My 1st dive into Walker Halves

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Jan 29, 2021.

1. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Well, I did it. Decided to start a Walking Liberty Half collection. After looking at the series for quite some time (obsessively, I might add), I decided on my first two. I think I am going to try something new with the set with an idea of "best I can afford" as compared to my previous sets which were all set at a certain grade standard. In this manner I hope to have a good gradation of Walkers to compare against each other. I figured if I don't like it, I can always upgrade and downgrade to gain a matching set. Thanks for looking!

1921 p walker obverse.jpg 1921 p walker reverse.jpg 1921 s walker obverse.jpg 1921 s walker reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Rather novel approach. :)

4. coinup

coinup Junior Member

Good start.

Are you only picking up graded?

5. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

No, I am more of a raw collector honestly. However, I do like to have them graded if they are going to be the key or semi key dates.

tibor and coinup like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

A great choice and my favorite U.S coin. My set is complete with the 1921 PDS being in Fine 15 as I could afford. 1939 -1947 are all MS.

Stevearino likes this.
  7. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I think the "best I can afford" idea is a great one. Makes the set more fun and exciting because you have a nice array of mint state pieces as well as worn pieces which represent a lot of history.

capthank and tommyc03 like this.
  8. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice idea. Good luck and keep us posted.

SorenCoins likes this.
  9. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Off to a good start; 2 tough ones look nice and original.

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

VERY nice start.
    Good that you followed the general recommendations (something I often don't):
    1. Go for the keys first (like you did).
    2. Buy the best you can afford.
    3. Make sure the coins are genuine.

Keep it up.

runninghorse1 likes this.
  11. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@dimeguy, welcome to a great "society." Walkers, Mercs and Flying Eagle cents are my favorites. I completed a Walker collection as a teenager by going through the cash register in my parents' cafe. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough back then (about 1963-67) to upgrade coins. Once a hole was filled in my "Library of Coins" albums I didn't set them aside. I still have the albums.

May I see photos of the full labels on the slabs?

Steve

capthank likes this.
  12. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. I truly have forgotten how nice collecting circulated coins feels. My last set of circulated coins was my first, a Merc set of F-XF I put together as a teenager into my early twenties. It is nice not to worry about luster breaks and fine markings on the fields and other such devices.

I am looking forward to learning of the series and grades. I feel with my other sets, I was becoming too telescoped. The Lincoln set I am putting together for example is all low MS. Now that I am getting to the harder dates I am having to go AU on some of the coins, but feel I have been looking at MS cents for so long I do not trust my gauge of AU graded coins. Hopefully having a inclusive set as these Walkers will help out in being more rounded for visual grading of the series.

As for the pic of full labels, sorry I forgot in my excitement for the coins. One is PCGS other is ICG. I know ICG isn't one of the main three, but the coin was attractive, appeared original in surface and was cheaper than similarly graded NGC counterpart so I bought it.

the pair.jpg

13. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

They are beautiful coins. I have multiples of each date. I like raw coins. Hard to resist purchasing another when the price is right.

14. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

So now I'm feeling elitist! I wouldn't have bought either one of those coins because of the wear. I have turned away from WLHs if I couldn't get good head details, for example. But I'm beginning to suspect that unless I want to spend more than I'm willing, I'm going to end up passing by some good deals. I suppose I am just going to have to accept the wear I see down the middle of the obverse of these coins.

15. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I only have Walkers for my Birth Year set.
    Unfortunately that year was 1941 so I have to have two proof coins, with AW and without AW.
    As I understand it the Mint used business strike dies to also strike the proofs.
    In polishing them up for making proofs they wiped the designer's initials off one reverse die.

Stevearino likes this.
  16. 05Wildcats

05Wildcats Well-Known Member

This week at LCS, I purchased a 1934 AU, 1935 AU58, 1936 MS63, 1937 AU, 1938 MS60 and a 1939AU. It has been months since I found a group of 30's this nice.

17. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

great job and good looking pair. keep us up to date on your set, good luck

Stevearino likes this.
  18. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

I'm also a Walker Walker, but started at the other end of the timeline; from 1947. I agree about how beautiful they are; for me the apex of circulating US coin design. Both sides are the bomb.

Stevearino likes this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

From the little acorn grew the great oak tree. Good luck!

Stevearino likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted