My 1893 $2.5 Coronet Head Gold Coin "Crackle" ?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bear32211, May 23, 2021.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Hello all,
    Got this 1893 Coronet 2.5 gold coin and after further examination the obverse seems to have an issue. The pictures provided show, what I would describe as a crackling effect, like you get on paintings, on the obverse at the lips and front of the face. anyone else have a coin like this, and, what would cause this ? The reverse is fine. 93 ob lam 3.jpg 93 ob lam 2.jpg 93 ob lam.jpg 93 rev.jpg

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I dont like the looks might be fake,can you weigh it.

bear32211 likes this.
  4. William F

William F Well-Known Member

I don't know much about early gold, it's interesting, looks like there's quite a bit on the reverse as well? Sorry I can't be more help, I'm interested to see what some of our members who have experience with gold have to say....

bear32211 likes this.
  5. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

The coin appears to have issues on Obverse and reverse.

You should check weight, thickness and diameter to make sure they are up to specs.

Like @potty dollar 1878 said, I'd be concerned that it is fake. 4.18 Grams, 90% AU, 18mm diameter, Thickness 1.2 mm/ 0.047 Inches

Honestly it screams fake, gold doesn't usually go like this. Seems to be like painted on.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1893-2-50/7845

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  6. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

How much did you pay for this? I'd be looking to get a refund personally.

Even with the fuzzy, out of focus pictures, the reverse has lots of pitting, as if it was cast, I'd hazard a guess its a cast lead or pewter fake that has been painted over, hence the painting crackle look. @Jack D. Young Do you know anything about these?

7. bear32211

4.17 gm

8. bear32211

9. bear32211

weight 4.17 gm. I'll check measurements

Lueds likes this.
  10. Dima

Dima Member

I recall seeing a post here on CoinTalk some time ago (within last 12 months?) of somebody also posting a Liberty Head quarter eagle with exact same "crackling" characteristics. I recall folks replying there as well with similar feedback and suggestions. Might be worthwhile to find that post?

bear32211 likes this.
  11. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Talked with some gold and counterfeit experts and the consensus is not genuine; I'm told the devices appear off, the date area and extra wide rims are giveaways. No one actually commented on the crackles.

Lueds and bear32211 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted