My 1882-S Worth Sending In ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Jul 26, 2016.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Just got this 1882-S in the mail. The obverse is toned and the reverse has a tone area at the bottom. It has the cartwheel effect. Is it worth sending in ? Where's Dave ? DSC01538 (2).JPG DSC01537 (2).JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. skully88

skully88 Active Member

That's an S not an O

bear32211 likes this.
  4. bear32211

that's what happens when you haven't had your coffee yet .

micbraun and skully88 like this.
  5. bear32211

IT'S AN "S" PEOPLE AN "S" !

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

All I can think about is your carpet putting nice little hairlines all over your coins

coinguy-matthew and bear32211 like this.
  7. bear32211

I use my glove.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Let's look at this not from a "value" standpoint, but from the perspective of where it'd stand in the hierarchy in a slab.

It's a lovely coin, nice pullaway toning on the obverse, well-struck, excellent reverse, but even in the oversharpened obverse images I see enough skritchiness to doubt it'd exceed MS64. So let's contemplate what kind of company it would have in an MS64 slab. At PCGS and NGC each, it would be one of 30,000 just like it in MS64 slabs. From each service, there will be another ~25,000 slabs with higher grades than that.

This is one of the least-expensive Morgans in MS66, much less MS64. I, for one, cannot articulate any good reason to put such a coin in a slab, or even to keep one in a slab if I got it that way. Free the cartwheels.

SilverMike, Paddy54, green18 and 4 others like this.
  9. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Hmm - first post did not work. I think it looks like a really nice coin, but hard to get a feel for it. I think is it worth it - no (still a nice coin)- otherwise only if you want it in a slab.

bear32211 likes this.
  10. bear32211

Thank you for your expertise on the 82-S. When you mention the numbers slabbed by NGC and PCGS, they are staggering. What about ANACS ? Just a question, I mean I picked this up for $25. Do you feel it would be a stretch with them also if the best grade would be 64 ?

11. bear32211

I've got one at 63 I just love the toning on that piece too.

12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I'd self-slab it and put it in an Everslab or Amos holder. I agree with Dave, having an 82-S in a 64 slab doesn't add any value. If the coin would grade 65, then maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

ANACS, being a much smaller company (and only having relatively recent slabbing statistics) only adds about 6600 to the total.

I question the wisdom of slabbing any Morgan at all which does not qualify as a Conditional Rarity. What makes sense about adding yet another example to a Population reaching six figures? Is there really a market for 60,000 1882-S's in MS64?

Why bother?

bear32211 likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Gloves can do it as well, believe it or not. Just something to keep in mind....

jwitten likes this.
  15. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

And if you use gloves to put it on a scratchy carpet, why does it matter if you have gloves on anyways?

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

17. BooksB4Coins

Got me there...

Nothing like a little double whammy though. ;)

bear32211 likes this.
  18. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

See that little quote under SuperDave's handle. "Free the cartwheels." That is there for exactly this coin if it were in a slab. That right there should tell you all you need to know. It's a nice coin but a year/mint that needs to be down right superb to require a coffin ;)

19. bear32211

So how do we move them then mind over matter, ah er, gloves?

20. BooksB4Coins

Eh, bare hands.....

bear32211 likes this.
  21. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

If you really love it then its worth it

bear32211 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted