My 1st round of Coins to CAC

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Travlntiques, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Good luck TRV, those are some nice coins. I'll let CAC do the stickering, my eyes are too old. I've only got one gold bean out of 100 or so submitted. Last I checked I was hitting about 63%.

I love that SLQ......:eek:

Travlntiques likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

So, it would be impossible for an MS70 coin to get a sticker? And if a coin already has a PCGS "+" grade a CAC sticker wouldn't mean anything additional?

4. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

CAC doesn't consider all coins and it does not review moderns (with the exception of business strike Ikes for some reason). I don't think there are MS70 classic coins, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. In theory, if you're hiding a raw MS70 chain cent somewhere, CAC would sticker it if it slabs and if CAC felt it was a solid 70 and not a 69 incognito.

And if a coin has a +, it should sticker in most cases (i.e. if accurate).

5. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Very nice, I think that sounds realistic....and if it's a yes on the V-Nickel & San Diego that would give a 50% sticker ratio which is pretty close to Chief!

Thank y'all for the kind words so far! I submitted them a little earlier because I didn't want everyone to have to wait for the results. Submission was received on the 23rd......so I should have an update in the coming days :)

6. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

The "V" nickle or the 2.50 Goldie?

7. Mr Roots

Mr Roots Underneath The Bridge

After reading up on CAC stickers last night, it's official this hobbie is a bigger joke than sports cards...You pay good money to have a coin graded and then pay again to have another company say how good the grading company did.....What's next, the U.S. Mint starts putting one of a kinds in circulation and people hunt for them like a Willy Wonka golden ticket..?

MIGuy, Paddy54 and davidh like this.
  8. Whipps

Whipps Well-Known Member

Love that Franklin

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  9. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It looks like I am going to eat a little crow... :) PM sent.

10. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

As @Coinchemistry 2012 eluded, the results are in!
    I'm tremendously surprised by the ones that did receive a sticker and think everyone else will be too. Obviously I sent them in because all looked "PQ" to me, but 1 of the odds on favorites didn't get a bean....and my old PCGS rattler San Diego not only didn't get a gold bean, it didn't get a green one either! Very interesting! I've actually had so much fun with this batch that I plan on sending more in soon enough. It's not just a sticker after all, CAC gives your coin the highest level of prestige it can currently get in that holder....and I want my favorites to feel special :) Same reason I put an extra coat of wax on my car, it doesn't need it, might be a waste of time and money in others opinions, but I like it and the process helps maintain the value better.
    So, without further ado:

1. 1906 Nickel Liberty Head NGC PR64 ~ Not CAC
    2. 1923 Quarter Standing Liberty, Type 2 PCGS MS63 ~ Passed
    3. 1944 Half Dollars Walking Liberty PCGS MS65 ~ Passed
    4. 1953-S Half Dollars Franklin PCGS MS65 ~ Passed
    5. 1879-S Dollars Morgan NGC MS63 ~ Passed
    6. 1885 Dollars Morgan NGC MS65 1~ Passed
    7. 1907 $2.50 Gold Liberty PCGS MS63 ~ Not CAC
    8. 1936-D Silver Commemoratives San Diego PCGS MS63 ~ Not CAC

5 out of 8 is solid, I am pleased!

11. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Well maybe this will make you smile the V- Nickel is an 1906 43.1 variety 1 repunched south,6 repunched north 9&0 slightly south closed 9&6 RPD. :)
    Buy the coin not the sticker.....I rather have the variety !

MIGuy and Travlntiques like this.
  12. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I just feel like CAC is all over the place. Coins that almost everyone can agree are worthy dont get stickered, and vice versa. I know they help a coin sell sometimes, but I have lost some faith in them. I am glad you are pleased with your results. It's fun playing the game and getting the results.

MIGuy likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here's the formula: to get a green sticker, the coin needs original skin/toning, and to be passable as 1 grade higher.
    To get a gold sticker, the coin has to look just plain stupid in it's current holder, or passable as 2 grade steps higher.

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Do an eBay search for gold CAC, excluding gold coins because the filter can't do that. You'll find 95% of gold CAC's are buffalo nickels, Morgan and Peace dollars, merc dimes, and Walking and Franklin halves.

Try to find an old type coin with a gold cac. There are currently 2 large cents, one half cent, a couple seated liberty coins, etc... they just aren't out there.

15. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Good results TRV....................63%

Draft saved Draft deleted