Featured My 30th Roman Republican Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Aug 20, 2020.

1. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

after 60 BC
    r27100fd3299.jpg r27120fd2298.jpg r27310fd3279hd.jpg r27370bb3195.jpg r27390bb2795.jpg r27570bb2346.jpg r27590bb3199.jpg r27610fd2458.jpg r27660bb0749.jpg r28070fd2409.jpg

The scary part is that there are at least 30 more that should be added to this group. That may explain why so many people collect RR denarii.

TIF, Severus Alexander, Ajax and 14 others like this.
  4. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

All 30 are very, very beautiful coins, and together your collection is very gestalt. You should be very pleased and proud!

DonnaML likes this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

30 great coins, @dougsmit. I have five of the first ten, four of the second ten, and three of the third ten, and will be keeping my eye out for some of the others. You're right about my not having any chariots. I do have one with the Dioscuri (first row, third from the left), but it's a little different from most because they're heading in different directions for once!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  6. Aaron Apfel

Aaron Apfel Active Member

That's a really beautiful coin. My collection is nothing compared to most people here but its growing and I still love sharing my interesting ones :happy:

DonnaML likes this.
  7. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

That's a very enviable collection, with many types still on my want list. I'm looking forward to seeing the 2 coins that will fill out the last two slots on that tray.

My own RR collection is small enough that I managed without great inconvenience to get them all out of their envelopes for a quick group pic sometime last year.

Obverses...
    Pile-Tray-RRa.jpg

Reverses...
    Pile-Tray-RRb.jpg

This year so far, I've added only a single RR to my collection.

RR - T Carisius Quadriga 3988.jpg ROMAN REPUBLIC
    AR Denarius. 3.75g, 19mm. Rome mint, 46 BC. T. Carisius, moneyer. Crawford 464/5; Sydenham 985. O: Draped bust of Victory to right; behind, S•C. R: T•CARISI, Victory in prancing quadriga to right, holding wreath in her right hand and reins in her left.

8. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

I like the Caesar in the middle, Zumbly!

ATB,
    Aidan.

zumbly likes this.
  9. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Thanks!

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

When I see a great Republic coin posted, I always have fun looking at some of my coins from the same year, since the moneyers sometime had many varieties...

They may not all be the prettiest, but I enjoy capturing a cross section of the History of the Republic... Fun to be able to touch the timeline.

Here are my 81 BCE Roman Republic:

I have 2 of these:
    upload_2020-8-21_7-39-24.png
    upload_2020-8-21_7-38-41.png
    RR Anon AR Quinarius 81 BC Apollo MARIUS GAUL Victory S 305 Cr 373-1

(I always felt the Horses were having FUN racing the Quadriga.
    upload_2020-8-21_7-39-56.png
    RR Annius Luscus Hispaniensis 82-81 BCE AR Den Fem scales caduceus Quadriga Q Sertorius S 289 Cr 366-1

11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Like Donna's, you have a supremely nice collection of specimen (they have detail & "the look"!). Oddly (or maybe not), I really like the "holed" coin, imagining the provenance & life it's been through...:happy::singing:;)

TIF and zumbly like this.
  12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Agreed! That's one of the nicer ones I've seen! :happy::singing:;)

Alegandron likes this.
  13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Thank you.

14. TLROMA

TLROMA New Member

15. TLROMA

TLROMA New Member

No need to apologize for this very nice collection. Beautiful coins

DonnaML likes this.
  16. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on reaching 30 Donna.

DonnaML likes this.
  17. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Dont feel bad. 30 is still 22 more then me :) And strictly speaking, mine are not even 'Republic', more 'Imperatorial', if I was to believe the index used by some auction houses.

I find the designs of the republican coins very interesting and appealing. I see myself plunge into these one day. Your group shows very interesting designs, and each coin shows high quality.

@zumbly, also a great group! I really like the Sextus Pompey denarius, with the Scylla reverse. In my opinion one of the more attractive designs, of the imperial period. Its high on my wantlist, but its difficult to find an affordable one with acceptable flaws (a beauty is just too expensive!).

DonnaML and Alegandron like this.
  18. DonnaML

A lot of great coins there, @zumbly. Some of them look very familiar!

In terms of the empty slots on my tray, the photo I posted is cropped, so I actually have room for a lot more than just two more Republican coins! Here's a photo of the entire tray, which holds my small handful of Greek coins as well as my Roman Republican coins (again, click to enlarge):

Greek & Roman Republican coin tray 8.21.20 (1).jpg

TIF, Severus Alexander, Ryro and 9 others like this.
  19. DonnaML

I see I'm not the only one who's been going through the Schaefer binders looking for die matches! For some types it can be a very painstaking and time-consuming process, but I agree that it was much easier and faster for this one: I could eliminate many examples very quickly, based solely on the angle of the togate figure's arm and elbow in relation to the eagle on the reverse. It was almost as easy to eliminate obverses, based on Hispania's "disheveled" locks of hair.

Sulla80 likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Boy howdy, that sure is a handsome looking tray! :greedy:

I would post my single, solitary RR coin, but it has already been posted ad nauseam here, so I'll skip it this time.

DonnaML likes this.
  21. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What a lovely coin. The toning on it is awesome.
    A_Postumius_Hispan-1.png

Curtisimo, Edessa, TIF and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted