My 1968-S Lincoln

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BadThad, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Lonestar

Lonestar New Member

A nice cent for sure. Makes me wanna dig back thru my penny stash.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Why don't the TPG's recognize the FS designation for Lincolns?

4. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Okay, now you guys have gone and done it to me again. I just have to go thru my memorial stash and really check the steps.
    Fortunately I just reorganized them by date. Now to do it by mint mark and for steps to name just one diag to look at/for again. I love this place.

zeke

5. coop

coop Senior Member

The columns also suffer a lot of bag marks as well. Not on the OP coin though. But for your own searches it would be something to watch out for.

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Yes, I have a few rolls of the 68 S also. Never gave them much thought and now guess I need to find time to go through them and take another look

But I did stash them by year and mint, thankfully.

7. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Not sure but FS has never been a concern for collectors until I came along apparently. :D

It definately should be! The Memorial cent has the finest, most defined steps out of all US coinage. Why they have been ignored is beyond me.

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am sure they would if there was a $$$$fee for it

9. coop

coop Senior Member

PCGS uses their numbers, but no one else. Figure that one out?

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

With an obverse lacking that much detail, I'd be hard pressed to give it higher than a 65.

11. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Great, now he's gonna go through another 100+ rolls.

12. johnnyflesh

johnnyflesh New Member

Heck of a nice coin! I have my witman book for memorial cents from when I was a kid and only now appreciate how rare it is to find older ones in the condition yours is in.

13. sro114

sro114 New Member

Nice find, I'm pretty confident PCGS would grade it as a 66. I don't think they'd knock you down to 65. I could be wrong however, they are awfully tough on memorial's and seem to have issues understanding the strike and relief on the 60's.

And thanks, now I'm going to have to tear into the six rolls I've had forever.

I know I'm a newbie, so somebody please explain why this thread is so wide?

14. BadThad

1968 was the last year of using the 1916 master obverse hub. After 52 years it was a little worn out. LOL

15. BadThad

Yes. Also, seek Memorials with complete, well-struck cornices. The steps AND the cornice are two problem areas. On many coins the cornice will be nothing but a blob in spots.

16. BadThad

Futile....see my comment about 1916. LOL

17. BadThad

Yes! Rip those OBW's open and see what you have. That's why they exist. However, don't get too excited. Most of the OBW rolls I open have improperly stored, corroded, spotted, late die state, etc. coins in them. It's something Memorial cent collectors have to deal with. That's why it takes searching so many coins to find a good one.

18. BadThad

Oh, the forum is wide because of the pictures EyeEat posted. High res images seem to do that to this forum.

19. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

oh no,, am I going to get banned here too? off to go look for the suggested pixel width sorry

20. BadThad

Nah, it's not your fault, it's the forums and the way it handles the larger images.

21. EyeEatWheaties

EyeEatWheaties Cent Hoarder

Thanks for the reassurance, I am a little gun shy.

Hey! BTW I cracked open a 68S roll and at first blush........ I'll have to photograph/post and share/compare to be sure.. stay tuned

I said I was going to put the memorials away, they are too confusing for me, I feel like I am on information overload, curiousity got the best of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted