My Avatar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kaparthy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

It is a medieval penny (denier) from the County of Blois in modern France. I do not own the coin. I found the image while buying coins from medieval Champagne for an article I was writing about the Great Fairs. I recognized the style immediately.

If you look at ancient Celtic coins, you will see what numismatists have called "degraded" styles or "abstract" styles. Some coin folk today call them "Picasso-like." About 15 years ago, Geraldine Chimirri-Russell was given duties for the coin cabinet in addition to other work at the University of Calgary Nickle Arts Museum. Not a numismatist, she was just looking over her inventory and turned one of those ancient Celts obliquely and three-dimensional image jumped out at her. About five years of patient research finally brought her to start publishing and speaking at conferences. She has found similar examples across other cultures. I was startled to see that the ancient Celtic tradition had continued at least in one place in medieval France. The gap is a thousand years.

We learn to see images (especially coins) front-on. This was a Renaissance invention and like movable type, it came to dominate our culture. We no longer view obliquely.

On these ancient coins Chimirri-Russell has found many human faces, but also several monsters or other scenes so disturbing that she refuses to discuss them. Not all "abstract" Celtic coins reveal these images - or perhaps we have not found the proper orientation and view.

Original paper by Geraldine Chimirri-Russell archived at Metamedia Stanford online here. (Scroll all the way down to the bottom to see images of rotated coins.)

My overview of Geraldine Chimirri-Russell's work on FORVM here.
    My comments in Ancients.Info here. (Links to the Fitzwilliam Museum newsletter and the Congress in Madrid announcement are no longer active.)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Thanks for the info and references, looking forward to reading the articles and comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted