My answer to displaying coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by 4to2centBC, Jun 20, 2017.

1. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

all those attributions cluttering up a tray, or getting lost. I have everything stored out in the wild wild web, but I wanted something a lay person would appreciate when I bring a case home for show and tell. I should mention here that most people like the show and not the tell. Detailed reference numbers glaze the eyes immediately.

I put this off for awhile, but finally did something about it. Now that I have a digital template for this Abafil case, I can update the sheet easily if needed.

Getting a light colored ink to contrast was a failure. I had to go with primary red.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I'm 95% satisfied. Not sure if I want to spend more time to get that last 5%.

when this goes back, I need to take a mini break. The bank manager is already shaking her head when I walk in.

Go ahead, post em if you got them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

That is VERY nice!

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I like that a lot! On another note I have the same case for my 12 Caesars.

5. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

This is great! Would love to see more. I've been agonising about display. I'm still using cases that my father bought at a discount supermarket. I just can't quite decide what to upgrade to, because once I've chosen I feel I'll be committed. I love the idea of a wooden cabinet, but I'm leaning towards Abafil at the moment.

6. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

Cool and professional-looking. I can see that working nicely for select display items.

7. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Looks nice. Do the coins move within their little areas?

8. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

That is a very handsome display indeed.

I took a different tack entirely for my "budget" 12 Caesars set. Most of you traditionalists who like your coins "totally naked" like the ones in the OP will differ, and some may even scoff. Say what you will about plastic slabs (I totally understand, and think picking up and handling the coins in that Abafil tray would be wonderful), but the slabs do display nicely, in a manner that even non-collectors can appreciate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this is one reason @Deacon Ray has used them. I mostly use slabs for the ancient portion of my present collection because most of the rest of the collection is certified non-ancient pieces. I do it largely for uniformity's sake.

But if I collected only ancients, I would certainly want a tray that looks like that one you posted in the OP, with an unobtrusive method of tagging and organizing the coins!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    dlhill132, chrsmat71, wxcoin and 16 others like this.
  9. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

I'm an anti-slabber. But I have also passed coins around a classroom, only to hear the heart-stopping CLANK of one hitting the floor. I now pass them around in flips or in flips over a tray, or I let students handle only budget coins.

I must admit that slabs would provide some peace of mind for collectors who regularly have their coins handled by students or novice non-collectors.

Has anyone ever heard of a coin being damaged within the slab? It's a serious question.

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Someone at my coin club was trying to clean up a slab with some nasty chemicals once. The $600 coin inside did not fair much better than the slab.

11. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

Each coin secured in a standard clear PVC free flip with attribution information written on standard acid-free flip card - flips secured in a standard clear PVC free flip page - left hand information page lines up with each row of coins and contains detailed RIC and associated historical information. Heavy duty, inert plastic covered, zip-up three ring binder with brass reinforced spine and corners.

[​IMG]

dlhill132, chrsmat71, TheRed and 11 others like this.
  12. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You guys all have nice displays. Mine is just three ring binders with tag in the flip. I have no incentive to do more since no one I know personally cares enough to even take a look. Aw well. They satisfy me and that's what counts, right? Right?

dlhill132, Kentucky, Puckles and 7 others like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

That's very nice, too. In fact, that's how I displayed my first Roman collection. Indeed, I still have and use my binder like that- it is next to me right now.

The zipper is crucial to stop any errant flips that might have slid out of the pages when you carry the binder. Mine is red leather, also with brass corners like that, but has a steel rather than brass binder/clasp mechanism. I've never seen brass clasps in a 3-ring binder before. It is hard enough finding a classy, executive-style one with a zipper closure. Most zipper binders nowadays are made for school kids and are bulky, padded affairs, often in garish colors.

ancientcoinguru likes this.
  14. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Wow, both are great and what I aspire to have one day. OP, those silvers are soooo nice! (some day, Justin... Some day... )

15. lordmarcovan

Indeed they are. There are some killer tetradrachms in the OP, and I had a similar reaction to them.

Justin Lee likes this.
  16. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I've shown my method before, but heck, there are new members. I also use Abafil, with printed tags underneath. Works well for me with a smaller collection (this would not be viable for more than a few hundred coins. I often mix them up, because, well, why not? As for showing them to anyone...nobody cares. Eyes glaze over, you all know the reaction. This is purely for me and nobody else!

IMG_1192.jpg

dlhill132, chrsmat71, TheRed and 20 others like this.
  17. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

Awesome Alexander Tet

18. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I love it. Great idea.

19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Very elegant!!

20. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Yeah, those trays are fun, until you have hundreds of coins to display.

My current method is the box, but I will eventually break it down to one box for Romans, one box Greeks, one box European medievals and Eastern coins, and one box Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese, etc (4 boxes total, all coins inside arranged in order by dates). That should be enough to house a 600+ coin collection (a lifetime collection). All the odd coins like spades/etc. get their own boxes. See my ancient spade below for example (there is a small catalog # tag on the bottom of that little display case).

Not elegant but very efficient...especially for bank vaults where size = money.

IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

21. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great idea. I like it a lot!

I am now acquiring some rather unique, and sometimes rare pieces that I would like to migrate from my Albums (which I really like and work well for me), to a cabinet to really show off those "special ones."

What kind of translucent material sheet do you use? Where did you get the translucent sheet? Would black laser printing work?

Thanks!

ancientcoinguru likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted