My Australian 50 cent collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Someone else posted an Australian 50 cent coin recently, so I wanted to share mine. Most if not all of the ones I don't have were only issued in mint sets and are surprisingly expensive and hard to find.

I don't have time to scan them individually, so I hope this works.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Here are the rest. Scan12.jpg

Attached Files:

Siberian Man and John Anthony like this.
  4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That's are really beautiful collection. Can't decide if I like the earlier ones or the later ones more.

5. Hiddendragon

Thanks. There's a lot of neat designs, and I like big coins. These are all somewhere between a U.S. half and an Eisenhower dollar in size.

6. LionelR

LionelR Supporter! Supporter

Thanks for presenting your collection - very nice!
    Cool thread.
    -L

7. 40_mila_kokkina

40_mila_kokkina Active Member

I own a big collection of commemorative Australian 50 cent pieces too.

8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Think you are missing a scan somewhere Hiddendragon. Dates ranging from 1994 to 2005 - there's a lot of commemorative coins in this area.

I did pull a 2013 50 cents from circulation - have to take photo of that. Just got too many coins to catalog right now.

9. Hiddendragon

It is attached to the second post. When the files are too big they show as attachments.

10. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

My apologies - don't know how I missed it Hiddendragon.

Are you into varieties? There are known varieties for 1970 (think the variety was on the year - whether it's straight or curved), 1994 (wide and narrow date), 2000 (millennium - incused flag).

One thing I hate about these coins is that they weight way too much. At half an ounce (15.5g) each, having ten dollars worth of them means about 10 ounces of... nickel copper (not silver). At the same time, because of the unusual shape of these coins, I just can't put myself in making funky digital coin album for them.

11. Hiddendragon

I'm not really a variety collector. I will collect for different mintmarks, but not for mint varieties. Recently I thought I had all the pennies except the two rare ones, and then I realized there were two mintmarks on many of them (they are very subtle as I'm sure you know), so then I had to add a bunch more to my list.

I was thinking it would be a pain to carry these around in your pocket, but as a collector I like big coins. There is something satisfying about this huge chunk of metal.

Draft saved Draft deleted