First are two coin purchases from Aristos Numismatics (a Kushano-Sasanian coin and one from the Yausheya Republic) and four coins from Allen G. Berman: two Sasanian silver drachms, a 17th century Spanish piece, and a small Parthian bronze featuring a grain ear on the reverse.
    BW22_1.jpg
    Next up are five coins from Tamco Numismatics: A very thick Mughal bronze of Akbar, silver coin of the Palas in northern India, a very small early Kushan(?) bronze, another Kushano Sasanian, and finally a silver hemidrachm of Elymais. (Most coins of Elymais are bronze, but early coins from the kingdom were often of good silver.)
    BW22_2.jpg
    Next, a bunch of bronzes picked from large piles. Top are four Kushan AE tetradrachms. The bottom has two square AE Indo-Greeks; the round coin on the bottom seems to be Indo-Parthian.
    BW22_3.jpg
    I also picked up a few cheap moderns. I got a couple of Canadian large cents as part of my super-secret side project, plus a large (37 mm) 10 tornesi from the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies that I had to get just for its heft. I picked up a few coins in a pick bin for $3 each: A British East Africa with hole in the middle, late Chinese Imperial struck 10 cash, a Canadian token from Prince Edward Island, and what seems to be invasion money for occupied Poland in WWI:
    BW22_4.jpg
    My last purchase of the day was a book from Charles Davis numismatic booksellers, DeMorgan's classic Manual de Numismatique Orientale. Here's the title page and a sample of the inside showing discussion of the coins of Queen Boran:
    BW22_5.jpg
    That's what I saw and bought at the Fall 2022 Baltimore Whitman show. Please post your own recaps and photos of the show, or any other comments or related stuff you want to.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    sand, Curtisimo, Broucheion and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Why not have an addiction to old bronze? I love it, finding it much warmer than silver or gold coins.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice write-up and great coins.

I like my silver, but bronze does have it's certain charm. If I only collected U.S. coins, I would be solely focusing on large U.S. coppers.

5. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Says the man with a gold coin avatar.;)

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but my daughter is named Irene. It's the highest grade portrait of the empress Irene I have. :)

Tall Paul likes this.
  7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Very nice write up @Parthicus
    Sweet haul of ancients.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your review.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Interesting write-up, @Parthicus. I wish that I have could have "Scotty beam me down" to the Baltimore show and beam me back when I was done. Plane flights are no fun these days, and my wife is now afraid of crime.

The foreign dealers at Baltimore are fun to meet and I've found some nice items there in the past. Maybe some of them will make it to Winter FUN.

sand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted