My 1881-S Morgan, Ruined ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bear32211, Oct 26, 2018.

1. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

I got this at a sale here I my town. I picked it up because of the tone of the coin. My question is, has the spotting on the coin both obverse and reverse, ruined it ? Can I do anything to remove this or leave it the way it is ? DSC05779 (2).JPG DSC05784 (2).JPG DSC05777.JPG DSC05783.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IBetASilverDollar

IBetASilverDollar Well-Known Member

It's an 81-S so a good coin to experiment with without losing any value. I think it will dip right off and is definitely a good candidate to do so with. You can soak in acetone first because why not but ultimately I think a quick dip will take that right off and be a good learning experience if not

bear32211, Dougmeister and ddddd like this.
  4. Robert91791

Robert91791 Well-Known Member

I had a beat up silver 1941 washington quarter from the grocery store that is dirty and I soaked it in baking powder and distilled vinegar. The toning came off. However the coin is still a beat up coin. Soaking time 5 Minutes.

5. bear32211

How long should it sit in the acetone ?

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If it doesn't come off in a couple of minutes, it probably won't, and I suspect from the appearance it won't, but it won't hurt to leave as long as you like , just not evaporate entirely. As suggested above, a dip in a silver-dip coin product should remove it. Use a diluted solution if you haven;t done it much, checking often , so you don't get a over-dipped appearance. Jim

longshot and bear32211 like this.
  7. bear32211

I placed it in the acetone and will check it in about 15 minutes to see if anything has happened.

8. bear32211

there has been no change so I will let it sit a little longer in the acetone.

9. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Yea, that looks like its already been cleaned..so i dont think you can harm it much more at this point. Experiment. Try the old hot water, baking soda and aluminum foil trick. Ill bet that takes it off, maybe

Draft saved Draft deleted