MY 1893 $2.5 Liberty Eagle, What The Heck

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bear32211, May 23, 2020.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I've just pulled a couple coins out of storage. One, an 1893 Two and a Half Dollar Liberty and noticed what I call 'crackling'. It is on the obverse and reverse. 1893 2.5 rev 1.jpg 1893 2.5 rev 2.jpg 1893 2,5 ob 1.jpg 1893 2.5 ob 3.jpg Help an old man out on this with all the expertise I can get here, thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dima

Dima Member

I haven't seen this before, but my initial thought is that *maybe* this coin was plated? Certainly curious to see what more experienced folks here think..

Beefer518 likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Unless my eyes deceive me, the obverse cracks appear to have significant depth to them. If that's the case, I question the coin's authenticity.

5. bear32211

This came from a group of the same year collection but sold as 'piece out', at an auction a while back.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

For it to crack like that it makes me think the coin is not genuine. I've never seen a gold coin look anything like that. Was it plated? Is it even gold?

7. bear32211

This is very concerning, it was purchased from a well known auction house several years ago. So how many possible fakes are really out there then ?

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Try an acetone bath. It may be lacquered and the lacquer is cracking.

9. bear32211

Tried the Acetone bath here is an after gold obv.jpg

10. bear32211

Very odd how it hasn't changed, the "crackling" look is still there, I guess just an old coin.

11. Blasty

Blasty Gold Member

Can you weigh it? Or in lieu of that, take it out of the holder and drop it on the table so see what sound it makes? The cracking looks a lot like what old pot metal does, and a coin made of plated pot metal wouldn't sound metallic at all.

The entire surface looking off (even for a cleaned coin), plus that wart on liberty's jaw and the lump on the rim at 5:00, raise further suspicion in my opinion.

Interested to see what you find out.

12. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

That's very interesting. Could it be a form of lamination? There could have been dirt or something that got mixed in with the metal used for the coin. Then, maybe when it was minted, the dirt caused the cracks. But probably no. Just throwing ideas out there. Maybe @paddyman98 will know what it is.

13. bear32211

Normal weight of the coin is 4.18 grams, my scale has this coin at 4 grams but it is not exact to the hundredths.

14. bear32211

weighs at 4 grams on my scale but it's not exact, normal weight is 4.18 grams.

Draft saved Draft deleted